ZX Vega +

Yeah saw this too, not bothered, no HDMI out and I doubt they will get a screen that allows nice aspect ratio correct scaling.

I never had spectrum systems so no sentimental value for me. An Amiga one with a standalone vampire system would be cool.

It's smashed through it's initial funding level by almost double. This is well and truly funded.

As with the Vega I expect many will appear on ebay.

Still see quite a few 1st batch limited edition "RARE" Vegas going up now but the prices have been dropping slowly.

As with the Vega I expect many will appear on ebay.

Still see quite a few 1st batch limited edition "RARE" Vegas going up now but the prices have been dropping slowly.
E-bay sellers fuck up the prices of stuff for everybody, greed is rampant there.

Agree

We'd love an arcade cab or a pinball but the prices even for a project quality item are ridiculous.

Interesting developments on the Vega+

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly confusing report; I'm not sure who Paul Andrews is; he doesn't appear to have anything to do with the manufacturers, SMS Electronics, so it sounds like he just resigned from RCL . Was he handling payments directly himself before then?

Oh dear, hopefully things will work out.

Still more interested in the ZX Spectrum Next but haven't heard anything new about that in a while.

Story seems to be down for a bit, although I can probably guess what it's going to say. Talk about how the two founding directors left after the campaign was funded and then one of them started legal proceeding against RCL. How the they then had to bring in Janko (CEO of Planet Computers running the Gemini PDA Indiegogo campaign) . How the backers have been asking for a refund and want Indiegogo to take action. etc etc

Looks like the original article caused someone to complain as the article was taken down.

Luckily I took a screen grab just in case and someone else also thought likewise and is now hosting a copy of the article: http://codetapper.com/zxvega/

Last edited:
The reason for the delay (this time) is that FUSE has had to be adopted (with the blessing of the FUSE team, I might add - I'm a personal friend of the principle author) into a system that can barely handle it.

The ARM inside the Vega and Vega+ runs at around 400MHz. Originally, there was a bare-metal emulation in the Vega which just about managed to get a decent amount of compatibility without having to sacrifice speed. Emulating a spectrum is not a trivial task when you try to get as close to 100% accuracy as current knowledge allows - you'll need around 350MHz to do it on an x86. That doesn't leave a lot of room for OS overheads, so the Vega sacrified the OS entirely.

Unfortunately, one of the chaps who has left (initially to fund their own device, "the64" which crashed and burned) took his emulation with him, so the RCL team - in something of a hurry - decided to take the open-source FUSE and use that. Unfortunately it needs a Linux OS to run on, and they don't have one. So modifying FUSE to run on the Vega is taking some time.

That article states that the FUSE team have distanced themselves from the Vega, which simply isn't true. When questioned, the FUSE team shrugged and said "It's open source, who gives a toss what they do with it?" (or words to that effect).

As well as the FUSE woes, the team are also fighting legal battles against the two directors who quit - and left things in quite a mess... I was one of the people who helped to recover RCL's we presence from archive.org because the files supplied by one of the departing directors was unusable, and there have been rumours that it was deliberately so.

The reason for the delay (this time) is that FUSE has had to be adopted (with the blessing of the FUSE team, I might add - I'm a personal friend of the principle author) into a system that can barely handle it.

The ARM inside the Vega and Vega+ runs at around 400MHz. Originally, there was a bare-metal emulation in the Vega which just about managed to get a decent amount of compatibility without having to sacrifice speed. Emulating a spectrum is not a trivial task when you try to get as close to 100% accuracy as current knowledge allows - you'll need around 350MHz to do it on an x86. That doesn't leave a lot of room for OS overheads, so the Vega sacrified the OS entirely.

Unfortunately, one of the chaps who has left (initially to fund their own device, "the64" which crashed and burned) took his emulation with him, so the RCL team - in something of a hurry - decided to take the open-source FUSE and use that. Unfortunately it needs a Linux OS to run on, and they don't have one. So modifying FUSE to run on the Vega is taking some time.

That article states that the FUSE team have distanced themselves from the Vega, which simply isn't true. When questioned, the FUSE team shrugged and said "It's open source, who gives a toss what they do with it?" (or words to that effect).

As well as the FUSE woes, the team are also fighting legal battles against the two directors who quit - and left things in quite a mess... I was one of the people who helped to recover RCL's we presence from archive.org because the files supplied by one of the departing directors was unusable, and there have been rumours that it was deliberately so.

Looking at the The64 Indiegogo page. It still seems to be going. What makes you think it crashed and burned?

Must admit that handheld version would have been sweet. Though They seemed to have promised a lot in the camapign, a handheld and the desktop. That was a red flag for me when I just looked at the their Indiegogo page
[doublepost=1489020946,1489017348][/doublepost]Hang on, WTF. We know that with the ZX Spectrum Vega + , that Paul Andrews and Chris Smith left Retro Computers Ltd during or just after the campaign ended. Then there was finger pointing and legal ramblings between them and the new directors of RCL

I just looked into The 64 Indiegogo camapaign. Both Paul and Chris were directors of the company behind that campaign (Retro Games Ltd) and left shortly after the campaign began if not close to the end of the campaign. It seems they have done it twice in a row - weird.

I don't know, maybe they came on board to just give some advise and then left, but I must admit, this seems very strange . PArticularly twice in a row. Same patern. Hmm

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09745704/filing-history

@ZXDunny It's a real pity you're not on the Vega + indiegogo campaign, the backers could do with an update like yours to help boost confidence in the project.

The one constant I find in all crowdfunded projects that causes unrest is a lack of communication, even if it's a quick post that says hey we're still alive and haven't run off with your cash it would help.

@vcoleiro1 PA & CS

This does seem weird. Have you seen how many companies each has been involved in?

Erotic Chatbots Ltd ???

The64 looks a bit weird to me. The news on 14th Feb says they're planning a third device (THE64 MINI)... but so far, not really seen anything of the other two.

Back