Yet Another Noob Q: Firmware Flashing?

akeley

Hi folks

Quick question from a new user...

Just got a Classic unit off ebay - it came with Zaxxon Hotfix 5 installed. As far as I can tell it is rather outdated, so before  I start messing about I`d  like to get it up to date - which to my understanding is SuperZaxxon 1.55.

I have absolutely no prior experience with Linux based hardware - frankly, I`m not even sure if Zaxxon is Linux or is it firmware or is Angstrom the OS ...oh lawd ;)  

,,,therefore just wanted to make sure I`m doing the right thing. Namely, would I be okay if I just follow the flashing instructions from the 1.55 thread (copy 1.55 to SD, "boot from SD1" and wait for the Wizard)? Or is there anything else required afterwards to have the minimenu/XFCE and assorted apps working?

Thanks!

I have absolutely no prior experience with Linux based hardware - frankly, I`m not even sure if Zaxxon is Linux or is it firmware or is Angstrom the OS ...oh lawd  

Zaxxon(old) and SuperZaxxon is based off a Linux distribution geared for mobile device called Angstrom..  Firmware is a bit of a confusing term IMO when it deals with the Pandora, this is because when we mean flashing the firmware we mean erasing and installing the OS on the internal storage (NAND).  

Once you're on a modern SuperZaxxon install, there is an Update Your OS option that updated the software through the internet..so going through the reflashing process isn't needed as much anymore unless you really mess up the OS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies guys, things are much clearer now. And  yes, the whole operation was fast and painless - no problems at all. 

Now, onto another bunch of questions, probably best placed elsewhere though...

Back