A Launch title - A community effort.

Phawx

Professional Derailer
Anyone get the feeling that Pandora is missing a launch title? I know it will emulate a shit-ton of stuff, and instead of hitting up the already busy devs, maybe their is something the community could do?

I've been looking at Super Maryo Chronicals for awhile and I can't help but think maybe the community could get together and produce a mascot for Pandora to play through.

The level editor seems easy enough to use and maybe we could all think of a short game to build using Super Maryo Chronicles.

I'm not that good of an artist but I will make an attempt at an 8/16-bit sprite mascot that we could make for pandora.

What should the mascot be? Maybe we could have the Pandora symbol replace the star that makes Maryo invincible.

Anyone want to round together and see if we can make this happen in two months?

To make it easier to post here

Click Here!

What we would need:

1.) Mascot
2.) Looping *Nintendo-ish* Music. (You know, the music that constantly plays but you never seem to really get tired of)
3.) Enemies Sprites
4.) Some Levels
5.) A short story

The problem with launch titles is that the dev units have been given to people who do more important stuff.

Now, I'm not saying homebrew games are unimportant, but as a guy trying to sell a console, you need to make sure it has the vital functions (media player, GUI) as well as a fair library of games. This could have been achieved by giving out 20 pandoras to 20 game developers, thus creating like 30 launch titles, but by developing emulators and relying on the homebrew games being made once the thing is out, the pandora has a stable selection of games at it's launch.

That being said, I completely agree, a launch game sorta thing would be nice.

Is it really such a good idea to use a super mario clone to sell the pandora? I doubt Nintendo would be very happy about it...

Kyosys - I agree, I don't want to bother the devs. I guess Super Maryo Chronicles would have to be ported to work for Pandora, but I thought I saw in the old forums that this was(or easily) accomplished.

But most of the work for it would be done by the community, not by any of the Pandora Devs. We can make all of the assets for the game and try them out on our respective machines and kind of piece it all together.

teppic - Was Nintendo really all that happy about Sonic. We won't be using any assets from any Nintendo game, so legally there would not be anything they could do. Nintendo doesn't have the rights to ALL platformers. We would just be using the Super Maryo Chronicles engine to create a Pandora Platform Game.

Odium - I am totally fine with using that as the Pandora Mascot, I'll fool around and make a sprite.

OH OH I HAVE AN IDEA.

Pandora's Box? Based on that Greek myth. Pandora opens boxes, evil spirts come out, defeats them, wins keys to close boxes!

I actually love it, but I have no proggramming/ arty skills at all. And most probably no-one likes it.

Any thoughts?

Mascot would be good, It's a shame Hao and Yuan aren't about they could have made a quality one. A wind-water game would be great for the Pandora a sequel with touch screen support *ah sorry to go off topic* I wonder if someone could contact them about a mascot and I wonder when Wind-water is coming out for Dreamcast the site hasn't been updated in a while.

Alright, I like that story. Maybe the evil baddies that escaped are named after the emulators that are known to work on Pandora Day 1 and you have to beat them and 'collect' them to put back in the box?

Wasn't it meant to be a jar instead of a box?
yes ... the box was ajar :lol: :oops: :|

what about basing the mascot on ... red shirt & shorts
pandora.jpg

I was thinking about something similar to this myself - a community effort to make a quality game, people could contribute ideas/sprites/graphics/music/code etc and it could all be brought together by a few "core" members.

Feedback at each step would lead to improvements, so that when it is completed, it would be as good as possible.

Count me in, i could do some background graphics and i am trying to do sprites.
I think this would be a beautiful idea. But first we have to get the plot right: Maybe when the box is opened, a evil "whoknowswhat" has kidnapped all the devs and the player has to free them in order to get his preordered pandora in time.

Or maybe you could collect pandora parts all over the world *lol*

Alright, it seems that all levels end with a door or a pipe in SMC. So that is what we will have to use. At this moment there can not be any 'Bosses' per se. More I think we have to treat this as adventure platformer.

Since we can not have fundamental 'bosses' Lets say the level is the objective. There is Mount Olympus, Earth, The Underworld and Tartarus.

So, What are we collecting at the ends of these levels? pieces of what?

What comes out of Pandora's Jar? (I wish for an edit command or the un-laziness to look for it)

LOL mcobit!

But remember, we need to keep this simple! We don't want this game to be released after the Pandora's shipped :p.

Anything I can help with? I'm useless at everything apart from ideas and writing!

@Phawx: In the myths, it's the seven deadly sins like greed, jealousy, pride, lust, gluttony, sloth and wrath.

There's one good thing, Hope, so maybe thats what she's trying to find?

Back