A Community game to be ready for launch! VOLUNTEERS NEEDED.

PokeParadox said:
dasfool said:
Kagato said:
It would be much more preferable to call an interpreted script engine (say Python/Pygame), and only require the minigames to provide code for their game routine. I think you're better off putting more work into the framework so that you end up with a better minigame library.

I'm with Kagato on this. I think we should have a framework pre-designed and then just have the minigame authors be responsible for little modules that are added onto the framework and call back to basic functions in the framework. Either have these compile with the main program or be an interpreted language like python or lua so that they can be edited on the fly when necessary (I'd prefer the later).

Look, I know that it's in many ways beneficial to support scripting languages, and yes maybe in the future it will be possible to add support for LUA and python into the engine. As it stands however, we have a launch deadline to aim for and no LUA/Python support in the engine... I personally don't have the time to research and implement this and still get this ready for launch... if you know someone that can add it in then by all means we are not stopping you. This is our engine, this is how it is right now, we can't magic support out of thin air, and no one else stepped forward with anything, so we can only do what we can do. Sorry if you feel this excludes you, but we are doing are best to help this community project along.

Maybe you could use and adapt an already existing game-engine that uses scripting languages, if you want that? Like for example löve.

From Pokeparadox on gp32x.de

Basically we're not too fussed about what you do with the source, we hope it's helpful and as long as you don't outright plagiarise our work, do what you want with the base engine.
It uses some LGPL libs, however.

And just an update, I'm nearly finished coding an interface state which will keep track of lives and basically join the minigames together depending on which mode you've selected... and I've already included Zacaj's game. It's taking a but longer because I've been coding with a monster headache to try and get it ready today, but it's not done and I still have a headache, so please just hang on a little longer and keep making your minigames.

I've now finalised how you should exit your MiniGame:
We have a structure for passing variables between states. It's logically called "variables"
all you need to do is set a 1 for passed or 0 for failed into the 0 index of the variables object
CODE

variables[0].setInt(0); // MiniGame failed
variables[0].setInt(1); // MiniGame passed!

Following that you set the next state to STATE_MAIN
CODE

setNextState(STATE_MAIN);

This main state works out what to do next, so you don't have to worry about it, you don't have to worry about lives or anything. Just concentrate on a nice mini game and just set if you pass or fail then set the STATE_MAIN.

Last edited by a moderator:
PokeParadox said:
Look, I know that it's in many ways beneficial to support scripting languages, and yes maybe in the future it will be possible to add support for LUA and python into the engine. As it stands however, we have a launch deadline to aim for and no LUA/Python support in the engine... I personally don't have the time to research and implement this and still get this ready for launch... if you know someone that can add it in then by all means we are not stopping you. This is our engine, this is how it is right now, we can't magic support out of thin air, and no one else stepped forward with anything, so we can only do what we can do. Sorry if you feel this excludes you, but we are doing are best to help this community project along.
No, you're right. Sorry if I came across as overly negative.
You shouldn't let some theoretical ideal get in the way of you developing a decent program. While scripting would definitely be nice, it's not practical if you haven't dealt with it before; and no-one else is leaping forward with a solution. Perfect is the enemy of good, as they say.

If I can find a way of contributing, I will. Best of luck.

I understand, I forgot the meaning of the thread for a moment. Perhaps after release and after the scripting languages get ported another version with a different framework could be created. I do wish you luck with your launch game!

Thanks guys for seeing our point of view, after launch, we'll see what we can do about scripting support, it is useful to have, after all. :)

I just updated the Pandora Panic thread

Please, you are welcome to keep all discussions in this thread. We'll keep the first post updated, with the latest links, progress, etc. And the thread can just continue with any problems, etc.

Update here too, I have the minigame logic somewhat sorted out, and this morning my headache is gone, so that obviously good news. I should definitely have something to post tonight, and I'll try to write some complete instructions about what you should be doing.

I must say, if you are working on a minigame, please let us know then people can avoid doing the same idea!

Also any musicians? We could do with some victory and failure music for the MiniGame Interface. Also something good for the title screen.

I suspect Sonistar will be helping us with our graphics requirements, but if you are needing resources, then let people know now, so that people can volunteer! :)

I've just updated the first post with this-

ben_monk said:
PLEASE USE THISTHREAD INSTEAD

08.10.08 - Sadly I can't help any more with the project as I have my GCSE mocks to worry about, and there is nothing really for me to help with.

PokePandorx has taken over the project, on THIS thread, please contact him for any help.

If someone could email me please, when this gets into testing. If you want me to help with anhything relating to the game PLEASE contact me- I can't wait to see it!

Good luck with this project everyone! :D

Space Trader (http://www.spacetrader.co.uk/links.htm) would be awesome especially if it was improved with graphics to be more like the original Elite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(computer_game)), albeit with improved graphics.

Or my personnel favorite NetHack but the graphical version Falcon's Eye (http://users.tkk.fi/~jtpelto2/nethack.html)

giddion said:
Space Trader (http://www.spacetrader.co.uk/links.htm) would be awesome especially if it was improved with graphics to be more like the original Elite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(computer_game)), albeit with improved graphics.

Or my personnel favorite NetHack but the graphical version Falcon's Eye (http://users.tkk.fi/~jtpelto2/nethack.html)
I'm confused about what you are getting at...

Back