100 Hand Painted Special Edition Pandoras

b1llygo4t said:
the sticker on the battery cover is just plain lame. no special case labels (serial/model #, production #, etc.) should be placed on any part that can lost and replaced.
They're not on the cover, they're in the compartment, which is part of the actual entire Pandora case. Lose that, and you'll have more to worry about than a lost "special case label".

As for the rest of the thread, the OpenPandora Team can be accused of many things (not least being naive, too trusting, too enthusiastic with their communication sometimes such that they post before they think perhaps), but I'm racking my brain to think of a situation since this saga began where they have done anything other than try to put the (long-term?) satisfaction of their loyal customers first. Every time some open-to-interpretation tidbit of communication comes up, a percentage of people always seem to assume the absolute worst and react accordingly. More sensible people "want assurances", and that's on the face of it quite reasonable, but why are such assurances so needed? Maybe it's just my memory failing me (I'm sure I'll find out soon enough), but after everything that's happened and everything that's been said and clarified and resaid and argued and done, why are we assuming that the OPT would suddenly decide to go out of their way to shaft the very customers they've spent the last God-knows-how-long trying to placate? I... I just don't understand the angst.

If this announcement (or whatever it is - sounds a bit more like a "wouldn't it be cool if...?" sorta thing to me that's grown some legs) causes anyone pain to hear it, just pretend it never happened, and I'm happy to promise you it won't make a single bit of difference to the delivery or performance of your Pandora when it gets to you. Seriously.

Now let's get back to anxiously awaiting some word the accursed Chinese Factory Of Death has finally shipped those cases. Now THAT will be a sweet milestone.

Last edited by a moderator:
b1llygo4t said:
2) the sticker on the battery cover is just plain lame. no special case labels (serial/model #, production #, etc.) should be placed on any part that can lost and replaced.
The sticker isn't ON the battery lid, it's INSIDE the battery lid; under the battery. Take the battery out of your cellphone, there's a good chance you'll find a very similar sticker there. (Legal text, model info etc)

i feel something special was taken away from all of us
The "First Batch" mark was something mentioned in passing, forum members jumped on, and was eventually worked into the silkscreen design. It wasn't promised from the outset. More "you guys seem to like this idea; we'll see if we can work it in". Might have been a nice bonus, but that's all.

and something even more special is being offered to people willing to pay the price.
Yes, it is. Why is this a problem for you?
If you want the new shiny, it's pretty likely they'll let you pay the extra and go to the end of the queue.
If you don't want it, why are you so upset that someone else might get it?
Pandora is a product, for sale. They're not playing favourites with Christmas presents.

they could cheaply hand screen the first batch logo onto the lid during assembly.
They tried that with the first-draft silkscreen, remember?
And it did look cheap. That's why we didn't get it.

Oh, sorry -- hand-screen? As in, do it themselves during assembly?
No. A thousand times no. Printing on plastic (usually not actually "silk-screening" BTW) is not easy, and takes a lot of practice, even when working with calibrated machinery. How much time and how many cases would you like them to waste while they learn this art?

3) i havnt seen any indication that the boards will NOT be harvested from the standard stockpile, that hurts any chance for pre-orders to get an 800 by 1/40. (i have faith they will all be 800+)
Your first sentence is contradicted by your second, but whatever.
I'll repeat my earlier statement: you are not entitled to an 800MHz board. You paid for a 600MHz board. You might, by pure luck, get one that is stable at 800MHz, but it's down to chance.
They are well within their rights to set aside the most stable boards at 800MHz for the Special Edition units, even if that meant none of the preorder units could manage it.

if i get a crappy board i will promptly ebay it
Crappy? Please. Batch two will probably be exactly the same: some unknown subset will be capable of more overclocking. 800MHz is a bonus, not a design feature.

Bullcrap, have the people who want to pay extra for an 800mHz pandora been waiting one and a half years with their money up front? Lets say I am number 700 in the pre-order list and only 650 get shipped so 50 are put aside as 800mHz models. So I have to wait until the next god knows when batch to get mine while some smug arsehole who is willing to pay a little more gets in front of me and gets my pandora?

THIS STINKS!

edit: whatever...

I couldnt give a rats anymore about two weeks away from cancelling anyways. This is beyond a joke now...

But if they had never mentioned this Special Edition idea, you would still only have some random chance of getting an 800-capable board.

Either most of them will be capable of 800MHz, in which case you'll probably still get one,
or most of them won't be capable of 800MHz, in which case you probably wouldn't have got one anyway.

Yes, the odds are slightly diminished. And if there was only a 1 in 40 chance of getting one, it will now be zero. But then, you only had a 1 in 40 chance in the first place!

Unless I missed something where the OP team promised all units would be 800-capable, or some other guarantee that you could influence whether you'd get one or not, I just don't understand this outrage.

Its not that Kagato. What gets me is they will seperate the 800mHz clockable units from the first batch and hold onto them. So people who have waited the duration will have to wait even longer as there are limited numbers of actual normal pandoras.

[total pandoras] - [800mhz pandoras] = [first batch]

After all the stuff that got taken away and changed due to delays we are now going to be delayed even longer so OP can capitalize on these freak 800mHz versions.

Reposting this again in case anyone missed it.

EvilDragon said:
Just wanted to confirm that the special edition Pandoras will be shipped last.

Painting will happen once we have the rest of the cases while we are assembling (since it's not us who ara painting the cases).

NO one gets further in the Queue.I remember that someone offered me 300 EUR extra money a while ago to go up in the queue - and I disagreed.

If they were cherry picking them right away, and the first 1,000 became the first 900, then yeah I'd be pissed too. But I don't think it's going to happen that way. Realistically they could probably cherry pick the last batch of boards that comes from Texas, so no one has to wait for more boards to arrive because the "chosen ones" have been put aside.

Gruso said:
Reposting this again in case anyone missed it.

EvilDragon said:
Just wanted to confirm that the special edition Pandoras will be shipped last.

Painting will happen once we have the rest of the cases while we are assembling (since it's not us who ara painting the cases).

NO one gets further in the Queue.I remember that someone offered me 300 EUR extra money a while ago to go up in the queue - and I disagreed.

If they were cherry picking them right away, and the first 1,000 became the first 900, then yeah I'd be pissed too. But I don't think it's going to happen that way. Realistically they could probably cherry pick the last batch of boards that comes from Texas, so no one has to wait for more boards to arrive because the "chosen ones" have been put aside.

if that's the case, then special pandora is a great idea, what I don't want is the chance to get a "refused for special edition" board that completly suck... it would not be correct toward us to diminish our chance to get a good overclockable board.

Well I guess we will have to wait for a straight answer then.

Because I cant see any reason they wouldnt sort them right from the start in order to get the highest numbers of 800mHz versions.

I repeat the issue I have isnt with an 800mHz version existing and costing more. The issue I have is with more delays upon delays because of 800mHz versions being put aside to sell later on.

Iorgy77 said:
Its not that Kagato. What gets me is they will seperate the 800mHz clockable units from the first batch and hold onto them. So people who have waited the duration will have to wait even longer as there are limited numbers of actual normal pandoras.
[total pandoras] - [800mhz pandoras] = [first batch]

[total pandoras] - [100 800mhz pandoras] = [first batch],
not
[total pandoras] - [every 800mhz pandora] = [first batch].

That total is 4000 though, not the initial 1000. And Craig has clearly stated they have "100 spare", not allocated to orders; that presumably also includes the unpaid waiting list people as well. So they aren't taking boards away from already waiting customers.

I doubt they would yank any boards from the initial 1000. Once they get into the full swing production line (subsequent deliveries from Texas), they'll have more opportunity to do stuff. If the process goes smoothly enough, they might be able to test more boards than they can ship in a day; and if that's the case, those 100 boards can percolate into the do-later box without affecting preorder delivery in the slightest.

I wish I had time to read through this, but it seems like most people would be almost as interested in the special ed pandora's if they were only painted (instead of cherry picking the boards).

I know I shouldn't feel so concerned about the potential for the earlier boards to have lower chances of having a higher overclocking rate, but after dumping the money so quickly on blind faith (twice) it's really hard to want to see even that minor chance of a better board lowered as it feels like something is taken away. Thanks OPT (Craig especially) for letting out the idea, and for reading through these forums and responding so diligently.

Though it seems like simply noting that these would just be specially painted (and most of the other additions noted, such as a nice card with OPT's signatures or such) would probably be enough to sell the systems well enough. Though without knowing how much Craig is aiming for we can't know what sort of value he is placing on putting in the extra effort to get 100 boards overclocked to at least 800MHz.

^ That's a very good point. Painted and numbered units are going to be appealing enough. 800mhz units only throw the spotlight onto an issue that was already controversial. Maybe OPT should step back from the whole overclocking thing like they did before, talk only in TI factory ratings (600mhz) and leave the nutty N900-style overclocking to the community.

Korlithiel said:
I wish I had time to read through this, but it seems like most people would be almost as interested in the special ed pandora's if they were only painted (instead of cherry picking the boards).
Cartman_Special_Olympics_by_mrmoparman.jpg

Korlithiel said:
I know I shouldn't feel so concerned about the potential for the earlier boards to have lower chances of having a higher overclocking rate, but after dumping the money so quickly on blind faith (twice) it's really hard to want to see even that minor chance of a better board lowered as it feels like something is taken away. Thanks OPT (Craig especially) for letting out the idea, and for reading through these forums and responding so diligently.

Though it seems like simply noting that these would just be specially painted (and most of the other additions noted, such as a nice card with OPT's signatures or such) would probably be enough to sell the systems well enough. Though without knowing how much Craig is aiming for we can't know what sort of value he is placing on putting in the extra effort to get 100 boards overclocked to at least 800MHz.

I'll be pissed if Craig is going to cherry-pick the best boards, I don't think he needs to either as people will pay a lot of money anyway if the paint-job is done well and the design is cool.

Attachments

• Cartman_Special_Olympics_by_mrmoparman.jpg
    Cartman_Special_Olympics_by_mrmoparman.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 77
Suddenly our first edition pandoras are less exclusive... I'm excited to see the designs though.

I guess it's a nice thing to do, and helps recoup some costs, but there's no way in hell I'd ever be able to afford one of these, so I will have to be jealous of the bastards that manage to get one

Evil Star said:
I'll be pissed if Craig is going to cherry-pick the best boards, I don't think he needs to either as people will pay a lot of money anyway if the paint-job is done well and the design is cool.

same, specially painted case with a regular board would be attractive enough for me at least... and that would be a great idea...

When i posted yesterday i was really angry at the possibility of some newer preorderers getting an even better Pandora than the one i am getting and i am still hanging on to my original preorder ,this is where all my anger was focused ,to add to that there are a few other factors that could/would cause problems with the initial 1000 batch ,not the entire 4000 ,remember 1000 will be done first and OPT say they want to recoupe some lost cash quick to aid the guys that are going to be coming to help with the first 1000 pandora units built so i thought the 100 cherry picks would be from that 1000 making only 900 to the puplic who have waited ,you can't blame me for thinking this as Craig didn't give any real details of where and when he will do the special Pandoras but from his twitter it DID point to asap and possibly the first 1000 simply due to the lack of info.

The other factors involved that could cause problems are that this detracts from all of the original preorderers who did not cancel and have waited the longest ,also the gray area where some folks who do not even have a preorder yet may have the chance to get a very special one now and skip the que ,this is why is saw it so unfair and i feel OPT have an obligation to all the preoderers now more than ever to stay on track and get the entire 4000 out before thinking of more money made ,it's like closing the gate before the cows have come home.

Again i have read through and i think my posts were quite out of order ,i didn't need to sware and i could have been clearer in my wording ,i was quite angry at the time and just ddin't get it across at all in the correct manor but all my worries still stand ,OPT have not still gave a direct answer to anyone and so this all continues but i just want to make things clear to everyone including OPT ,if i have caused offence or have came across as a selfish person then i am sorry as i don't mean to ,i do agree it IS a great idea to have special custom rare Pandora units that will be really cool in the future ,it's really just the way it's done i have a problem with and OPT have every right to make money to recoupe from this ,i really don't blame them but i think priorities should be focused else where just now and get the 4000 out first then do the special pandora units.

I really messed up with my old posts in regards to all this ,i will have came across as an idiot ,i am sorry to OPT and everyone else if i have caused agruments and hatred ,i will in future think long before i post.

ps ,i would like to know why Exophase thinks it is ok not to take me seriously? :lol: i don't blame you mate after reading that crap i wrote yesterday !

Paddy

Gruso said:
^ That's a very good point. Painted and numbered units are going to be appealing enough. 800mhz units only throw the spotlight onto an issue that was already controversial. Maybe OPT should step back from the whole overclocking thing like they did before, talk only in TI factory ratings (600mhz) and leave the nutty N900-style overclocking to the community.

Gruso hits the nail on the head!

Back