A Community game to be ready for launch! VOLUNTEERS NEEDED.

C++ SDL would be perfect for this.

We'd need someone to code up a framework and an interface for the minigames

Code:
// not much thought into this ;)
class MiniGame 
{
public:
  virtual bool Init( blah ) = 0;
  virtual void Update( float dT ) = 0;
  virtual bool HandleEvent( event ) = 0;
  virtual void Draw( screen ) = 0;
  virtual  bool IsDone() const = 0;
  virtual uint32 GetScore() const = 0;
};

Once we've got this, people can independently create a little game and submit it to the person in charge of making the build and menu and whatnot.

Sounds fun!

Python and LUA would be the two best things to use as scripting for the game- python is known by alot of beginner programmers, and alot of people on these forums are learning it. LUA is quicker to learn and more widely used in scripting

Penjin + samples
This is basically a snapshot of stuff on our SVN (excluding some really incomplete things and secret stuff :ph34r: )

The projects are setup for Code::Blocks :oops:
Every mini game can be its own state. You #include "BaseState.h" and overide the functions.

I wanted to hold off just posting this link, because it contains CromoZome, which is not ready for release, but you should hopefully be able to see how to use the engine from it's inclusion and the other two samples provided.

I would also use C/C++ and SDL as base code but the game itself should be written in lua or python (whereas i tend to use lua).
There should be some high level functionality for basic collision detection(rect/circle) and something like a function that returns what object was clicked.
Additionally convenient functions for highscore and other task like showing a menu should be implemented.

We could do a combination of C++ and lua. Somebody would just need to make a separate MiniGame class that would run lua. Then people could choose what language to use.

i think it's an awesome idea and i could help with testing and/or writing a mini-game

alright, im interested, but i've never coded anything except on windows/linux before. do we need to do anything special?

PoisonedV said:
alright, im interested, but i've never coded anything except on windows/linux before. do we need to do anything special?
Just get Code::Blocks and get my 7z file from the above link. develop your minigame inherited from the BaseState and you can test in in windows or linux using SDL.

I still have to setup a Pandora compile target in the projects files, or someone else could do that.

EDIT: oh yah. You can grab me on these messengers if needed:
GTalk: MYBOARDNAME @ gmail.com
AIM: pokeparadox
YIM: winfield_pantoja
MSN: pokeparadox@projectinfinity.co.uk
Xfire: pokeparadox

Looking at your code PokeParadox... Looks like everything is here, I just can't get it to build :) Need to set up some search paths in codeblocks i guess.

Yeah, I have SDL setup in codeblocks, but it's giving me errors about SDL.h.
Chucked that in the \Penjin3D Base directory just to make sure, still didn't work.
ive never worked with anyone elses code before, so this is all frustrating

dockthepod: Glad you got it to work! :)

PoisonedV said:
Yeah, I have SDL setup in codeblocks, but it's giving me errors about SDL.h.
Chucked that in the \Penjin3D Base directory just to make sure, still didn't work.
ive never worked with anyone elses code before, so this is all frustrating

it's probably that you have SDL setup in a different place to what the project is setup for.
If you are in Windows goto settings > compiler & debugger and check the GNU GCC Compiler settings

the project is setup to look for the files here: C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\MinGW\include\SDL
They may be somewhere else on your machine...

Alright, well had to add in a bunch of additions to the SDL because it didn't include them, but I finally got it working. is it confirmed that well be using this as the interface?

edit: so yeah, actually, scratch that. problems in linking now. for some reason, the SDL thing i had missed out on a bunch of .h and .lib files, and I have the latest stable version.

If i can code it in C/C++ and SDL ill make some games once the framework is posted, i can help with the framework too, if the coder wants help... Im not very good with making any pluginish things or UIs tho... Does it have to be warioware as much as just simple games? Because i always though warioware was sorta stupid.. A while ago i was designing a minigame game, and i had planned about 47 games(including things like breakout and pong variants tho, but i still had more than 20 origional ideas), but i never finished it because i couldnt get a good framework+UI for it, and so i went to working with 3D for the past few months...

PokeParadox said:
If you use this here: Code::Blocks GP2X devkit

This is the exact same version I have installed on my windows installation. The libs for SDL will be in the right place.
EDIT: Or grab me on one of the instant messenger addresses I posted and I'll see if I can help you out.
alright, everything works like a charm now. lets see if i can apply those old C# skills to use here...
(oh how I wish for the familiar comfort of IDLE)

On the engine side, it should be relatively easy to get Löve, based on SDL and OpenGL, working on the Pandora. And the way Lua is used in the engine should make it very easy to hand control over to a minigame (Possibly even giving you the ability to make the minigames easily extensible).

Didn't know that was out yet. I was watching his blog, because a while back he made a great game called survival crisis z.

also the author seems like a prick.

Back