2xzdoom V2.2.0: Doom Engine

Adventus

GP Mania
2xzdoomstrifeio6.png

Heres the 3rd public Beta of my Zdoom port: Download Beta 1.2

You can get a wad selector made by bman here: Selector Frontend

Originally Zdoom was a source port of Doom based on ATB Doom and NTDOOM, however its been significantly extended and now supports Heretic, Hexen, Doom, Doom 2 & Strife, aswell as almost every mod made for these games. It is probably considered the defacto standard doom port and hence most modders strive to support it. Some interesting total conversions are: Blood, Wolfenstein 3D, Half-life, Quake, Quake 2, Duke Nukem, Golden Eye, Hell Raiser, HacX....

Most Recent Changelog:
- Fixed the flickering walls bugs.
- Music now loops fine.
- Handles 'cant find timidity' gracefully. Just outputs no audio instead of crashing.
- Added cmd argument "-timidity " so you can specify the location of timidity if it differs from 'mnt/sd/timidity'
- Added cmd argument "-frontend ". After 2xZdoom exits, will be executed.
- Added cmd argument "-stdlog", to enable stdout and stderr logging.
- Added Stick click as mappable button. NOT TESTED.

Notes:
- I have implemented a SDL sound renderer. So sound and music should be supported in all games.
- So far I've tested the Strife, Doom 1, Hexen & Heretic demos. Its up to you guys to test the rest. I suspect some of the more complicated mods might not be playable.
- Don't forget to read 2xZdoom220.txt and go to the "customize controls" menu to set the controls for each game.

Yes it supports most (all?) id tech games, There's also thousands of pwads which only work in Zdoom (or more advanced ports).

PrBoom attempts to closely emulate the original Doom games and as i understand it only supports "vanilla" wads. Zdoom extends the Doom engine via support for Hexen, Heretic & Strife and adds some of its own extensions. The doom modding community pretty much moved onto Zdoom (or its derivative GZdoom) a long time ago. They've since made some really awesome games. If you haven't played some of the mods then you've hardly scratched the doom universe.... heres some good wads: http://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/

Adventus said:
Yes it supports most (all?) id tech games, There's also thousands of pwads which only work in Zdoom (or more advanced ports).
thank you; I have so many wads I couldn't put on just for the fact that they are zdoom dependent. Maybe this will fix the issues I have with HACX and Doom64 as well as some large Heretic wads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool we kind of need a better version of Doom. Hopefully this will be able to updated to have sound (kind of important). PR boom was hard to get things running on. Even WADs that ran on the GP32 didn't work with prboom.

Any chance this one will support sound eventually?

Thanks for the port.

OMG!!! finally STRIFE!!!!!!!!
that stuff with sound support will be GREAT.

Thanks a lot for the port... damn fmod libraries :( for sound support you will need to convert all that stuff using another lib, wont you?

Excellent! You're the man Adventus!

Finally Doom, Heretic, Hexen and Strife all in the one port! I'm surprised nobody did this sooner.

Any chance this one will support sound eventually?
I'm working on sound at the moment. I think its very doable. It mainly uses FMOD as an interface to the hardware, Its already built around Timidity and Mikimod. I wont be able to support ogg decoding and some of the other fancy FMOD stuff. It does have an alternative sound renderer which uses DirectSound (from DirectX).... it should be fairly easy converting this over to SDL.

Finally Doom, Heretic, Hexen and Strife all in the one port! I'm surprised nobody did this sooner.
There's probably some good reasons this hasn't been ported to other platforms, i believe this is the first handheld port. I encountered lots of ambiguous memory alignment problems.... they can be really frustrating and hard to hunt down. Only by looking at a save file with a hexeditior and comparing it to the exact same PC savefile could i find out what was wrong with them. Then there's the FMOD and GTK dependency.... Although, i only started this port a week ago.

Thanks for all your support.

i remember posting in the pandora section about zdoom, and just casually asked if this could be ported to the gp2x, and what do ya know, ADEVENTUS ports it!!

Thank you soooo sooo sooooo much, i will be playing this alot know, since im on vacation wit our rv internet will be scarce, so this will definitely help pass the time

again thank you so much, i was really hoping this will happen :)!!!

Alrighty, time for an update. Heres the next beta:

http://host-a.net/Adventus/2xZdoom_PB1.1.zip

Changelog Beta 1.1
- Rewrote midi mixer to use libTimidity.
- Wrote SDL Audio renderer.
- Fixed menu input. Dont need to use Select & Start.

It seems to be rendering audio fine (music & sfx), i've tested doom2, heretic and hexen. The only thing different from Zdoom is that It doesn't support the FLAC audio format.... although none of the games i've ever tested use FLAC.

It does however crash if you try to change the sample frequency from within the game. Do it in the zdoom.ini instead.

Next up i'll try optimising the renderer.

Cheers, thanks for all your support.

You should make it a little clearer for morons like me that timidity needs to be installed at /mnt/sd/timidity

Now, a couple of things to mention:
1. When music gets to the end, it makes an annoying tone constantly until a new song is played instead of looping.
2. When the game starts or when a new song is played, it plays at default volume instead of the volume defined in the options menu.
3. The color black on PNG files is appearing as transparent.

I'll be watching for new releases.
Have fun continuing to improve this project!

Pickle said:

Strife, Hexen & Heretic demos
Are these why this port is different than prboom?

No, this is why:
http://pages.suddenlink.net/skutarth/Marine.pk3
Just use it as a PWAD for Heretic.

Ahh nice to see you resolved your problem.

You should make it a little clearer for morons like me that timidity needs to be installed at /mnt/sd/timidity
Haha, Good point. I'll put this on first post.

1. When music gets to the end, it makes an annoying tone constantly until a new song is played instead of looping.
2. When the game starts or when a new song is played, it plays at default volume instead of the volume defined in the options menu.
3. The color black on PNG files is appearing as transparent.
Thank you. I had not noticed any of these problems. They should be fairly simple fixes.... Is the PNG thing different from the PC Zdoom?

Adventus said:
Is the PNG thing different from the PC Zdoom?
Yes. The color black is not displayed as transparent on PC Zdoom.

Also, a few more suggestions:
Music seems higher-pitched to me.
It would be nice if I could bind the stick click.

I had doom1 and doom2 iwads and though I let it go for a while it never seemed to start up.

any chance at being able to choose which iwad and/or pwad you want? I know the gp32 doom port had a pwad selector and is something most people have missed in gp2x doom ports.

jbrodack said:
I had doom1 and doom2 iwads and though I let it go for a while it never seemed to start up.

any chance at being able to choose which iwad and/or pwad you want? I know the gp32 doom port had a pwad selector and is something most people have missed in gp2x doom ports.
You MUST have timidity on your SD card, or it will not start. Also, make sure you wait a while; It takes more than 15 seconds to start.

Also, a iwad/pwad selector isn't necessary. I don't believe the GP32 could use shellscripts, which made it necessary to have a selector.
However, you can just make a shellscript for any given thing you would want to do using -iwad and -file parameters. Look at Zdoom.txt (included with this release) for more information.

thanks, timidity is usually optional with ports I've played. I think it takes up around 30mb so I usually don't use it. guess I'll have to use it for this though.

the pwad/iwad selector isn't necessary just would be nice for those of us who are too lazy to use scripts.

thanks for the port adventus

thanks, timidity is usually optional with ports I've played. I think it takes up around 30mb so I usually don't use it. guess I'll have to use it for this though.
It is optional. If you dont want to use Timidity and dont mind having no audio, just pass the cmdline argument "-nosound".

It would be nice if I could bind the stick click.
This is the kind of thing i forget about, i dev on a F200. Which is also the reason i tend to push out releases with bugs.... there's only so much power cycling i can take (+ i use batteries). XD.

Thanks all for your feedback, I'll probably make another release soon to fix the bugs.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting deh or bex patches to work, more specifically Justin Fishers Aliens TC.

I've also tried to load up Goblin but 2xZdoom just crashes out on me. Maybe this is due to the heapsize being set to 8: how far do you think I can pump this up on the gp2x?

One last thing: if I don't want to use timidity, couldn't I just use the -nomusic command? Then I'd have SFX without needing timidity, right? I'd try this myself but right now I'm without my gp2x for a few hours.

Skutarth said:
Also, a iwad/pwad selector isn't necessary. I don't believe the GP32 could use shellscripts, which made it necessary to have a selector.
However, you can just make a shellscript for any given thing you would want to do using -iwad and -file parameters. Look at Zdoom.txt (included with this release) for more information.
A WAD selector would be a very nice touch though. Not everyone wants to or knows how to write scripts to play a game, plus then you could change games at will. Plus with a selector you don't have to have tons of script icons littered all over your card/screen for every game, just one executable and that is it, much cleaner. I could never get the scripts to work right in PRBoom (or maybe it was super finicky about WADs). It would be a nice finishing touch and something that would make this more user friendly.

Issues:

error logging seems to capture gmenu2x log data. Can logging be disabled?
exit seems to be always go to gp2x menu. This breaks a selector option. Can we select a different menu or disable?

Back