A Pandora 2 Concept

Well, there are some pretty nice ideas here :)

Here is what I think about it:

The overall concept of the Pandora is great. I think we should keep that (keyboard, clamshell, etc.).

There are quite a few things that can be improved:

• Display: A bit bigger (moving the speakers somewhere else to keep the same size). Resolution / visibility in bright sunlight depends on what is available with that size and for a reasonable price.
  • Hinge: More stiff to stay in every possible angle (like a laptop)
  • Case: Needs to have all flaws removed. It needs to be redesigned anyways if we use a bigger display, a different hinge, Micro SD Slots instead of SD-Slots, etc. Maybe Aluminium? Would be nice.
  • Specs: Of course, more recent CPU, Wifi Module, etc. Whatever is available for a reasonable price :)
  • Internal storage: NAND is expensive (if you want higher capacities), but fast. It would be need having an internal MicroSD Slot as storage - because then you could easily increase internal storage to whatever you like. Flash is slower then NAND though, so we'd need to check if it makes sense.
  • OS: The main sales point for the Pandora right now is Linux. That's what my customers tell me. Android is nice for a touchbased OS, but some guys (like myself) love to have multiple windows on one desktop at once. Linux is more suited to port standard desktop apps (ClawsMail, LibreOffice, etc.) than Android. So my preference on such a system would be Linux. However, I can also see the demand in Android. There is a lot of stuff available, it might be more easy to use for some guys, etc. But at the moment, it's not a proper PC Desktop replacement (might change when more netbooks use Android, but right now, it's a nice GUI for touch-based devices). Also, I prefer quality above quantity. Android has TONS of apps and games, but you never know how well they will run on the system you own. I hate that. If you download Pandora games, you know they will work and be optimized for the Pandora. So as conclusion, I'd be happy to have BOTH OS out there. I prefer Linux, others prefer Android. If both is available, then you can flash whatever you want. You want a Mini PC Desktop with dedicated homebrew games? Boot Linux. You want an Android-Device with an unbelievable number of software to try out? Boot Android. That's it.
    The current Angström OS is a very open design. You can bake recipes and images for many different ARM machines. Therefore, the OS could be used on Pandora 2 as well, including most of our polishings and features we're currently including for Pandora 1. You should even be able to run most of the existing PND software titles as long as the new device is still ARMv7 compatible.

So basically, what I have in mind is a Pandora with better specs, all remaining issues removed and some things improved, as open as it is right now, but with two OSes to choose from.

Of course, funding from that needs to come from Pandora 1 sales, and it still needs to be developed (which is a loooong way), therefore, don't you all now start saving for Pandora 2 instead of Pandora 1 :)

Without Pandora 1 sales there won't be a Pandora 2.

Micro SD Slots instead of SD-Slots

Please don't do that, or at least not for both slots! One of the best features of the Pandora is being able to just put any SD card in, especially since so many cameras also use SD cards! (And with a small sd to micro sd adapter - which can be in the carry case all the time - also micro sd can be used)

So basically, what I have in mind is a Pandora with better specs, all remaining issues removed and some things improved, as open as it is right now, but with two OSes to choose from.

ED you nailed it. The design right now ist perfect for the purpose. If you want a touchscreen android device with gaming controls you can use the iControlPad. I even think Craig is working on some kind of device to fit right in between.

I agree with Emnasut don't switch entirely to Micro SD, a mix of both card sizes would be ok though.

yes I agree please DO NOT! change from standard SD to micro SD

1. micro sd cards are more expensive and usually higher capacities will come out on standard SD before getting the same capicty on micro SD

2. plus more devices use normal SD than micro sd meaning you can swap the SD cards accross mutiple devices without needing adaptors :)

It would be need having an internal MicroSD Slot as storage - because then you could easily increase internal storage to whatever you like. Flash is slower then NAND though, so we'd need to check if it makes sense.
That's extremely difficult to find out, actually. What made you decide for a Micro SD card slot instead of an SD card (non-micro) slot as a possible NAND replacement?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess: Size if it's to be internal. It allows a user to switch operating systems by switched cards without consuming one of the external SD card slots (having two is useful, so you can copy photos from your friend's camera to your SD without needing to write to the NADN). Also you won't have to worry about "writing to the NAND", because if you're SD card wears out, swap it.

Makes sense to me. However, externally, I would agree full SD cards is pretty much a must. Internally, micro is fine, it's like you get with phones

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like the idea of an internal sd card (non micro) as long as there is no speed difference between using that and using nand.

I do like the idea of an internal sd card (non micro) as long as there is no speed difference between using that and using nand.
Don't you run the OS off an SD card anyway? You did at Replay...

I do and I wouldnt mind doing that internally aswell as long as there is no noticible difference (to be fair I havent noticed any using the front sd slot anyway).

i wouldnt even mind using an micro sd for the internal storage either as long as external remains standard sd card :)

It would be need having an internal MicroSD Slot as storage - because then you could easily increase internal storage to whatever you like. Flash is slower then NAND though, so we'd need to check if it makes sense.
That's extremely difficult to find out, actually. What made you decide for a Micro SD card slot instead of an SD card (non-micro) slot as a possible NAND replacement?

Depending on the SoC, NAND might be pretty expensive (PoP, etc.).

Also, if the NAND is broken, it's hard to replace, whereas a broken SD Card can also easily be replaced.

And you could put 32GB MicroSD Cards internally for the OS, if you want :)

About SD / MicroSD:

Pandora 2 is not developed yet, and you can be sure it will take a while.

We'll have to watch the market to see about the availability of SD / MicroSD Cards as well.

It might be that SD Cards will die out, who knows.

We'll see.

However, the additional space could also be used to place SMD parts from one side of the PCB to the other one.

Right now, the top side of the Pandora PCB only has a couple of condensators and LED on it. Because of that the PCB needs to be SMT populated on both sides, which adds costs (about 15 EUR per PCB!).

If we could put everything on ONE side, it would lower the production costs, and therefore the retail price.

However, as no Pandora 2 PCB is planned yet, we don't know if it's even possible (even with MicroSD Cards) to only populate one side :)

What's making you think this? The fact that nearly every smart phone out there takes a MicroSD, and nearly every camera takes some form of SD card would speak otherwise. I've yet to see anything come close to replacing it as well.

yes I agree please DO NOT! change from standard SD to micro SD

1. micro sd cards are more expensive and usually higher capacities will come out on standard SD before getting the same capicty on micro SD

2. plus more devices use normal SD than micro sd meaning you can swap the SD cards accross mutiple devices without needing adaptors :)

Wait, what?! Not anywhere I've seen, but as in most cases the Australian market probably got things ass-backwards with this.

While moz is right about Australian pricing with regards to SD and Micro SD, I have to say here, that milkshake still has a point... for faster, higher capacity cards I just haven't seen the same availability in micro SD.

Mind you I wouldn't object to an internal micro SD card being used for NAND replacement / extension but I would still want two full-sized SD slots with external access.

- Neelix

What's making you think this? The fact that nearly every smart phone out there takes a MicroSD, and nearly every camera takes some form of SD card would speak otherwise. I've yet to see anything come close to replacing it as well.
Well, compact flash cards pretty much died off, who's to say sd is not next. Guess it just depends on how long we're talking, anything is possible. But I agree, sdxc is the way to go for at least one slot. Micros are a pita and I love popping in my sd card from my slr and posting to fb or what have you. Very convenient! It's how I notified my family of my last baby being born :p

Micro SDs are just to micro for my taste and it would break the compatibility to the Pandora SDs, meaning, just insert your Music/Video/Game SD from the Pandora or even GP2X into the Pandora 2. :) Many Useres would have to buy Micro SDs first, I only have normal SDs for example.

Case: Needs to have all flaws removed. It needs to be redesigned anyways if we use a bigger display, a different hinge, Micro SD Slots instead of SD-Slots, etc. Maybe Aluminium? Would be nice.
The Battery connectors should get also an overhaul, placing them on the side for example so that the battery has better contact than the curren one (that is only hold by the battery cover)

so I think most people would want to stick with external standard SD slots but wouldnt mind an internal micro SD.

Back