Yet Another VoIP Thread (halp!)

AquaAnalogue

I did use the search function, guys, I really did, but I'm stuck in a rut here.

I cannot get VoIP working. I tried the Linphone PND, and also spent 2 hours installing a debian extend and installing ekiga in that and getting the X server working only to have it crash with ALSA saying something about "dsub" and a playback stream.

I am moved into my new apartment at the Institute and, while it is absolutely lovely, they apparently forgot that landline phones exist. Since I'm not exactly a mobile phone kind of guy (texting is fine, but talking on them is annoying), it's a real bummer. What's even more of a bummer is that I can't get VoIP working either except for running Windows on my main machine, which sucks because it reset my "Hours Without A Non-Gaming Use for Proprietary Software" (HWaNGUPS) to zero (from somewhere impressively approaching two years).

I guess that's okay though, because now I can actually start counting (not really, my neckbeard isn't that long yet).

I really thought this would be a much bigger topic, but nobody seems to be excited about the fact that the Pandora has all the hardware to have a free phone as long as you're within WiFi range most of the time which... if you aren't and you have a Pandora, you might need to re-evaluate your connectivity choices.

Please help this VoIP uber-n00ber make this happen, d00dz!

None of my pnds in this field works.

I know for sure that using debian ekiga works. What I dont know is how.

I know I have viddied someone using it on youtube, I think it was Alerino, but I did not see a guide to setting it up.

There just has to be a way to get it to work on Zaxxon. I'd be willing to try and hack it together but I really don't know much at all about VoIP stuff and I need a temporary solution for teh nao; I don't want to boot into Windows again because the only thing that kept the vomit down was discovering my old forgotten ecchi wallpaper collection.

... and even Ayanami Rei in a very minimalised plug-suit and a pack of TUMS wouldn't be enough to hold it down again.

Back