15th Preorder Confirmed?

Well his word is the key. He doesn't actually say the words that there will be a pre-pre-order. He says that some dates "look right", and that some things need to be sure before they confirm an exact date.

When Craig wants to be clear, he's clear. This ain't it. I'll totally jump on a preorder if it happens, but I'm not going to be boggled if it doesn't, because I don't think we've been promised it yet.

AireTamStorm said:
I don't want to sound like the negative nancy here
You negative nancy.
AireTamStorm said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
There's absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be a preorder this month, IMO. A vast majority of people who want a Pandora are willing to throw down cash right now to secure one, myself included. It'd do wonders to ease my soul that I had one set aside. Just because there is a preorder doesn't mean that people such as yourself have to participate, you can wait until the actual release to purchase. Where's the negative? Besides, a preorder 2 months before a product release is 100% normal, how is that not "reasonably close"?

I'd have done the same in January for a Pandora. Paid in full. 6 months ago. I'd have bought a PS3 preorder a year before it was released in order to "secure" my unit. Lets say the Pandora team let you preorder the day the handheld was announced. I'd imagine there would be quite the buildup of unhappy people by now. You can say that the Pandora isn't that far off, but the question is, where does one draw the line? I don't think it is appropriate to take preorders until the units are actually rolling off the assembly lines, and hopefully fully tested.Negative or not, I agree. They cannot afford to make a promise take money and then have an unexpected delay which means they're holding onto peoples' hard earned. As Craig has said, they have to get the mass production sorted:
craigix said:
Sometime between the 15th and the 30th looks right.

We just need to establish some final mass production details before we can say 'yes, it's going to be exactly xx date'.
Which is another way of saying the mass production isn't fully sorted, neither is the silicon (unless he's referring to the silicon). He has also said he wants us to have plenty of videos etc before the pre-orders, which I read as meaning he wants people to see it and be sure they really want it because it won't suit everybody and I believe that they really do not want a lot of complaints from people who had too high expectations for it. all that and there is just over two weeks to the 15th, so I suspect "Sometime between the 15th and the 30th" means "nearer 28th". But even two days would be a good head start. I now fall into the category where I still want a Pandora from day one but would like to see the videos of the non-emulation stuff first so that I can reserve the option to bail out at the last minute if there is something I really don't like - not that I think that's at all likely especially with the 'get it right' attitude, I just want the choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I already have money on the side for preorder, I can only hope I get one before the 3000 run out...

TaG said:
He has also said he wants us to have plenty of videos etc before the pre-orders, which I read as meaning he wants people to see it and be sure they really want it because it won't suit everybody and I believe that they really do not want a lot of complaints from people who had too high expectations for it.
Yeah, to date nobody has seen a fully assembled Pandora in a video, working 100% independently from another terminal. This is an absolute minimum requirement in my opinion in order to successfully show people what the device will be capable of and how it will behave.

TaG said:
All that and there is just over two weeks to the 15th, so I suspect "Sometime between the 15th and the 30th" means "nearer 28th". But even two days would be a good head start.

Considering the above, it is hard to imagine them being in September at all, unless the NDAs have successfully kept the Pandora team from showing us a more complete, GUI equipped firmware.

TaG said:
I now fall into the category where I still want a Pandora from day one but would like to see the videos of the non-emulation stuff first so that I can reserve the option to bail out at the last minute if there is something I really don't like - not that I think that's at all likely especially with the 'get it right' attitude, I just want the choice.
I would also like to see more regarding that, what will be included in the firmware, how updates will work, amongst countless other things. Up to now at least, the more I see it, the more I want it. I'm sure others feel the same.

Well, my personal opinion is: why not some mystery? Why not be surprised and enjoy the device when it shows up at your doorstep?

If people want videos, they'll get videos, but doesn't that take all the fun out of a product launch? GPH has shown nothing and even now that the press release has happened, there is still nothing. Everyone seems to think that is fine and I think it is kinda neat too because when you get yours, it will all be new to you.

This is just my opinion. The masses will get what the masses want.

I would have to agree that videos of the final unit would be required for me to purchase the pandora. These forums accumulated a lot of users since the announcement of pandora and I dont think it has anything to do with GP(H)s products. There has to be trust in the developers and the shippers for people to spend so much money. The only experience that we have is what we can read and see on the forums and thats how to build the trust.

I think its fine that tidbits may be left out to as a teaser. I'm sure every one had fun with the bluetooth info on the .ca site and the hidden program database :)

CronoTriggerfan said:
aliking, I created this thread for the sole reason of confirmation, and if Craig sticks to his word, then we've got one, albeit a two week span.

And Mr Loon, I'd totally agree that if Pandora slipped into 2009, I'd withdraw my support for it and pick up an iControlpad or a Wiz.
The iControlpad is being handled by the same Pandora team which maybe contributing to Pandora's delays. Even the big boys don't attempt to release two big commerical products so close together. The mods would be working 24/7 cleaning up the profanity if preorders were taken and Pandora was delayed into next year. For fun can we set up a pool predicting a date when craigix completely loses it from balancing Pandora, iControlpad, and the Wiz. I'm betting mid-January.

MWeston said:
Well, my personal opinion is: why not some mystery? Why not be surprised and enjoy the device when it shows up at your doorstep?
I agree. I already voiced my opinion once: I don't want more videos. I've seen the mock ups, I know how it looks and can guess how it feels. The videos only serve to whet my appetite even further, and if I could avoid clicking them I would, but alas, my mouse finger has a mind of it's own.
At most I might want a picture of a completed product, with visible keys and completed case, but that's just so I know I won't be blinded by reflective light coming off of it.

MWeston said:

If people want videos, they'll get videos, but doesn't that take all the fun out of a product launch? GPH has shown nothing and even now that the press release has happened, there is still nothing. Everyone seems to think that is fine and I think it is kinda neat too because when you get yours, it will all be new to you.

Heh, for some reason the notion of this reminds me of my very first handheld. All I got to see of that before I got it were a small handful of photographs in catalogues, and a brief few seconds staring at a demo unit running in a glass cabinet. And when I finally got it, it was the most awesome thing ever, to me. :p

</nostalgia>

MWeston said:

The difference is that the Pandora/Craiginator was announced/revealed quite a while ago and people got tired of the idea of "mystery" really fast. The gap between when the Pandora/Craiginator was revealed and when it will be released is much larger than the gap for the Wiz, which is why having some mystery is working fine for GPH. This late in the Pandora game (especially after all of the delays) people are tired of the teasing and mystery and just want information and regular updates.

This is just my opinion.

I really do like the mystery of it all. I bought my DS, PSP, Wii, and 360 at launch and on a whim just so I would be surprised about what was in store for me. But I don't like being toyed around with as far as a release goes. If one wants to remain completely amorphous and not speak at all about a release date, that's fine, but these half-truths, guessing games, vague wording, and ultra-flexible dates are extremely disheartening. Not that you all are trying to do anything like this, surely you aren't. But you've gotta understand how crappy it feels to have the date keep changing.

Which is why, ultimately, I'm glad that this September preorder, November release is being taken more seriously than others. Myself and others will, however, be holding you all to this one! :p

MWeston said:
The masses will get what the masses want.
Videos of the GUI. Videos of a complete working unit. Complete - as in keyboard, buttons, screen, mobo. Working - the device, in the case, powers up, the screen works, the buttons work, the audio works, the SD slot works, the BlueTooth works, the WiFi works... You know - a complete working unit - in the case.

Before everyone sets me up as the strawman, once again, saying "That's just what *chad* wants - that's not what the masses want!" Who wouldn't want these things? How many other people have asked for these things are similar in the past?

DisgruntleElf said:
The iControlpad is being handled by the same Pandora team which maybe contributing to Pandora's delays. Even the big boys don't attempt to release two big commerical products so close together. The mods would be working 24/7 cleaning up the profanity if preorders were taken and Pandora was delayed into next year. For fun can we set up a pool predicting a date when craigix completely loses it from balancing Pandora, iControlpad, and the Wiz. I'm betting mid-January.
LOL. I'll take that bet! What year?

MWeston said:
I think it's up to you whether to hide pandora-specific things like gui or not to hide. But as far as I get community wants to see a) fully assembled and working unit with keyboard and B ) some common juice demanding apps like mplayer playing h.264 smoothly or something similar. It would be nice if you show us the horsepower of the device. I agree that gui is your (team's) invention and if you don't want any help from community to polish it and want to make a surprise - it's your right not to disclose the info about it whatever demand there may be. Yeah, some people will cry "what the hell.." but it's totally up to you. Just please show us something (a and B ) before preodering starts!
edit: typo

"Before everyone sets me up as the strawman, once again, saying "That's just what *chad* wants - that's not what the masses want!" Who wouldn't want these things? How many other people have asked for these things are similar in the past?"

No Chad - you're not set up as a strawman for what you want, get it straight. It's because you're a jerk, plain and simple. Even those (like me) who would agree with your requests (in your case - belligerent demands) - end up disgusted by your outbursts. You're a perfect example of hurting your own cause.

I've seen enough of the case until I actually receive one, the only thing I want to see now is a few screenshots of the GUI and that will keep me going another 4 weeks until I want a video of Shenmue 2 running on the Pandora at 30fps....well maybe 1 out of 2 aint bad!

I don't think anyone expects GPH to be posting heaps of videos of cool new stuff. The did a couple for the original GP2X, but that was when it was new and exciting.

The Wiz does not add much, except for the possibility of showing a low details Quake3 that would be outstaged by the Pandora in 5 minutes.

The long JPEG like advert is typical in Korea and you might actually sell some units there if you did one. Type to rubber stamp a few piggies and giraffes over the images for good measure.

To summarize, i see that people want different things. Some want videos some want pictures some would like to see the gui some are not that desperate about it. I think we just want to see something. And it is a legitimate request even though other developers only show "..rubber stamp a few piggies and giraffes over the images.." because we've been waiting for so long and we're really tired of waiting and we just need something to keep us going. <an attempt to sound funny> Otherwise I'll commit a suicide and P's team will be responsible for my death. </an attempt to sound funny>
So please show us at least a fully assembled and ready to ship unit (the MK1) before it's time to preorder.

Purely from a PR (public relations) standpoint, it`s in your best interest to make a video of a final production unit. You`ll get more traffic from sites like engadget, and more sales, and isn`t that what you want?

If people want it to be a mystery, just don`t watch the videos.

Back