A Quick Blog Entry About Gp2x Performance..

supaimposter posted on Oct 5 2005 at 08:10 PM said:
You forgot 1 other handheld machine The Gizmondo, once firefly finishes the SDK this machine could do emulators realy well

400mhz and 128bit nvidia graphics card

Dont Underestemate it :)

The screen is too small :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
well just take out the giz pcb and toss it in a gp2x case and screen
ugliness & screen issue solved :D
anyway, has firefly finished the hack? last i read, not much was going about.

junker posted on Oct 5 2005 at 11:58 PM said:
well just take out the giz pcb and toss it in a gp2x case and screen
ugliness & screen issue solved :D
anyway, has firefly finished the hack? last i read, not much was going about.
nope, he's lost interest and now they want squidge to reveal some secrets to help them out.

They are basically up sh*t creek

I think u'll find the guy is still working on the SDK i also hav'nt seen anyone pleading with squidge because squidge swapped his giz ages ago coz he couldnt crack it :)
I have ordered a GP2X because i like the look of it but u cant dismis the Giz and i suggest some of you look up your facts coz at the moment Giz is doing well and with the advent of Sat Nav software they are selling like hot cakes at the moment.

supaimposter posted on Oct 6 2005 at 04:52 PM said:
I think u'll find the guy is still working on the SDK i also hav'nt seen anyone pleading with squidge because squidge swapped his giz ages ago coz he couldnt crack it :)
I have ordered a GP2X because i like the look of it but u cant dismis the Giz and i suggest some of you look up your facts coz at the moment Giz is doing well and with the advent of Sat Nav software they are selling like hot cakes at the moment.
the giz is doing terribly, in the uk alone, argos have already decided to pull gizmondo stock from 300 branches holding it for the largest stores only due to lack of demand.

you will people pleading with squidge if you check this out....

gizmondoo Yesterday, 10:34 PM Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 5750

Ok so does no-one no of any other methods?

squidge has helped a little, but the possibilities are still endless. Theres loads you could do with the service pack.

Anyone care to expand on it?

(Squidge btw could you take over the sdk, as FF has got a new job now, and is no longer interested in it? He will also take forever to complete now. Or at least give a big hint?)

the gizmondo will disapear without a whimper, just like the zodiac did before it.

Actually it will be faster and much worse than with the Zodiac... The Zodiac is still alive, after all. (Two new exclusive games announced after Tapwave gave up, two released, more homebrew than ever, PalmOS still going strong, ...)

So from a 2-D standpoint, how do the two 200mhz Arm9 procs with 2-D acceloration compare to the PSP 333mhz proc and its graphics chip? Realizing that the GP2X isn't out yet, people who have tinkered around with the PSP's graphics chip might be able to tell me if they think the two systems have a similar strength in 2-D or not? I'm purely curious, nothing more. I can't wait for my GP2x to ship....

Edit: wow, I didn't realize how long ago I created this account for this forum, member number 97 :lol:

In theory the gpx2 should be a stronger 2d system if both cores are fully usable. The ps has two 333mhz processors, but (correct me if i'm wrong here) as of yet reports say that the second chip might not be useable.

elinscheid posted on Oct 7 2005 at 03:26 AM said:
So from a 2-D standpoint, how do the two 200mhz Arm9 procs with 2-D acceloration compare to the PSP 333mhz proc and its graphics chip? Realizing that the GP2X isn't out yet, people who have tinkered around with the PSP's graphics chip might be able to tell me if they think the two systems have a similar strength in 2-D or not? I'm purely curious, nothing more. I can't wait for my GP2x to ship....

Edit: wow, I didn't realize how long ago I created this account for this forum, member number 97 :lol:
Wow. You were one of the first.
There is no second 333 Mhz chip. I think it was explained in the recent thread by Skeezix or maybe somewhere else...
Link?...

#97 sounds nice...nice number :lol:
anyway, yeah, the psp isn't exactly 2x333mhz. all the apps on the psp use the 333mhz cpu and the gpu for scaling and things like that.

howstuffworks.com said:
Here's a rundown of the PlayStation Portable's technical specifications:

* Widescreen, backlit 4.5-inch TFT LCD monitor with 16:9 aspect ratio and 480x272 resolution

* MIPS R4000-based 333-MHz CPU

* Graphics sub-system running at 166 MHz on a 512-bit bus with 2 MB of DRAM, rendering 664 million pixels per second and 35 million polygons per second

* Graphics engine supporting directional 16- or 32-bit color, lighting, clipping, environment projection and texture mapping, fogging, alpha blending, depth and stencil tests, vertex blending for morphing-style effects, and dithering
      (Source: Hot Chips conference at Stanford University)

* Media processor using another 2 MB of DRAM

* 3-D graphics processing using NURBS (Nonuniform Rational B-Splines) as well as conventional polygon rendering

* USB 2.0 port, Memory Stick port, Universal Media Disc slot, stereo headphone jack and WiFi wireless LAN port

* Built-in stereo speakers

* Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries

* Weight: 280 grams (9.9 ounces)

* Dimensions: 17 x 7.4 x 2.3 cm (6.7 x 2.9 x 0.9 inches)

There might be a little more in there but I dont see a second 333mhz chip in there, do you?

Maybe this is considered the second CPU?

* Media processor using another 2 MB of DRAM* ?

Personally I would have assumed the

* Graphics sub-system running at 166 MHz

to be the second processor, and the Media Processor to be for sound.

yeah, theres the main processor, the GU and other chips you can abuse as well. That sums it up well --

Main processor is 333.
GU can do about 5000fps pixel rendering, so it can blit 2d like a mother_ucker :)

As with most multi-chip systems the PSP is constrained on the bus .. shifting data between chips and RAMs is exepsive (ie: from RAM to VRAM, etc.), which can be trouble.

I don't recall the pixel push-rate of the gp2x.. I've not worried about it too much until I get the unit into my sweaty hands :)

jeff

skeezix posted on Oct 7 2005 at 08:41 PM said:
GU can do about 5000fps pixel rendering, so it can blit 2d like a mother_ucker :)

LOL, that cracked me up

Hanz™ posted on Oct 7 2005 at 04:51 PM said:
There is no second 333 Mhz chip. I think it was explained in the recent thread by Skeezix or maybe somewhere else...
Link?...
I just realized that I was talking about this thread... :eek:

Back