A new "Humble" bundle

WizardStan

Mega GP Mania
https://www.humblebundle.com/

I'm unbelievably torn on this one. It's EA, there is nothing humble about them! But at the same time they aren't getting any of the money, it's all going to profit and "humble tip".

I'm trying to figure out what their angle is. Are they legitimately doing a charity drive? Or are they using that as a guise to try and get more people on Origin? I don't know what to do!

The latter, it seems to me. But you can always subvert their offer if you're already got (or don't care about) Battlefield 3, Dead Space 3 and the Sims 3 and just unlock everything else on Steam, while donating to charity.

Myself? Meh, wake me up when the next *indie* bundle comes out. I really don't care about any of those games apart from possibly Mirror's Edge, and I bought that yonks ago.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

I'm unbelievably torn on this one. It's EA, there is nothing humble about them! But at the same time they aren't getting any of the money, it's all going to profit and "humble tip".

I'm trying to figure out what their angle is. Are they legitimately doing a charity drive? Or are they using that as a guise to try and get more people on Origin? I don't know what to do!
Is Steam a requirement again or do some of these work without Steam?

And what does "to play on Windows through Origin" mean?

Is Origin some kind of Steam?

Last edited by a moderator:
Origin is EA's own version of STEAM.

There are some really good games in this selection. And it's Pay what you want (minimum $1.00).

These are available on Steam :

Humble Origin Bundle games available on Steam:

Crysis 2 Maximum Edition

Dead Space 1

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box

Mirror's Edge

Medal of Honor

Sounds good to me.

I just love being a PC gamer :) .

Cheers for the heads up. 

Paid a dollar, I'm only gonna miss out on Dead Space 3 if I skip on Origin. Maybe if I like the others I'll install the blasted thing and play through it. I don't care too much as to what EAs intention is, although if they'd have been getting their share it would have been $1 to Humble Bundle. 5 AAA titles for the same price as a crappy cup of coffee. You'd have to be nuts not to :lol:

I refuse to support EA even if its cheap and for charity.

Even if I already own a few of those ;-)

I usually buy the Bundles without spending to much thought about the games that are bundled, just to support that they promote that there can be success without including DRM. But with more and more bundles coming out that include DRMed games I more and more let them pass, I just don't want to take any part in that business model. Sad to see that they are going more and more astray from their original (promoted) idea.

But this one was is easy for me, as I would only be interested MIrrors Edge.

The key thing to remember here is that ea are doing all this for charity so no need to grumble, it's not like it's done just for you guys personally, I think it's a brilliant deal for what it is.

The key thing to remember here is that ea are doing all this for charity so no need to grumble, it's not like it's done just for you guys personally, I think it's a brilliant deal for what it is.
There is no grumble on my side, I'm just sad that one of the flagships of "DRM free gaming" is starting to tend in the DRM direction. I had hoped that HB would use their leverage as a promotonial platform to squeeze out a DRM free game from a big publisher someday.

I do not understand, why GoG.com is still opposing Linux.

They even have quite some games in the set for which a Linux port exists, but they do not offer these files.

I've complained to them about having bundles with DRM/Windows only games. The answer was nice enough, basically stating that they will continue to do DRM free/linux bundles, but are also expanding their model.

That makes me sad personally, but from a financial standpoint it makes perfect sense. Seeing the numbers their Deep Silver bundle sold even before I got the advertising Email it actually would make sense to drop their porting efforts completely and just be the Steam/Origin/whatever bargain bin.

That's why I think we need some kind of Free Content Foundation (as already said on he f2p thread). RMS is a fanatic, but he didn't sell out because of that. That is great and the importance of this achievement cannot be stressed enough, but now with offers becoming more and more net/community centered, providing free to use/modify/redistribute software isn't good enough any more and while the market may provide a niche for a non profit oriented content provider, there curently is none (that I'm aware of).

Recently I hooked my (inherited, dust gathering) XBox 360 up to the internet and was completely amazed at how much it is purely a money grabbing platform. For example I didn't find a way to order search results by price (after all one of the the primary purposes of a computing device) or the 'install first without confirmation and ask for money later' scheme used pretty much everywhere. I wouldn't want my child to grow up in such an environment. I can easily live without everything offered there, but it started me thinking, if it isn't possible to have a charity/nonprofit organization providing these services. It doesn't neccessarily have to offer everything 'free of charge', but I'm hoping for the 'free of scam' type of service that we are used to from ED.

I do not understand, why GoG.com is still opposing Linux.

They even have quite some games in the set for which a Linux port exists, but they do not offer these files.
They clarified this when Valve launched Steam for Linux. They said that it would be too much work to support different distributions, if I remember correctly. Well, what they could do is support Ubuntu at least. 

Back