100 Hand Painted Special Edition Pandoras

Craig, I say go for it! This is a great idea that will hopefully get you some much-needed money.

I don't think anybody has any reason to complain, since nobody's place in the queue is being changed. Maybe some people don't read very well.

Oh GP32X.

Craig, please add a two page disclaimer to everything you say. (I'm only half joking. Whether it's justified or not, something like this with no details attached is going to set some people off. Try to be one with the zeitgeist.)

People, chill. Give OPT the benefit of the doubt until they can answer your questions. (Craig & ED have responded now so take this as advice for future threads - please). Know that the first thing they want to do is ship, to you.

This should have been an upbeat thread, as it was back on page one before the panic set in.

Asmo said:
TylerAW said:
Na-Noo said:
TylerAW said:
VRAndy said:
By the time they ship, it may be too late to get in on the first batch. In fact, it may be too late now. I would check by email before I used the Google checkout, if I were you.
Google Checkout links expire after 60 days it's only been 12 :)
He meant that OPT may not have any left in the first batch and that's what you should check. Not length of google checkout.
But the google order was from the first batch.
The Google order is only the online payment facility - until money has actually been paid to the seller (Open Pandora) they have no obligation to 'reserve' a unit for you for up to 60 days on the offchance you might complete the transaction.
It's still possible there will be a unit available before the 60 days expires, you just can't expect it because you have a google checkout link that hasn't expired yet.

What TylerAW is saying is that OPT keep the Google checkout links available for a certain period. If someone lands a spot, gets sent the link and doesn't pay within 60 days, the link is cancelled and the next person in the queue is offered one (this is based on a Craig post from a couple of months ago). Tyler is hanging on to his for as long as he can (I advised him to do this). Tyler, don't forget to email them and tell them what you're up to, so they don't think you're a non-payer. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
so some of us with the locked 600mhz unit will not be able to play n64 or anthing that requires overclocking, just checking because this has really got me worried,or have i got mixed up in the mess
cheers

Gruso said:
Oh GP32X.

Craig, please add a two page disclaimer to everything you say. (I'm only half joking. Whether it's justified or not, something like this with no details attached is going to set some people off. Try to be one with the zeitgeist.)

People, chill. Give OPT the benefit of the doubt until they can answer your questions. (Craig & ED have responded now so take this as advice for future threads - please). Know that the first thing they want to do is ship, to you.

This should have been an upbeat thread, as it was back on page one before the panic set in.

Im' sorry to say (I'm having a great deal of respect of for the OP team, inlcuding Craig) but this is again a result of rather bad communication to the boards.
And no, drunk or not , I don't care what state Craig is in, things like this should not be left loose without some *decent* description of what will happen and how to it will be done.
Transparency is OP's biggest asset , but there is a difference between being transparent and making statements like this without thinking about it first, and it's not the first time, so please do learn from the past.

i think the upgrade option would be a great idea. i would give up my place in line for a hand-painted pandora. some sonic blue would be nice for me

lol love this... people seriously think that a custom paint job will be done just like that! poof! done... it will take months (two months gah) to do any paint work. artists dont just shit out designs they need to research and know what will sell...
thats after the parts get here!
thats after the parts are put together! and overclocked/ vamped up whatever (push the GUI slider to the max :p)!
most likely this will be done AFTER the main batch will be done where theres a free minute

as said in other posts overclocking it is a task you take up in your own risk! but this shouldn't be made a topic on overclocking more about the designs!
support the pandora project by pumping more money into the cash fund that will help with future investments!
remember this site and associated sites don't come free!

lamortdream said:
so some of us with the locked 600mhz unit will not be able to play n64 or anthing that requires overclocking, just checking because this has really got me worried,or have i got mixed up in the mess
cheers
Some people who are very fortunate to get Pandoras that can overclock will be able to use more demanding applications. The rest of the people will run at normal speeds which may prohibit the use of such applications. You wouldn't throw a temper tantrum if your friend accidentally got an extra free cookie in his lunch but you didn't, would you?
There's also a very good chance that "some people" means "all people", and every Pandora can be overclocked to 800.

Polossatik said:
Im' sorry to say (I'm having a great deal of respect of for the OP team, inlcuding Craig) but this is again a result of rather bad communication to the boards.
And no, drunk or not , I don't care what state Craig is in, things like this should not be left loose without some *decent* description of what will happen and how to it will be done.
Transparency is OP's biggest asset , but there is a difference between being transparent and making statements like this without thinking about it first, and it's not the first time, so please do learn from the past.
I agree, that's what I was saying to Craig basically. :) I think the limited 100 are a great idea, but throwing it out there on Twitter in the current climate was only going to end one way. Hopefully once the first batch has shipped, people will be able to handle the odd bit of teaser info from Twitter without setting fire to things.

Oh and anyone concerned about the clocking issue, read WizardStan's posts, I won't bother repeating him. :p It's a non issue, seriously. Let the 100 be special, it'll make no difference to your Pandora. :)

I think 100 unique pandora's is a good idea and will be collectors items. I am however concerned how the over clockable boards will be chosen. If it it's Oh look here's a happy pandora... keep it back .. oh look here's another. If the factory is testing boards and just keeping 100 back that work a treat at 800mhz and send them at the end.. that's cool with me and seems fairer, well to me anyways.

Remember those at the front of the queue believe in the pandora and have supported you from the very begining of pre ordering. My pre-order was based on great experiences with your sales staff in the gp2x days. The pandora expereince will influence future purchases and recomendations so please keep a cool head and don't attack those that are actually on side.

It's a shame these things explode but you would think that lessons would have been learnt from past events already. Please count to 100 before you post something and drink a strong coffee and maybe a raw egg or two.

As for cookies... depends.. if they are white chocolate chip I won't be fussed but I might be more dissapointed if they are chocolate orange. Seriously I can't see how being able to play PS1 / N64 games at better speeds (becoming playable) can be compared to a cookie.

If it helps, it was said a little while back that they hadn't yet come across one that wouldn't clock to 800mhz. ;) This was based on a pretty small sample size, not 4,000, so it's still not guaranteed that every Pandora will do it. But I'm going to say something really dangerous here and say eh, they probably will.

What will make the limited ones "special" is that their overclock speed will be verified and endorsed by OPT.

Tbh I'll be pretty pissed if these 100 are sold before all the pre-orders ship. It is a good idea BUT I think it should be done sometime down the line. I mean come on guys, we've waited years for you guys to finally put this thing together and it'll just feels like a BIG slap in the face. Like I say it's a cool idea but atleast get the first batch out of the way first. I think it's really unfair in my opinion otherwise. It may even be a deal breaker for some people. You may get some cash short term from selling them but I think you'd probably lose that amount or more in people that are just too pissed off about it. Just my opinion though :)

I pity you, Craig.
You say you'd like to offer special painted units, like people have asked for numerous times, and you get called "fucked up" and "sick" for it.

I think special edition units are a great idea. I don't want one, I'm happy with the standard unit; but I know some people are willing to pay a considerable premium for a rarity. Good luck with it.

I really can't believe some of the crazy ideas that crop up on this board.

• The team have said: as soon as the cases are picked up, MWeston goes to the UK to start fixing the early boards. As soon as the cases arrive, they start assembling units, and will probably ship the first finished units within a day. On what possible rational grounds do you think Craig would now suddenly decide to halt the assembly process while he gets 100 units specially designed, painted up, tested and sold off? Even if he does this in parallel with preorder assembly, I very much doubt he'll even get the custom designs finished, let alone the cases painted, before the majority of units have gone out.
  • We have all preordered the standard Pandora, as described in the specifications. We are all entitled to receive that. We are not automatically entitled to anything else!
    Some random amount of boards may be capable of additional overclocking. You should not have ordered one with the expectation you would receive one. The team are more than within their rights to test and set aside a subset of boards rated to higher speed, and charge a premium for them. You will still get exactly the item you paid for.
  • Even if those 100 (and only those 100) special units are capable of running software a little bit faster than the production units, why will anyone (other than those owners for themselves) write any software only usable on 2.5% of an already tiny niche market? If they were instead randomly distributed among the production run, the situation would be the same -- if anything, it would be worse.
  • Again, you ordered a Pandora. You didn't order a Pandora, with a upgrade option to Super Pandora by paying the difference. If you bought Avatar on DVD, you don't automatically get the option of trading up to the Ultimate Edition for the difference in price. I think the team will probably offer to let you pay the extra and go to the end of the queue to get a Special Edition, but they're not obligated to do even that. You're certainly not entitled to insist they do so, and still keep your place in line.

And finally, how about we treat these guys with a modicum of respect?

If Craig says something with room for interpretation (on Twitter. Twitter, for crissakes), how about you just ask him "could you please clarify that some more?" and not jump straight to "OMG I can't believe this shit!".

With the amount of unpleasantness they all have to deal with on these forums, it wouldn't surprise me if they said "Here's your goddamn finished Pandora, you ungrateful bastards, enjoy. I quit."
And who could blame them?

Gruso said:
Asmo said:
TylerAW said:
Na-Noo said:
TylerAW said:
VRAndy said:
By the time they ship, it may be too late to get in on the first batch. In fact, it may be too late now. I would check by email before I used the Google checkout, if I were you.
Google Checkout links expire after 60 days it's only been 12 :)
He meant that OPT may not have any left in the first batch and that's what you should check. Not length of google checkout.
But the google order was from the first batch.
The Google order is only the online payment facility - until money has actually been paid to the seller (Open Pandora) they have no obligation to 'reserve' a unit for you for up to 60 days on the offchance you might complete the transaction.
It's still possible there will be a unit available before the 60 days expires, you just can't expect it because you have a google checkout link that hasn't expired yet.

What TylerAW is saying is that OPT keep the Google checkout links available for a certain period. If someone lands a spot, gets sent the link and doesn't pay within 60 days, the link is cancelled and the next person in the queue is offered one (this is based on a Craig post from a couple of months ago). Tyler is hanging on to his for as long as he can (I advised him to do this). Tyler, don't forget to email them and tell them what you're up to, so they don't think you're a non-payer. :)
I did but they never emailed back :(, should I email the person that sent the Google Checkout link or am I supposed to email someone else?

Heh, same thing he did with the GP2Xs, tested and seperated the ones that clocked higher and sold them at a premium. I bought mine from playasia, paid less and got one that clocked high.

Up to his old tricks again.

As for the painted art pandoras, it reminds me of the limited edition "NEW ART" amiga 500s:

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/bundles/a500special.html

Kagato said:
I pity you, Craig.
You say you'd like to offer special painted units, like people have asked for numerous times, and you get called "fucked up" and "sick" for it.
I quite agree with this. Craig, in 140 characters, says "I've got a great idea that everyone is going to love, details to follow eventually", everyone makes assumptions based on no further information, get angry over those assumptions (many of which turn out to be incorrect, non-issues, or even impossible), EvilDragon comes along and supplies just a little more information, everyone calms down, and Craig has an aneurysm.

I suggested in another thread that OP could refrain from painting some of the 10,000 case sets in order to sell them to modders.
I hope Craigx and ED will consider doing this.

My suggested price for the unpainted extra case set would be $80.
I think that price point would appeal to modders and those interested in helping out the financial situation of OP.

Also, its Friday in China, maybe they should have the case factory just send the unpainted cases and get it over with.
I'll wager there will be no packages to be picked up with 1000 painted cases today.

Special editions, with art by local artists with the kicker of a guaranteed overclock to 800Mhz with warranty sounds great to me.

Every Pandora, especially first batch is going to be special. I think this is a very good idea.

Back