A Pandora 2 Concept

We might just have to stick to 800*480 and let the fact that Android runs at that res give us piles of software optimised for it.

This comment just clicked in my brain...

Is this to imply that the Pandora 2.0 will run Android as an alternative and have access to the Android Marketplace?

next question then would it be plausable if the pandora 2 does run Android natively, would you theoretically be able to dual boot from an sd card (the same way current android devises do) and be able to run angstrom, ubuntu or whatever the choice of os is?

It would be nice with 1280 x 720 though, as newer android phones seem to go with that.
Personally I find that 800*480 on my pandora and Galaxy S2 isn't high enough for web surfing without being just a bit annoyed by the resolution.

Not sure 720 would help alot with that though.
I don't have a problem with web browsing on my SGS2... my problem with it is that the dpi settings for all the UI elements take up too much space, making it hard to see elements of the screen while typing in chats and such. I have heard rooted devices can change the dpi, but I haven't had a chance to root mine yet.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

next question then would it be plausable if the pandora 2 does run Android natively, would you theoretically be able to dual boot from an sd card (the same way current android devises do) and be able to run angstrom, ubuntu or whatever the choice of os is?

Nothing is stopping us from doing that now, Hell I even have an Android, Ubuntu and Debian SD card I can choose to boot from. But none of the OSs are as polished and as functional as Angstrom.. our guys on this forum done a ton to optimize it.. not to mention it doesn't have the overhead that Android does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being able to dual-boot to Angstrom (or other full desktop environment with an SSH client) would pretty much be a requirement in my book. But being able to re-boot into Android to get access to the tons of apps there would be nice too. Android doesn't seem to have much for remote access agents - SSH FTP, etc... Maybe there is - I'm not as familiar with it as I probably should be. It just feels 'locked down' when I use my wife's Android phone. Some of the games and utilities are fun though.

Just a thought to throw in regarding the discussion relating to screen resolution : IMHO the acceptable / desired resolution of the screen should largely be based around the projected release date of Pandora 2.

If Pandora 2 is not due until say 2014 then it would be utter folly to stick with an 800 X 480 screen as by that time, if present trends continue, even low budget smartphones will significantly exceed that resolution and thus user expectation would not be met for a relativley expensive device like the Pandora.

If Pandora 2 were to make a relativley sudden appearance then 800 X 480 would probably be acceptable to most users, however the experience of getting Pandora 1 to market should give pause for thought for anyone who believes that Pandora 2 could be brought to market quickly.

Although I think a higher resolution would be nice (mostly for web browsing, Libre Office etc.) (well and maybe for 720 p vids just so they don't need to be scaled) I think it would be important to pick a resolution wich works for most emulators, meaning it should be possible to scale x3 or x2 without having a huge border, which would defeat the purpose of a larger screen.

Android doesn't seem to have much for remote access agents - SSH FTP, etc... Maybe there is - I'm not as familiar with it as I probably should be.

Try 'AndFTP' for all your FTP / SSH GUI needs.

If you prefer the traditional terminal feel, you can use 'ConnectBot'

Personally I use both, one to grab a file from a server, the other to (eg) restart Apache if needed.

Both available in the market.

HTH

however the experience of getting Pandora 1 to market should give pause for thought for anyone who believes that Pandora 2 couldf be brought to market quickly.
Experience is exactly what would help get the P2 to market quickly.

If Pandora 2 were to make a relativley sudden appearance then 800 X 480 would probably be acceptable to most users, however the experience of getting Pandora 1 to market should give pause for thought for anyone who believes that Pandora 2 couldf be brought to market quickly.

Oh I think the P2 is being handled rather differently. All you clue finders already know what's going down... But I won't state it out loud - last time I did that, the thread seemed to dissapear. ;)

Just a thought to throw in regarding the discussion relating to screen resolution : IMHO the acceptable / desired resolution of the screen should largely be based around the projected release date of Pandora 2.

If Pandora 2 is not due until say 2014 then it would be utter folly to stick with an 800 X 480 screen as by that time, if present trends continue, even low budget smartphones will significantly exceed that resolution and thus user expectation would not be met for a relativley expensive device like the Pandora.

If Pandora 2 were to make a relativley sudden appearance then 800 X 480 would probably be acceptable to most users, however the experience of getting Pandora 1 to market should give pause for thought for anyone who believes that Pandora 2 couldf be brought to market quickly.

Good point. My comments are based on a hypothetical early 2014 release of a Pandora 2. I have no inside knowledge of Pandora 2 development.

with all these 5 inch plus screen phones and media players out there shouldnt be a difficulty finding such a screen size the p2. just talk to samsung and sharp about your display needs.

Oh I think the P2 is being handled rather differently. All you clue finders already know what's going down... But I won't state it out loud - last time I did that, the thread seemed to disappear. ;)

That should be 'will be handled differently'. You know that OpenPandora is capable of making other devices, don't you?

Honestly, I think the Pandora has enough pixel density. It's practically impossible to see individual pixels. Given that, how useful would a higher resolution actually be?

On the other hand, maybe a fake higher-res (e.g. 1200x720, 50% bigger) might be useful, i.e. on the software level it's the higher resolution, but it actually displays at 800x480. This can be experimented with the current Pandora too. Actually, you can get a pretty good idea of how useful it would be by resizing a screenshot. This is from Windows, but this is a resized version of a crop of a screenshot that was 1200x720:

http://img580.images...32/highresu.png

I looked at that on my Pandora, and it honestly looks quite nice. Everything is still readable, and it's incredibly difficult to notice that it's scaled. The only real problem is that the text is so small, but that would be present with the resolution being actually bigger as well.

(BTW, I did this in MS Paint. I just used the "Resize" option.)

Another thing it would be nice to know from the Core team is at what point do case modifications become expensive?

If the screen opening is going to stay at 41/3" then I see little point in changing it at all. If it can increase, I would go for 5" screen at whatever pixel density is available.

That should be 'will be handled differently'.
:D ^_^ :)

Yes of course... How could I make such an 'obvious' mistake!

You think Craig is lying? :unsure:

Oh, I wasn't thinking like that at all!

What did he say that you think I think he's lying?

In my reality no statement is absolutely true. There are degrees of truth to everything - just as there are degrees of awareness of truth.

But remember - I'm insane *because* I see and hear things that other people don't. I believe they're true, but I can't prove it.

In fact I don't believe I'm insane - just troubled... I wear the label just to give people peace of mind. ;) (because people that say they're crazy aren't).

Oh, I wasn't thinking like that at all!

What did he say that you think I think he's lying?
well, here goes:

Oh I think the P2 is being handled rather differently. All you clue finders already know what's going down... But I won't state it out loud - last time I did that, the thread seemed to disappear. ;)
That should be 'will be handled differently'. You know that OpenPandora is capable of making other devices, don't you?
:D ^_^ :)

Yes of course... How could I make such an 'obvious' mistake!
This suggests a degree of sarcasm (or similar) in reference to the idea that the P2 is not in development

This directly contradicts one of Craig's posts:

Before any P2 work starts though me and MWeston are working on another product.

^ Ah yes. That would seem to be a contradiction.

However, just to give an example... I have put a huge amount of 'energy' into creating a series of childrens books. But I haven't, as such, done any actual 'work' on them yet. ;)

But again, *I* would say these childrens books have been 'developing' quite nicely... though the 'evidence' of that would be hard for anyone to perceive except for people such as myself (of which I haven't met any).

EDIT: So Craig isn't lying.

It's just that truth is relative. AND - most importantly, let me remind you that I see and believe versions of reality that are filled with myriad truths (and lies) oscillating in actuality... I could probably find a better way of saying this... but I'm only linear when I'm forced to be and I only ever pretend to accept facts in the seeming linear reality in order to function and not make waves (or draw attention to myself).

Back