Pandora - A Review

Great review, thanks, I agree with everything (apart from the beef top hat probably).

Do the crack screens entertain others as much as they do me? When I was a child almost every game I owned

was of course copied and shared in the playground. The crack screens and music really take me back to

being in my bedroom, surrounded by school mates and trying the latest games, you always got the crack screen first

to tease you.
Yeah, it's a blast from the past (except for me it's Atari ST, but same story).

For me, it's C64 :)

MSX :)

I didn't think I would like the nub mouse mode, but when I got it, it works very natural to me. sometimes I forget I have a touch screen.
I think I actually suggested using the nubs as a mouse in one of my posts in the keyboard layout design threads two and a half years ago.

At least I remember playing around with it on a gamepad at the time and back then it already surprised me how well it worked.

I hated the nub on the PSP so I was worried a bit about how good the Pandora nubs were going to be. Luckily the nubs have turned out to be of great quality. The travel just feels so good. I rarely use the stylus.

I'm still having this blasted UAE problem. I found that sometimes certain roms will work, but then some fail to load and that causes the previously working ones to fail too. I'm just using the latest tosec dat and clrmamepro to try renaming them all and see if that makes a difference.

I hated the nub on the PSP so I was worried a bit about how good the Pandora nubs were going to be. Luckily the nubs have turned out to be of great quality. The travel just feels so good. I rarely use the stylus.

quote++; I thought that the PSP nub was very uncomfortable to use. I have largish hands, and the whole design of the Pandora is just great for me. I feel very comfortable holding it for quite some time. I can't even say that about a ps3 controller.

The Pandora is the only portable machine I've ever enjoyed Amiga on.

Just wish I could find the time to get my 3 DVDs of ADF files on to an SD card... or two.

Wow... that day I don't think I'll leave my bed. What a retro trip that will be.

Do the crack screens entertain others as much as they do me? When I was a child almost every game I owned

was of course copied and shared in the playground. The crack screens and music really take me back to

being in my bedroom, surrounded by school mates and trying the latest games, you always got the crack screen first

to tease you.

And this my friend is what introduced me to your wonderfull device!....... cant wait to play amiga on the go ..sensi soccer ,,, cannon fodder lemmings... i still remember googling handheld amiga and came across you introducing this little beauty on a amiga forum!

ah yes the crackscreens with cheats built in with retro music.... good times!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gah tosec didn't fix it, nor did deleting the app data. Why is this happening to me!

This may sound obvious, and my apologies if this turns out not to be useful, but have you loaded the latest firmware hotfix?

I used hotfix 4, but I've been holding off 5 until it's out of beta.

I'm having positive and negative experiences with emulators though, for instance; I cannot get Fuse to work at all, nothing happens when I run it.
Make sure your OS is fully patched. Some early firmware versions were missing a library which was mistakenly part of the codec pack but I thought that was fixed in a later release. There should be some clues in the /tmp/pnd_run output.

Great review.

I can barely contain myself with anticipated excitement.

I think I will probably die if I don't get my Pandora soon. Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!

I have had these kick roms for a long time now that you mention it, I'll try and find a more recent one.

Hi

Good to read a review such as this, cannot wait for mine to arrive now.

As for your UAE4ALL problem I have had this App do this on other handhelds, solution was to

clear the mem card and reinstall it, and that did thew trick.

I am towards the end of the first batch so a little time to wait yet..........

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, after reapplying the hotfix and reinstalling fuse, that now works, great! Unfortunately the same can't be said for UAE, I've tried everything!

Don't worry, I've fixed it now... I was using zipped ADFs! Move along.

Back