A new "Humble" bundle

I do not understand, why GoG.com is still opposing Linux.

They even have quite some games in the set for which a Linux port exists, but they do not offer these files.
Well it's easy: what they are doing is a lot of hard work. Since they aren't on a crusade, they do what gives the best profit and that is targeting Windows.

It needs a nutcase to change that, because he definitely will work his ass off without making much money. But I'm hoping some of the younger board members have enough energy and idealism to go for it:)

I had some hopes for these new Pirate parties, but unfortunately they are mostly spoiled kiddies that only care about watching bootlegged videos free of charge. There is too little motivation there to address the actual (non personal) problems like patent law.

They even have quite some games in the set for which a Linux port exists, but they do not offer these files.
They clarified this when Valve launched Steam for Linux. They said that it would be too much work to support different distributions, if I remember correctly. Well, what they could do is support Ubuntu at least. 
What's the work in uploading the already existing Linuxports for

Waking Mars, Capsized, Tiny & Big, Darwinia, Uplink, DEFCON, Multiwinia and Avadon for example?

Afaik these games are sold there for Win and Mac.

They clarified this when Valve launched Steam for Linux. They said that it would be too much work to support different distributions, if I remember correctly. Well, what they could do is support Ubuntu at least. 
What's the work in uploading the already existing Linuxports for

Waking Mars, Capsized, Tiny & Big, Darwinia, Uplink, DEFCON, Multiwinia and Avadon for example?

Afaik these games are sold there for Win and Mac.
They don't want to start selling them because it means more customer support as well. And they probably think sales will be too small to justify the additional time spent on it.

Since it's a for-profit company, I hope they have thoroughly assessed if it made economic sense or not. I can't answer that question. 

Linux Steam is not doing too bad, though. 1% of overall Steam users, it's small, but if you consider the fact that:

- Linux is not very widespread on desktops

- The choice of games is probably like 500 times less on Linux than Windows on Steam...

1% is still very respectable. 

About GOG, they MAY be supporting Linux in the future... if I believe what they put in their job offer for GDC Europe attendees :

http://www.gog.com/work#senior_software_engineer_desktop

Responsibilities:
  • Shape and develop next generation of multi-platform desktop software, experienced by millions of users every month.
  • Take charge of an existing team, plan and schedule tasks.
  • Take part in hiring new talent.
  • Stay up to date with all emerging new technologies.
Requirements:
  • Proficiency in C++ with proven experience.
  • Experience in developing rich desktop applications heavily oriented on excellent UX.
  • Technical knowledge of popular operating systems: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux.
  • Network experience, especially HTTP.
  • Experience in multi-platform development.
  • Fluency in spoken / written English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Linux could just be there for things like servers or some internal infrastructure. For game porting you would see keywords like SDL, OpenGL, GCC,  ...

Linux could just be there for things like servers or some internal infrastructure. For game porting you would see keywords like SDL, OpenGL, GCC,  ...
They mention desktop applications, right? At least they could be building a Linux GOG client. At least that's what I think they were hinting at. BUt I could be wrong.

They said that it would be too much work to support different distributions
In this they are absolutely incorrect. They already have the data files for most games, they're doing extra work by packaging them into an executable installer. Instead, just put them in a zip. That would make me so very very happy. Instead of having to boot up Windows in order to install a game which I will simply copy into my Linux DOSBox directory (ditto for scummvm) I could just extract them directly. Basic Linux support without any additional work, works on any distribution, any hardware.

I refuse to support EA even if its cheap and for charity.

Even if I already own a few of those ;-)
why not just give it to humble/charity then giveaway/sell the keys to people w/o any objections?
The charities that EA chose are not what I want to donate to. Childs Play is fine but they didn't add that to the list. 

I'd rather keep my money than give things to EA 

Just noticed now that 2 of the games do not work in Japan for me. "That code is not valid in your country". Mother****ers
This things getting better and better - they do not even make it easy to organize and update your game library, they even prevent you from doing the "wrong" thing  :D

But wouldn't porting be out of their scope ? I thought they only sell applications that either work native on newer systems, or that can be persuaded via DosBox/ScummVM ?

In this they are absolutely incorrect. They already have the data files for most games, they're doing extra work by packaging them into an executable installer. Instead, just put them in a zip. That would make me so very very happy. Instead of having to boot up Windows in order to install a game which I will simply copy into my Linux DOSBox directory (ditto for scummvm) I could just extract them directly. Basic Linux support without any additional work, works on any distribution, any hardware.
Me too, but there is GOGOnLinux, which relies on Innoextract (I think)

They said that it would be too much work to support different distributions
I obviously don't know, but I suspect that most of their license agreements with the copyright holders are pretty specific in terms of target system. Additional systems would result in (even) more contract work and higher licensing costs. It actually seems pretty amazing to me that they did get these licenses at all. Having a simple and consistent business model, i.e. none of this free software crap (it's about the iPhone using CEO's perspective after all), does probably help.

I obviously don't know, but I suspect that most of their license agreements with the copyright holders are pretty specific in terms of target system.
If this was the reason they gave I'd accept it, but it isn't. They've stuck to their guns on this: they don't target Linux because it's "too hard" to maintain and support.

I don't really mind steam, but there's no way I'll use origin, I won't use an editor platform like that... I bought the bundle, there's some good title and it's 100% charity. I'll miss the good origin only title, but well... the rest worth it

Humble Indie Bundle 10 is out

http://www.humblebundle.com

To The Moon

Runner 2

Reus

Papo & Yo

Joe Danger 2

Surgeon Simulator 2013

+ more to come

Even "To The Moon" alone is worth it and it's nice to finally see those titles for Linux. :) Let MS die!

The more I buy from HB, the more I regret having bought some of these games a while ago on gog.com (windows only) since I am using Linux now and haven't even gotten the time to play all these yet. -.-

I still don't have a computer powerful enough to run half the games on the original Humble Bundle, so really me buying any sequential ones is half to support the Linux cause, and half because at some point in the future I'll probably land up with a more powerful computer.

I still don't have a computer powerful enough to run half the games on the original Humble Bundle, so really me buying any sequential ones is half to support the Linux cause, and half because at some point in the future I'll probably land up with a more powerful computer.
I think it's time to upgrade your computer. ;-) Don't necessary to buy a new one, just upgrade it. I've for example just updated my CPU+Mainboard+RAM and kept everything else. The case, power supply and fans will probably be compatible with new hardware until they break. Hard drives don't really need to be replaced either, I'll just use them until they break too. Maybe my graphics card will need an upgrade before it breaks, but it will probably still do for a few years.

That way you never need to pay too much at once and you can get the very most out of your money and the parts you already have.

The first HIBs had some games in them, that are stressing the hardware more, than many of the later ones, as I may add.

What kind of system do you have?

I currently have running: my Pandora, an early Atom netbook, and a Pentium III running on-board graphics in a text-only mode at the moment. To be honest, the Pandora, combined with my 3DS is giving me more than enough to play during my play-time at the moment.

Back