Philosophical pandora review.

In my case, I have surges of days when I do stuff with my Pandora, and weeks can go when I don't do anything at all with it. This is probably because I have other devices (part of my job) to work with and it can all be a bit much.

But lately I've found more time for it, and I just really do love it as a machine. I would like to have 5 more just to leave around the places I go. ;)

I'm not really using it for games, more as a new unix workstation in the house, though I do download pretty much every new release and give them a go a few times .. it can be a bit fidgety to get some of the game stuff set up properly and onto the Pandora, however, and I don't have a lot of cartridges and roms to get into the deeper emu scene. Pocket MAME is awesome, though. This all works if you spend time at it, I just wish there were a real, legit, fully legal ROM download you could get for every emulator, so it could just be plug and play. There are games I wish I could just download (Descent, Quake, N64) without having to futz around with ROM setup, and so on.. There's room for a Pandora STEAM client, I think, or at least a good mechanism for getting hot releases.

Other than that though, I have been able to just download .PNDs directly onto the machine, and this has been nice in the cases where there are no other files required.

Its a fantastic music device. I'm enjoying the outputs on it, often just playing random. If I had a few spare, I'd probably dedicate one just to music.

SD cards are *so* convenient, and so is an /absolute/ lack of DRM. Just being able to scp stuff over for the party is wonderful.

Battery-life is superb. I want a Pandora-branded foldout solar panel recharger kit, though, please. Or, maybe a Pandora-branded hand crank recharger, kid-sized, would be good. ;)

Back