A Second Batcher has second thoughts...

TrevorBradley

Man, all the hype over sales has got me tempted, I have to admit.

I'm learning things now that I didn't hear beforehand that have got me thinking twice about pre-ordering, specifically that Manufacturing starts on Monday, right after pre-orders are complete. I've also gotten the impression that some of the MK0's sent out were fully assembled, whereas every video I've seen is of a Pandora devboard in pieces or a pre-render of an assembled Pandora.

I had been under the assumption that hardware development of the Pandora was still ongoing. Manufacture on Monday sounds as if development has been completed. This changes my opinion on pre-ordering somewhat.

I'm willing to accept that software and firmware development will continue over the next two months. And I'm willing to accept that the manufacturing process will be delayed somewhat (even possibly past Christmas). My concerns have always been about the product itself: Will I receive a piece of hardware that is half-complete, or has a physical defect in some way that's hard to determine until it's assembled: (Will it overheat? Will it crash? Are the analog pads easy to use? etc).

I think a youtube vid of someone playing some sort of game on an actual assembled Pandora, using the actual analog pads would put my mind at ease. I don't think I'm going to get this. It would be nice to see vids of some of the first Pandora's off the manufacture line (though I don't expect to see the real thing until Late November).

I lieu of this, I had no idea that the manufacture date was so close. Maybe I'm clueless, but I thought I'd been checking the forums closely and didn't see an indication things were nearing completion. Can someone update me on the status of the development? *Why* is it ready to go to manufacture right now?

Luckily, I guess I have a few more days to consider this... :)

HAhah, i know what you mean, im in the same ponder....

Its the price tag againest what everyone else around me thats making me not buy it, i WANT IT, and I NEED IT, but to tell my girlfriend that i spend £230 on a handheld just gives me the creeps!

But i also concerned about the defects and the general way MK0 are... I just hope we british can do what we do best!

What ever that means.

I don't mind spending the $370CDN if the product is as advertised. The sad part is it's probably a really awesome product, but I'm not seeing enough information disseminated about it to give me enough confidence to go in on the first batch.

Then I hear some information off hand, or mentioned after the pre-order that makes me think, "Wait, they're already that close to being finished? Why didn't they say so before?!?". Yes, a lot of that information is posted deep in the forum threads, but it's hard to get to unless you read EVERYTHING.

More information = more sales. I'd rather have that info even if it meant less time for rushed development and I ended up getting the device a week later. It doesn't even need to be youtube, but a 5 minute blog entry saying "what we've been up to this week" really would have set me at ease.

We're seeing a bit more of that now, I hope craig&co keep it up!

TrevorBradley said:
My concerns have always been about the product itself: Will I receive a piece of hardware that is half-complete, or has a physical defect in some way that's hard to determine until it's assembled.

Any faulty units would be replaced/repaired/refund, I can't say for sure which, as the threads about it are on the other forum. Either way it shouldn't be a concern.

As for the videos, I'm sure they will put some as soon as things calm down abit. If your still not sure just wait until the second batch :)

Lamb said:
As for the videos, I'm sure they will put some as soon as things calm down abit. If your still not sure just wait until the second batch :)

I'm not expecting a video at the moment... things are a little too crazy. Text is good enough for me right now.

I'll ask one quick question then: Does an assembled MK1 exist?

We will be showing you complete, working, playable, cased Pandora machines this month.

Previously it was just too expensive to prototype ALL the parts, instead we put the money towards perfecting the PCB and having things like the custom analogue nubs made.

It might seem crazy, but those nubs alone cost $30,000 in R&D - they HAD to be done first.

It all seems a bit backwards but we knew this way it would succeed - too many start ups go bust doing it the other way around - ie flashy promo videos with $20,000 prototype units, expensive flash based websites, huge HQ and cars etc.

We have no debts and everything is going very smooth and under control (well, apart from getting WAY more orders than expected in the first 6 hours!)

-Craig

craigix said:
We have no debts and everything is going very smooth and under control (well, apart from getting WAY more orders than expected in the first 6 hours!)

-Craig

OK, **THAT** is one of the best things I've heard about the project in the last month. These projects can easily get out of control financially. You guys are doing a good job keeping on top of it, and this is the right attitude for handling any future crises that might come up during manufacturing.

Alright guys, you've convinced me. I'm going to be good and sleep on it, but at the moment I'll put my pre-order in before Sunday (and thanks again for giving us the opportunity to do that!)

neogramps said:
(well, apart from getting WAY more orders than expected in the first 6 hours!)

how does it feel when your baby does so well? Good motivation in the coming months I should think, all the geeks are behind you!

+1 to that :D

TrevorBradley said:
craigix said:

-Craig

OK, **THAT** is one of the best things I've heard about the project in the last month. These projects can easily get out of control financially. You guys are doing a good job keeping on top of it, and this is the right attitude for handling any future crises that might come up during manufacturing.

Alright guys, you've convinced me. I'm going to be good and sleep on it, but at the moment I'll put my pre-order in before Sunday (and thanks again for giving us the opportunity to do that!)

Same goes to me to what TrevorBradley said.

It was strange, we really didn't know what would happen. But when someone found and posted the link to the sales page before the newsletter went out and the forum started to grind to a halt and I was unable to FTP in to the server we suspected it was going to go crazy, and it did.

I managed to get a post on there with the URLs but there had already been about 100 orders at that point (within 60-120 seconds).

I got a pizza to celebrate - then was unable to enjoy it due to nerves and trying to get everything working on the site again.

But it is great to know people understood what we were trying to do with the Pandora design and idea - and believed in it enough to put their money down.

We are looking forward to showing you more videos of what is happening soon - the first one will probably be the very first MK2 (production) PCBs.

craigix said:

I wish you will only have this problem with the next batch! :p

craigix said:
It was strange, we really didn't know what would happen. But when someone found and posted the link to the sales page before the newsletter went out and the forum started to grind to a halt and I was unable to FTP in to the server we suspected it was going to go crazy, and it did.

Point of note: Next time have a pre-order window rather than a fixed number of units. :)

Craig, I hope your endeavour is highly successful and you'll soon have an opportunity to sit down and actually enjoy that pizza. ;)

TrevorBradley said:
And I'm willing to accept that the manufacturing process will be delayed somewhat (even possibly past Christmas).

Where did you get that info from (I noticed you use "will be delayed" instead of "may be delayed")? What's the official word on production schedule, QA, etc.?

Given it's all open, I absolutely don't mind getting a Pandora that is missing a driver or 2, since I'll be able to download and install them later. But I really really hope I can get the pandora box itself before Christmas.

Anxious Tim.

I've been into the GP32 scene, and subsequently into the Gp2x scene for a couple years now, and I can say that based on the developers involved in this project, that I know enough to know that the Pandora is going to deliver, and any little bumps along the way will quickly get dealt with. There is so much dedication to the success of this device. Plus, the prototype videos are very impressive as well. If you can get full speed PS1 emulation, especially this early in development, then this thing is going to kick some serious ass, and very quickly at that.

I say if you're not sure about the hardware, just get the device anyway based on the people behind it.

I have been following this thing from the start. I'm so glad that it has taken off.

Craig, you and the guys have created something really amazing and I'm really glad that I can say I'll be getting one of the first (of many to come I'm sure).

How down to earth can you get - Craig celebrates with pizza after (partly)being repsonsible for a huge open source success :p

To any and all newcomers to Pandora,

Please keep in mind there's a reason why this project has such a following already. The developers of the Pandora have been around for many years and part of the independent handheld dev scene (i.e. GP32, GP2X, Zodiac etc.). These guys are not just a bunch of fast talking businessmen looking to throw together a fast buck. They're hobbysists themselves, and that makes all the difference in the world.

This is really an historic project, and if the first shipment is successful (i.e. no major factory foul-ups etc.) think we'll all be part of something really amazing and significant for the hobby Pandora addresses.

Here here :D

I suppose the saying "If you want something doing properly, do it yourself" rings true..... :wink:

timothee said:
TrevorBradley said:
And I'm willing to accept that the manufacturing process will be delayed somewhat (even possibly past Christmas).

Where did you get that info from (I noticed you use "will be delayed" instead of "may be delayed")? What's the official word on production schedule, QA, etc.?

Whoops! You're absolutely right. I meant "might" or "could be" and definitely not "will". Brutal typo there.

And I don't actually expect massive post-Christmas delays. I still believe that the probability of making the Nov manufacture date is not 100%. (I'd guess about 75%). Craig will impress me if he makes that date. But I also don't hold Craig at fault if the date slips. This is a engineering project of great magnitude. Take the time to get it right *if* you need to.

Prophet said:
This is really an historic project, and if the first shipment is successful (i.e. no major factory foul-ups etc.) think we'll all be part of something really amazing and significant for the hobby Pandora addresses.

Personally, I'm proud to be a small part of this project, now when it's still starting to deploy its wings. p&|a I know many of us have goosebumps while watching this amazing project just how it flows and evolves in front of our eyes. And I feel almost like if I have the priviledge of living the beginning of some golden-era, yet for uncover the best part of the story. All spiced with a bit of romanticism and homesickness of a place I've never been, because I was too young to be part of the Amiga, and part of the Spectrum world, but fortunately not the Pandora. ;) And I think I don't risk too much if I say that I'm not the only one who has fell in love with this little lady, even before actually seen her or hold her. :oops: The feeling of being part of something so exciting and so touching is just too much.

thankyou

Back