8 months later... a traveller's review

Yes I did. I used my cheap old Nokia phone as an EDGE/GPRS modem, I used the default bluetooth setup tool to set up phone<->pandora connection. It's the best mobile internet experience I ever had (compared to Motorola Milestone with Cyanogenmod and various versions of Opera Mini on wm6/symbian handsets). It is very easy to do.

In Russia we don't have these things tracked by providers (yet).

Yes I did. I used my cheap old Nokia phone as an EDGE/GPRS modem, I used the default bluetooth setup tool to set up phone<->pandora connection. It's the best mobile internet experience I ever had (compared to Motorola Milestone with Cyanogenmod and various versions of Opera Mini on wm6/symbian handsets). It is very easy to do.

In Russia we don't have these things tracked by providers (yet).

It will work via Bluetooth? I may have to get a data plan!

Great post killchain. I think a few Pandoras have been (or will be) out on deployment. Probably not something the team envisioned when they were designing it, but it sounds like it's more than fit for the task!

Some things I wish were on the system: a CAT-5 connector for when you don't have wifi access

Have a look here for USB to Ethernet Adapters that work with the Pandora.

Really nice write up, great to hear how well Pandora is working for you. :)

One thing that I've only recently discovered that has really improved the user experience of Pandora is using Panorama with Milky Test as the default GUI for package management, give it a go if you've not tried it yet.

Also, the review might be only true for newer and/or RMA'd Pandoras. One made earlier and being sold almost unused will almost certainly give you a couple of surprises with LCD cable, wifi chip and if you're particularly unlucky with nubs. If one sells an older Pandora which he actually used he probably already has these things fixed, but if it's mint device from the early first batch, buy a wifi dongle and a couple of spare LCD cables beforehand. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review! Good to hear that you managed to replace your laptop with it, as that's what I hope the Pandora will do for me, too. (Not entirely, but for all those small things that do not really require a big screen etc.)

Back