Y'Know What WOULD Be Really Nice??

I got it re-flashed last night. got some phone help on this one, and he explained to me I needed to re-install the codecs.

I was not understanding what that was...I thought that was a package of pre-installed programs on the Pandora, like the media player, etc...but it actually I guess is the stuff that RUNS those things...kinda like a device driver is to a peripheral on your PC.

Seems re-flashing firmware wipes out the codecs, and so you have to replace them.

anyway, all is working well now.

Smallifying my icons was a great thing, now I have more icons on my desktop. Also, being able to easily move the icons on the desktop is great. Will be still greater if I could only figure out or be told how to go through re-naming them...and I mean step-by-step, not a refer to a link written n Greek that's about 5 pages long, and so therefore doesn't help, since I don't actually understand what I'm reading.

I wish I was better at coding and this sort of stuff, but I'm not...so I'm not really interested in learning theory since I don't understand it...just want a quick set of instructions do A, B, C and D to result in E.

I know just enough to be dangerous. Anyway, even if I CAN'T re-name them...being able to easily GROUP them is helping considerably.

A tip that was given to me was to keep the codec pack on the SD card, even though you don't HAVE to.

It doesn't take up much space, and you have it then, if you ever need to re-flash.

Also suggested to keep the zip file of the flash firmware (latest edition) on there. This way, you can always extract it out to the SD card when and if you need to re-flash...and it won't accidentally re-flash, because it's still zipped.

Doesn't take up much space on your card, either.

Or you can keep the firmware unzipped on your SD Card so that you could always flash on the fly.

Thanks for all the help I have gotten so far on this topic.

Now, thanks to smallifying my icons, which I didn't know you could do...I have 42 icons on my desktop. I could have up to 45, but I leave three spaces free, because if you shut down and re-start certain icons come back that can then be deleted again, but at least it doesn't bump anything off your desktop that way.

The things that come back are the icons to set the controls for Digger, Dega, and gpfce.

These aren't needed once you HAVE set them the way you want them, so you can always delete the icons from your desktop.

They will always come back on a re-start if you really need them...or you can still get them from the menu...assuming that you put the .pnd in "apps" rather than "desktop"

Someone got back with me about how you re-name icons, but I'm not totally clear on it yet, so we will see if I get some (enough) clarification to be able to accomplish it. Then everything is gonna be beautiful.

Just to let everyone know, these are the icons I have on my desktop currently:

Emulators:

PanMAME

MAME4All Beta

MAME-EX

FBA

GnGeo

PCSXReARMed

Stella (Atari 2600)

Atari 7800

Handy (Atari Lynx)

Coleco

jzintv (Intellivision)

RACE (NeoGeo Pocket)

gpfce (NES)

SNES9X4P (SNES)

gPsP (GBA)

Gambatte (GBC/GB)

PicoDrive (SEGA Genesis, Master System)

Dega (Sega Game Gear)

Hugo (PC Engine)

Computers:

Vice x64 (Commodore 64)

openMSX_PND (MSX)

UAE4ALL (Amiga)

SDLTRS (TRS-80)

Media:

Audacious (Music)

VLC Media Player (Video)

Tools/System:

AbiWord (word processor)

PandaBAS (BASIC programmer)

Gnumeric (Spreadsheet)

PortaBase (database app - Access)

Firefox (browser)

qOrganizer (datebook/planner)

Games:

Open Yahtzee

PanMines (minesweeper)

Peg Solitaire

Color Code (Mastermind)

LinCity (Sim City)

T-World (Chip's Challenge)

Zelda Classic

Tetris Queen

Classic Invaders

Mr. Drillux

Digger

Temper in my honest opinion is one of the best emu's out there . and is way better than Hugo

Someone got back with me about how you re-name icons, but I'm not totally clear on it yet, so we will see if I get some (enough) clarification to be able to accomplish it. Then everything is gonna be beautiful.
The cumbersome, but easy way:

1) Pandora Menu => Switch Gui

2) A list should pop up => choose MiniMenu, press the Ok button (no worries it is just temporary)

3) After a short time MiniMenu should show up

3.1) In MiniMenu all pnds are sorted by their category in tabs, but there is no "desktop" so you have to select the appropriate tab

4) choose the tab with the left/right shoulder button => in your case select the "game" tab and use the dpad to navigate to the pnd you want to rename

5) if the pnd is highlighted press the [space] and menu should show up on the right side of the screen

6) use the dpad to "Change displayed title" and hit [enter] or the b action button

7) rename as you like and press [enter] to finish

8) press [enter] again to confirm

9) close the menu (with any other key/button than [enter] or the b button

10) Minimenu will now reload the pnds and the pnd should now show up with the name you gave it

11) repeat the process from 5) to 9) with every pnd you want to rename

12) to go back to xfce press [select]

13) use the dpad to highlight "Run another GUI (xfce, etc) and press [enter]

14) choose "xfce" from the list and press the Ok Button

15)done

Last edited by a moderator:
Stick that in the wiki? We need more simple docs .. when I write them, they get too complex :eek:

Minimenu succeeded in a lot of ways, but its definately not as 'simple' as I wanted it.. we piled it a bit 'too much' I think (stuff like the ovr editor really shoudl be an external tool perhaps, and keep the menus and options to minimum.. that being the whole point of it and all ;)

It is tempting to refactor the UI, try to get a super minimal sleek design, breaking all the skins in the process... *shrug*

jeff

Stick that in the wiki? We need more simple docs .. when I write them, they get too complex
tried that once in the qemu section, but most people tend to ignore the wiki

It is tempting to refactor the UI, try to get a super minimal sleek design, breaking all the skins in the process... *shrug*
I know your busy with your game, but please pleas please with cream and a lot of suggar on top (I could also throw in some romper suits if need be) do it ! I'm a not very happy xfce user by now as I never really use multitasking but Minimenu falls short on features now.

Stick that in the wiki? We need more simple docs .. when I write them, they get too complex
tried that once in the qemu section, but most people tend to ignore the wiki

I know your busy with your game, but please pleas please with cream and a lot of suggar on top (I could also throw in some romper suits if need be) do it ! I'm a not very happy xfce user by now as I never really use multitasking but Minimenu falls short on features now.
I use the wiki loads, keeps me entertained at work :)

When I receive my Pandora I can foresee minimenu use, so I will drop my thoughts in after a good play around :)

I didn't get to try the final zaxxon firmware (as my LCD cable has died) where the moving of desktop icons is now easier but for anyone on the older firmwares, just drag the icon you want to move to a free space and press the L shoulder button as you release the icon. It will move to the new place. This has worked since HF4 and was far easier than the right nub method that was suggested. See here http://boards.openpa...ar/#entry160301 from the thread that was already quoted on page 1 of this thread.

In addition I believe you can rename pnds/icons in xfce using the 'OVR Editor & PND aware application launcher' from Caine (which is no longer on the repo it seems) which also allows for creating keyboard shortcuts and re-categorising the pnds from within xfce, without switching to minimenu, or manually making ovr files.

See discussion thread here http://boards.openpa...ation-launcher/

Which links to version3 of his app now called 'runapp.pnd' http://www.mediafire...mjuz1gvj6zbth5y

I cant test this at the moment for LCD reasons, or give step by step instructions at present but I think I'm right and that Caines pnd was pretty straighforward and easy to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back