A small insight into my Mega Man collection (because some folks asked :P)

Hi Prometheus,

I'd like to ask, if you could pick 8 robot masters to make the ultimate megaman game which would they be(no need to consider weapon weaknesses)?

My personal choices would be.

Solar Man

Quick Man

Snake Man

Jewel Man

Cold Man

Heat Man

Slash Man

Skull Man.

Thanks.
I actually picked a set last year, believe it or not (it was a fun exercise :p ). I did consider one thing instead of weapon weaknesses, though: How to make them the best team to beat an opponent, so as to guarantee some success for Dr. Wily, since I figured it would be more challenging that way. :lol: They are as follows;

Wave Man (Mega Man 5)

Wave Man ("Mega Man 3" for MS-DOS)

Shade Man (Mega Man 7)

Clown Man (Mega Man 8)

Burner Man (Mega Man & Bass)

Napalm Man (Mega Man 5)

Dynamo Man (Mega Man & Bass)

Snake Man (Mega Man 3)

The two Wave Mans are present to confuse Mega Man - he won't know which one he's going after until he faces him, and this has a 50/50 chance of causing him to rely on the wrong weapon and get into trouble as a result.

Shade Man was chosen because he can put up a good fight, and being a vampire-type robot, is able to recover his energy by biting his opponents and draining it from them.

Clown Man's ability to use electricity-based attacks is useful, as are his versatile arms. If he can output a high enough voltage, he can easily stun a robotic or human opponent, and can do so from a distance with his stretchy arms.

Burner Man can move like a high-speed lunatic, and is highly destructive. He has been chosen on the basis of this, as this lends itself to wearing down an opponent's energy quite easily if they aren't careful.

Similarly, Napalm Man is highly destructive. He's also ruthless, and has a talent for cornering foes and never letting up on his attacks.

When near to a place where he can recharge his energy, Dynamo Man can regain his power very quickly indeed, and as a result he is capable of weakening and overwhelming even a strong opponent with relative ease. (Translation: He's a massive pain in the backside, and would be the boss that everybody wants to leave until last. :p )

Last of all, Snake Man's Search Snake weapon makes him an ideal candidate as a watchman, in addition to being a battle robot.

Why did you pick yours, out of curiousity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tbh my picks are purely based on a mixture of my favourite stages and a couple of stages I find challenging (heat man and quick man). Solar man from 10 is picked solely on the basis that I think he has one of the most inventive powers to appear during the 8 bit revival.

Now I have a question for you, speaking of Mega Man 10.

What's your view on Pump Man? He gets a lot of criticism, which I personally think is unfounded. :p

His stage was very good, imo, but I think his weapon was a bit crap. Using the water shield made Solar Man too easy. it also made the second part of the Wily ship too easy. The only criticism I would have is that his weapon should have had less projectiles, 8(I think it was anyway) was far too many. My least favourite boss would be Oil Man(Megaman: Powered Up version). I thought that weapon was incredibly broken, not like metal man broken, like unplayable bug broken.

My take is a bit different - I liked how his weapon had a lot of projectiles (and how, when he's using it, you *can* shoot the individual pieces out, which is fairly unique amongst the "barrier" type weapons), and how it could be a handy defense in a pinch.

Moreover, I think he's quite possibly one of the scariest Robot Masters ever. He doesn't look it, sure, but people don't seem to think about what he's supposed to be doing; He's meant to be cleaning all of that filthy water in that stage, so that it isn't pumped out to people's homes. That's frightening. :lol:

Bloody he'll that is some list of gear, and the thing is I bet your entire collection dwarfs that - fair to say that you are knowledgable in things megaman

what's that about kid ikarus in your animation cells, I don't know the megaman animations or ever seen an ep, but love the NES game of kid ikarus. Is there some link between them then, or just made one for the film/series?

I vote for the [very] widescreen shot of just a heap of megaman stuff in the corner of your room haha, though I'm sure it's all to precious to treat in such a way so perhaps a more methodically laid out shot. The figures/models are best, that big megaman leaning on the pandora is good

Wow, just wow.

I have to admit, the whole MegaMan universe is completely unknown to me (I'm not a fan of platformers). But you sure give me the strong desire to look into that.

Wow, just wow.

I have to admit, the whole MegaMan universe is completely unknown to me (I'm not a fan of platformers). But you sure give me the strong desire to look into that.
its a nice "little" series, very well designed where you have to use other enemies weapons to beat other enemies, so if you do try it out, dont beat yourself up on one boss for hours, move on to the next one is all i can say, and as far as you go Prometheus....more pics or gtfo!@

Bloody he'll that is some list of gear, and the thing is I bet your entire collection dwarfs that - fair to say that you are knowledgable in things megaman
It dwarfs it by far. :lol: And, thankyou. :)

what's that about kid ikarus in your animation cells, I don't know the megaman animations or ever seen an ep, but love the NES game of kid ikarus. Is there some link between them then, or just made one for the film/series?
In Captain N: The Game Master, they licensed several third-party characters to appear alongside Nintendo's own - that's really the only link.

Both Pit and Mega Man were part of the "N-Team", who sought to defeat the villain-team led by Mother Brain (which consisted of Mother Brain from Metroid, Dr. Wily from Mega Man, King Hippo from Punch-Out!!, and the Eggplant Wizard from Kid Icarus), and stop them from taking over the alternate dimension of "VideoLand".

I vote for the [very] widescreen shot of just a heap of megaman stuff in the corner of your room haha, though I'm sure it's all to precious to treat in such a way so perhaps a more methodically laid out shot. The figures/models are best, that big megaman leaning on the pandora is good
Alas, it's not possible... But I have taken some more photographs of some other stuff!
grin.gif

Zero_Pouch.png

A pouch from Japan, featuring Zero as he appears in the Mega Man Zero series. Back when I ordered my original Nintendo DS (which came from Canada) from GBAX back in 2004, this is where it lived for a while.

X6_and_Zero_Bags.png

Two drawstring bags, one featuring Mega Man X6 artwork, and the other featuring Mega Man Zero artwork. These, and the above pouch, are interesting, in that their designs are not printed on them - they're dyed right into the fabric!

Zero_Bandana.png

A bandana featuring Zero in his Mega Man Zero series style. This is really, really big, so I didn't have room to fold it out fully for the photograph.

Servbot_Keychain.png

A little Servbot keychain, from the "All Capcom VS All SNK" set. Pardon the fuzziness of this picture - I recently had to replace my camera, I'm still not used to my new one, and it absolutely point-blank refused to focus on him properly. This was the best shot I was able to get.

Pencils.png

Two pencils made to promote Rockman 7 in Japan, with neat little chibified figures on the tops.

Fan-made_Patches.png

Three fan-made patches, all from the same guy. I still haven't decided what to put them on...

Fan-made_Badges.png

A set of fan-made badges, featuring a bunch of different characters from both the original series and the X series.

8-bit_Wrist-strap.png

A Capcom wrist-strap featuring a little screen-cleaner with a NES Mega Man sprite. It's from this DSi accessory set (also available for the DS Lite).

8-bit_Close-up.png

A close-up of the 8-Bit Mega Man screen-cleaner from the above wrist-strap.

Continued in next post, due to hitting the picture limit...

I got ninja'd, so I'll respond to some quotes first. :p

Wow, just wow.

If you find it to be interesting, then I hope you like it if you check it out. :)

and as far as you go Prometheus....more pics or gtfo!@
Geez, give me some time, man. ;) You and - Theo - both ninja'd me while I've been posting them! These enough for you, yet? :p

Now, on with the previous post...

X_Custom_Plush.png

A custom-made plush of Mega Man X. I can't work in the "chibi" sort of style at all (I'm too much of a perfectionist, and find it difficult to drop details, which is necessary when chibifying something), so I commissioned him from someone else late last year, and he arrived earlier this month. I particularly love how he has an actual gem on his helmet - I think it's a great touch. :p

Dreamwave_Pockets_-_Mega_Man.png

This is the ridiculously rare Dreamwave Pockets: Mega Man Vol. 1 (although as you will shortly learn, there could never possibly have been any more volumes, so it was pointless to write that it was volume one on the cover!), and yet I was lucky enough to get it for ridiculously cheap long after it was out of print. There is a bit of a story behind this one;

In 2003, a Canadian company known as Dreamwave Comics got the license to produce a Mega Man comic based on the original series. As you all know, there's a LOT of fun stuff in the original Mega Man series that one could draw on for a comic series (such as, for example, all of the neat bosses and places, conflicts between humans and robots, or Dr. Wily's tenacity and how on Earth he takes care of a huge family of robots for some comedic moments), but for some reason Dreamwave went with having Dr. Light pretend that Mega Man is a real kid, and send him to school under the name of "Rocky", even though in the games his real name is Rock. (The choice to use "Rocky" was a teeny bit contentious among fans at the time.)

It was a bit weak, and at the time us fans of the original series were seriously annoyed when, prior to issue three's release, it was announced that they would be ending it and replacing it with a Mega Man X series instead - it felt like a lot of potential had been wasted, and, since Mega Man 9 was four years away by that point (although to some without faith in it, it was a "never going to happen" proposition, back then), it felt like we were back to being ignored again. Ultimately, though, what had really happened was that Dreamwave were going out of business. The Mega Man comic series was hastily ended in issue four (which also had a different, and in my view not as good, artist), and a one-shot to promote the Mega Man X series that would never be was also included in that issue (also by the new artist).

They had actually stopped shipping the comics to the UK after issue two, so it wasn't until I got the above book just last year that I was able to read issues three and four, and the Mega Man X one-shot. At least I was finally able to see how it ended (which unfortunately was weakly). :lol:

Dreamwave Pockets: Mega Man Vol. 1 was actually shipped *right* as Dreamwave went out of business, and for quite a while it wasn't obvious whether or not any copies had actually ever made it to retail. I would later learn that a limited number did (I don't know how many though - I just know a couple of folks who were able to get hold of a copy closer to the time), and that an even more limited number made it to the UK (I have the only one I've ever seen in the UK, in fact - I guess the rest are all in other people's collections, or the shop I got it from imported it).

Mega_Man_Megamix_Volumes_1_to_3.png

All three volumes of the English version of Mega Man Megamix, by Hitoshi Ariga. These are famed for their unique take on the original series, and in particular for the epic stories in volume three. They are still in print at this time, and I highly recommend all of them.

The Megamix series, and its currently-in-translation follow-up, the Gigamix series, are great examples of how to do a "non-canon" adaptation of a game series, whilst still remaining pretty true to its roots.

Rockman__Forte_Volumes_1_and_2.png

Both volumes of Rockman & Forte, by Koji Izuki. Japanese edition. I really love these, although I know of no plans at this time to translate them for the Western market.

A one-shot story focussing on Forte (Bass) is featured at the end of volume two, and features the only officially-licensed image of him to date which shows him without his helmet on.

Mega_Man_Official_Complete_Works.png

Mega Man Official Complete Works. This art-book is absolutely invaluable to me when I'm making stuff based on Mega Man characters. It features interesting, never-before-seen gems like the design sketches for Baroque and Crush - the characters who would have been Mega Man's rival and robo-dog Rush's rival, had Hayato Kaji not designed Bass and Treble - and the gallery of front, back, and side reference images (complete with CMYK info) of most of the characters (sadly this only covers the games prior to Mega Man 7, which is my only gripe with the book at all), which are used by licensees producing merchandise based on the games.

It also features interesting bits of information, such as how the godawful third-party-made Mega Man: The Wily Wars (for the Mega Drive/Genesis) was an even buggier mess during production than the buggy mess that was sent to retail is (I highly recommend avoiding this game - it is buggy and very badly broken, and plays dreadfully as a result), and how Mega Man 7 was done on the tightest time constraints of any of the rest of the games in the series, in just three months (with some bonus features being added in only two days).

Is that enough new photos for you guys? :lol:

unless you surgically inserted some megaman stuff into your bloodstream(which i wouldnt be surprised), i want it all! btw i never knew megaman had that red hole on the bottom of his foot....first time ive seen the bottom of his foot!

unless you surgically inserted some megaman stuff into your bloodstream(which i wouldnt be surprised)
Actually, you know how they made and sold "E-Tank" canned drinks in Japan, to commemorate Mega Man 9's release? I had one of those (and of course, kept the can after I drank it), so technically something Mega Man-related has been in my system. :lol:

btw i never knew megaman had that red hole on the bottom of his foot....first time ive seen the bottom of his foot!
It's a jet that creates a cushion of air to ease landing from jumps. Almost all combat robots (and absolutely all of the human-like ones) in the series have that. Some can take advantage of the air-cushion to "double-jump", making it probably the only video game series that can offer up a legitimate explanation for that particular video game phenomenon. :p

^ They did a re-issue of them, and made an edition specifically for the US market, which sadly lacks the E-Tank design - they just have a NES Mega Man sprite on the can, and to my knowledge are a different flavour. (The initial edition was royal jelly flavoured.)

And no, Luigi's technique won't work! You need boot-jets for that. (You also need boot-jets if you want to do that neat dash thing where you speed along the ground for a couple of seconds, too. :p )

In combination with DaMummy's long-running prompts, it was a post by FZERO about that very mug that prompted this thread, believe it or not. :p I wanted to pre-order one in December but couldn't, and now the wait will go on until March.

ThinkGeek's knock-off mug (which reportedly was put up for sale after the Fangamer mug exploded in popularity) is nowhere near as good.

Back