100 Hand Painted Special Edition Pandoras

Craig, Brilliant idea - I'd be happy to pay $150 extra for the special edition.

I don't understand why everyone's so upset. I don't remember ever seeing anywhere it was advertised that you will get an overclockable pandora, otherwise overclocking it would be covered by a warranty. You bought a pandora with a 600mhz cpu, anything beyond that is luck. Fortunately it seems that most pandoras are capable.

The special painted pandoras don't have to be right away. We'd probably even get great design ideas from the community if given time. It COULD just be special edition preorders taken now for when batch 2 starts rolling, that way everyone is happy since the people that do want it shouldn't mind waiting. Think about it, someone elses money is indirectly going towards the assembly of your pandora and the people who are assembling it. There's no need to test clock speed, people will spend the money because it is unique and not because they are guaranteed to do something that most normal priced pandoras will be able to do anyway.

Also, people, calm down. You don't need to be belligerent to get your point across. This should be a place to discuss your thoughts, ideas and questions if you have any. We can all do without the hate.

Mofokubik said:
I don't understand why everyone's so upset. I don't remember ever seeing anywhere it was advertised that you will get an overclockable pandora, otherwise overclocking it would be covered by a warranty. You bought a pandora with a 600mhz cpu, anything beyond that is luck. Fortunately it seems that most pandoras are capable.

The special painted pandoras don't have to be right away. We'd probably even get great design ideas from the community if given time. It COULD just be special edition preorders taken now for when batch 2 starts rolling, that way everyone is happy since the people that do want it shouldn't mind waiting. Think about it, someone elses money is indirectly going towards the assembly of your pandora and the people who are assembling it. There's no need to test clock speed, people will spend the money because it is unique and not because they are guaranteed to do something that most normal priced pandoras will be able to do anyway.

Also, people, calm down. You don't need to be belligerent to get your point across. This should be a place to discuss your thoughts, ideas and questions if you have any. We can all do without the hate.

The reason why I am 'upset'(upset is a little strong disappointed is closer) is because whilst anything OVER 600mhz is of course a bonus and more than I paid for, However what I did pay for is to purchase one of the first batch Pandoras Hence why I paid up 2 years ago and have left my funds with them ever since.
I know potentially will see others paying extra to get one of the first batch pandoras that is guaranteed! to be better or at least as good as mine. AND the chances of mine being one of the 'better' pandoras is also reduced.

I just think its a little poorly timed and ill thought out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read a good chunk of this thread, and I have to say, wow, folks are getting extremely sensitive about something being proposed that is cool.

I would, however, like to make a bit of a counterpoint to this whole argument that it is unfair folks are jumping to queue vs. folks that have been in the queue 18+ months. Using that same logic, folks that ordered last month (and I'm pretty sure it has happened) should not have been allowed to order since they have not had the honour of ordering at the very beginning. Those that ordered at the very beginning do deserve thanks as they helped launch this project, but folks that purchase later in the game are just as important in making Pandora a successful business venture.

If the first production is not sold out then the company should most definitely do something to sell out the run. Actually the fact they are not sold out makes me very nervous for the long term viability of this product from a demand perspective. It is good business sense to try and find some promotion that drums up interest to sell out the first run. I think painting them is a great idea if that helps push things to sold-out.

zounder1 said:
If the first production is not sold out then the company should most definitely do something to sell out the run. Actually the fact they are not sold out makes me very nervous for the long term viability of this product from a demand perspective. It is good business sense to try and find some promotion that drums up interest to sell out the first run. I think painting them is a great idea if that helps push things to sold-out.
I think they're avoiding publicising too much until they are actually able to meet demand.
There have already been a lot of people who found out about the Pandora, ordered, waited, and cancelled.
More people doing that doesn't benefit OP at all, and at worst is a lost future sale.

After they start shipping, there will be much more demand rolling in, and hopefully they'll be able to meet it within a much shorter timeframe.

It's kinda scary how some people react to such a cool idea. If the OpenPandora team wants a special edition of the Pandora, let them do one. Sure, there'd be a higher chance for some of us to get a better clockable device but there's also a chance that those 100 devices go to people who will never overclock their gadget. The OPT spent so much time and money on their project that I think it's totally legitimate to get a bit of money back out of the first batch.

Question to the naysayers: What would you do if the OPT decides to make a competition with 10+/- Pandoras as prize?

Kagami said:
It's kinda scary how some people react to such a cool idea. If the OpenPandora team wants a special edition of the Pandora, let them do one. Sure, there'd be a higher chance for some of us to get a better clockable device but there's also a chance that those 100 devices go to people who will never overclock their gadget. The OPT spent so much time and money on their project that I think it's totally legitimate to get a bit of money back out of the first batch.

Question to the naysayers: What would you do if the OPT decides to make a competition with 10+/- Pandoras as prize?

No problem with them selling 100 pandoras with special paint, or giving any amount away in a compo!

your completely missing the point!

IF those ones being given away in a competition or painted are taken from the first batch AND are cherry picked to be the ones that run above 600 thus meaning my chances of getting one are reduced THEN im not happy.

do you see?

We have seen this time and again. We've seen it with the silkscreening, with the black painting, with the keyboard layout, with...

OK, here goes. On the whole, people who have ordered a Pandora do not hate the idea of other/more Pandora owners. They don't mind the idea (mostly - with a very few exception) that other people will, later, get more than they did, earlier. But where forum-going Pandora re-pre-orderers tend to draw the line, and get agitated, is if it looks like they will have something - ANYTHING, however small, taken away from them which they believed they would get.

It doesn't much matter what the thing is. The mathematical chance of receiving a faster-than-average Pandora? The ability to produce THIS character or THAT character quickly/easily? A Pandora in the hand rather than in the bush? A mains power supply? Some clear indication/recognition/sign on their device that THEY helped the project even happen... that they were IMPORTANT, that they weren't Johnny-come-lately "customers" who purchased after the project no longer needed such support? That they KNEW The Beatles personally, before they were famous? These and others are things that people have taken for granted and then been shocked when, AFTER taking the money, OpenPandora have said "You know - maybe you don't need that. We're thinking of not giving you that, or at least not as much of it". That gets people saying "But I WANTED that and I PAID for it - years ago!".

That is all. For the most part, they'll encourage more sales, more customers, a larger community, more software, more more. More is good. They just don't want to lose anything they've already paid for - even if it is "out of spec" and has only been mentioned on the forum, not the official web site. The need for melodrama is largely absent.

^ Can't disagree. Somehow you think that something you never had has been taken away before you got it. Still OPT - go for it.

Me! I want a Pandora. As it comes. There are only 100 "special" ones and that's not for me. I'd love an original ASMO but I could not consciously take any action that adds any element of further delay.

If I had the money I'd buy a bright Orange one. my favorite color has the advantage of making people think "that is the worst color choice ever" and they don't steal it!

Or I could buy a black one and blaspheme upon it with magic marker.

Kagami said:
It's kinda scary how some people react to such a cool idea.
The people here are just ordinary people like any other group of people.

If we react poorly to news from OP then it should give you an idea of how irritated people are at being strung a long and how news from OpenPandora usually goes.

I'm serious when I say that we've been trained to interpret any change of plans as a delay.

hi,

I really appreciate what the pandora team already achieved.

so I would support the OPT financially and buy special editions, strange editions, crazy editions:

ie. a military tin case edition, a green wooden case edition, a steampunk edition, a strass glitter edition, a rubber scuba diving edition, a 2012-survival edition ...

but first, PLEASE, get the first batch done.

greetings

Heck, why not a novelty "Iraq War Pandora", in the same fashion as...

242dj04.jpg

Attachments

• 242dj04.jpg
    242dj04.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 85
I've been a preorder since this project was first announced, and I have no problem with these limited edition Pandoras. I don't care if they even offer them at a higher "guaranteed" clock speed. ARM chips are very forgiving for overclocking, I'm sure a vast majority of the chips will hit 800 mhz or close. There's plenty of limited edition things everywhere else in the world, and they don't take anything away from regular editions. Shoot, they have limited edition Jones Soda in delicious gravy and turkey flavor. Do people clamor for Jones Soda to not put out this soda because it somehow detracts from regular cola?

cbox said:
I've been a preorder since this project was first announced, and I have no problem with these limited edition Pandoras. I don't care if they even offer them at a higher "guaranteed" clock speed. ARM chips are very forgiving for overclocking, I'm sure a vast majority of the chips will hit 800 mhz or close. There's plenty of limited edition things everywhere else in the world, and they don't take anything away from regular editions. Shoot, they have limited edition Jones Soda in delicious gravy and turkey flavor. Do people clamor for Jones Soda to not put out this soda because it somehow detracts from regular cola?

does the existence of the gravy and turkey flavour mean there is any increased chance that you regular soda will taste slightly worse?

Your analogy was stupid so I fixed it.

if any special edition of anything means that YOUR standard edition may be of lower quality and value AND if that possibility is announced after the company have had your money for 2 years then yes I can see why some [[[people are clamouring for Pandora to sort their initial loyal customers out first.

Back