Pandora Review

Hah, nice review. It sounds like your thoughts are very much the same as mine. :)

One thing, though - I use Xfce, and don't use the stylus at all. I much prefer the nubs for mousing. Did you not get along too well with that?

Yes another review! These reviews are what help me get through the day, knowing that my Pandora will be in my hands soon. Great job and really jealous.

Great review, got excited just reading it. I'm wondering if you ever got used to mousing with the nubs like Prometheus says she does, I think it would be easier than using a stylus.

Good review. I hope N64 emulation picks up as well. I hope we'll see fullspeed emulation of it, but I'm a little doubtful about that.

What's the general opinion on that, anyways? Getting fullspeed N64 emulation, I mean.

Good review. I hope N64 emulation picks up as well. I hope we'll see fullspeed emulation of it, but I'm a little doubtful about that.

What's the general opinion on that, anyways? Getting fullspeed N64 emulation, I mean.
It's mostly a case of the Law of Diminishing Returns, more time invested gets you steadily smaller improvements. That said, Ari64 seems to be pumping out a lot of updates, and I am hopeful that there will be a large number of games fully playable by the time he is finished.

EDIT: Also, some specifics change from game to game, for example the audio on 007: The Worls is Not Enough is notoriously difficult to get working, so it's likely that it will not ever do so, but the rest of the game runs fine (I think).

Last edited by a moderator:
I too agree 99% About XFCE, I rarely use the stylus. I prefer to use keyboard shortcuts and works quite well. It still has a number of quirks though and I too look forward to maturation of the OS and other software.

Im glad you guys had fun reading it.

As for xfce controls, you guys are absolutely right.

Keyboard shortcuts and nub controls are the way to go here.

Wicked review! Makes me even more excited to get mine now. Cant wait to play some psx on it =)

One of the reasons I dont mind "retro" gaming is because, lets face it, there are too many games that are already "retro" but I never got to play...

PSX alone, I have a 3 pages list of games I wanted to play but never got to...

Why should I care about "current / next gen" games so much if I didnt even play the classics yet.

Thus the Pandora will be a big asset in my gaming archive. :D

One of the reasons I dont mind "retro" gaming is because, lets face it, there are too many games that are already "retro" but I never got to play...

Why should I care about "current / next gen" games so much if I didnt even play the classics yet.

You said it! I missed out on so much as a kid just by the consoles I chose to purchase. When the SNES was hot, I had a Genesis. (Mostly even trade off there.) When the PSX was out, I had a Saturn. I have pages and pages of classics that to me will be a brand new experience. And the fact that I get to play all my favorite ScummVM games again just excites me to no end! My Pandora cannot arrive soon enough. I just hope I can quickly overcome the linux learning curve to use this thing at its full potential!

You said it! I missed out on so much as a kid just by the consoles I chose to purchase. When the SNES was hot, I had a Genesis. (Mostly even trade off there.) When the PSX was out, I had a Saturn. I have pages and pages of classics that to me will be a brand new experience. And the fact that I get to play all my favorite ScummVM games again just excites me to no end! My Pandora cannot arrive soon enough. I just hope I can quickly overcome the linux learning curve to use this thing at its full potential!

There's nothing better than retro gaming. Retro games imo are still amazing whilst bringing back loads of memories. What more could you want lol :p

Back