A Pandora 2 Concept

Just to end all speculations and prevent further rumors to develop: I know from a very reliable source that ██████ ██ ████ █████ Pandora2 █████ █████ ███ ████████ ███ ███████.

Edit: WOAH! What happened there ?? :eek:

:p :D

Last edited by a moderator:
███████████████████████████████

███ ████ █ ████ ██ ███ ██ ███

███ █ ███ █ ██ ████ ██ ██ ██ ███ █ ██

███ ██ ██ █ ██ ████ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██

███ ███ █ █ ██ ████ ██ ██ ██ ███ ██ ██

███ ████ █ ████ ██ ███ ██ ██ ██

████████████████████████████████

ascii art fail

Honestly, I think the Pandora has enough pixel density. It's practically impossible to see individual pixels. Given that, how useful would a higher resolution actually be?

On the other hand, maybe a fake higher-res (e.g. 1200x720, 50% bigger) might be useful, i.e. on the software level it's the higher resolution, but it actually displays at 800x480. This can be experimented with the current Pandora too. Actually, you can get a pretty good idea of how useful it would be by resizing a screenshot. This is from Windows, but this is a resized version of a crop of a screenshot that was 1200x720:

http://img580.images...32/highresu.png

I looked at that on my Pandora, and it honestly looks quite nice. Everything is still readable, and it's incredibly difficult to notice that it's scaled. The only real problem is that the text is so small, but that would be present with the resolution being actually bigger as well.

(BTW, I did this in MS Paint. I just used the "Resize" option.)

Y'know... building off onpon4's comment...

I remember using older versions of SuSE that allowed a user to set a desktop resolution higher than the display could show too (I don't know if it still does), but they gave TWO ways to handle over-allocation.

The first was what onpon4 said, but the second allowed the desktop to exist partly off the screen at native resolution.

By moving the mouse to the edge of the screen, the viewable area would move with the cursor, and render that area of the desktop instead

So if I, needed a 1024X768 resolution but didn't want to scale it down for some reason, I could just pan around the over-sized desktop.

Maybe this could be looked into as well.

Oh, and hello all you people that I've been silently watching for months and have been too socially awkward to communicate to!

Id love to see some concepts which could actually be used.

On the desktop bigger then screen subject, some old netbooks have this going in order to properly run windows(98 I guess).

Such system works horribly this way, as for windows can´t run properly on 800x600. I mean, windows run, but whatever program you run over it is a disaster.

I take the linux running on Pandora is better able to cope with its own resolution, program ports are probably taking the resolution into account too. Original programs have no problem at all (similar thing happens on caanoo).

If desktop scroll is to be used, I just wish there is a ´pan´ key just like the space bar on gimp or photoshop, border scroll is really bad IMHO.

as for concept, I do like the zx spectrum looks of the current pandora!

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum

Id love to see some concepts which could actually be used.
realistic_pandora_2-1-isolated.png

That's exactly what the abandoned Pandora 1.5 was planned to look like, well, apart from the speakers were in the hinge area and the LEDs were reduced to 2 multicolour LEDs.

What about putting speakers on the front and SD slots on the sides?

Y'know... building off onpon4's comment...

I remember using older versions of SuSE that allowed a user to set a desktop resolution higher than the display could show too (I don't know if it still does), but they gave TWO ways to handle over-allocation.

The first was what onpon4 said, but the second allowed the desktop to exist partly off the screen at native resolution.

By moving the mouse to the edge of the screen, the viewable area would move with the cursor, and render that area of the desktop instead

So if I, needed a 1024X768 resolution but didn't want to scale it down for some reason, I could just pan around the over-sized desktop.

Maybe this could be looked into as well.

Oh, and hello all you people that I've been silently watching for months and have been too socially awkward to communicate to!
As far as I know, both of these options ought to work on the pandora already. The first can be done using xrandr on most graphics chipsets (I'll have to try this to see if it works on the pandora), and the second is called a 'virtual' resolution and can be done on virtually (no pun intended) any X server so will definitely work. Normally you do it by specifying a virtual resolution higher than the monitors max resolution in XF86Config/xorg.conf

What about putting speakers on the front and SD slots on the sides?

But then you'd have to redesign the whole PCB?

On topic... what would be so bad about having the speakers in the hinge?
Cramped? Requires Major case modification? Reduced stereo effect? I suspect the P2 will have a complete PCB redesign anyway...

One thing I would drool over would be the Pandora having the same smooth exterior material of the kindle fire. I feel that thing up whenever I get the chance. In fact, I'm using it right now.

I don't know the Kindle, but I assume this is a similar surface feeling as the Viliv N5 or some other modern devices...

My fear about those modern surfaces is that they will get sticky and chemically damaged soon. So although I like the feeling, too, I still prefer the old-fashioned plain plastic surfaces.

Daniel

If it's like the coating that Nyko uses on their extended 3DS batteries (a thin layer of soft, matte stuff that looks like rubber but probably isn't), you might not want to use that. Unfortunately, it comes off very easily.

Back