A/v Cables Have Arrived!

hmm, then i believe it would be extremely sensitive to humid conditions as well??

RoHS makes the solder more low quality, then plus humid and sensitive equals

nowadays discardable electronics. missing ol days things wouldtn get broken until u break it apart

BackAssward said:
greendots said:
The pandora cost over $300 if you treat it that way you should be fine...
My laptop is over $3,000...that doesn't mean someone won't trip near me and splash it. How I treat my product has nothing to do with what can happen to it. An informed consumer is a happy consumer; I haven't implied anything, just asked a straight forward question on product stresses.

Regardless, it is a fair question to ask. I hope you aren't suggesting that we shouldn't ask these things?

Absolutely not, the more questions the better. I don't see the point of epoxying it- If its on and any water was to get inside its defiantly dead, if its off and water gets inside its probably dead. It seems like the pandora will always be on, at least in suspend.

It doesnt seem worth increasing the already extreme delays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kloplop321 said:
really good point to consider!
I wonder if epoxy could shield it..
DroneB Dev said:
hmm, then i believe it would be extremely sensitive to humid conditions as well??
Let'snot get ahead of ourselves. I just asked a question. Unless MWestonsays different, I don't want this to go down as an actual concern. Toomany people get jumpy on these forums.

greendots said:
...Idon't see the point of epoxying it- If its on and any water was to getinside its defiantly dead, if its off and water gets inside itsprobably dead. It seems like the pandora will always be on, at least insuspend.

It doesnt seem worth increasing the already extreme delays.
Fair enough. I certainly wasn't suggesting delays or even the epoxy. I was just asking what the tolerances were. I certainly cannot control if others take a question, and turn it into a concern.

As for "If its on and any water was to get inside its defiantly dead",that's why I was asking. I have many electronics that survive water getting inside, once they dry out. That is why it is worth asking.

DroneB Dev said:
water is not a conductor

the iphone should be just as sensitive, and people drop them in pools and their fine

WhiteBat said:
DroneB Dev said:
water is not a conductor

the iphone should be just as sensitive, and people drop them in pools and their fine

humidity usually does, as rain also depends of its contents! with all the dust n deposits that may get with over the time on the PCB.

and it also depends of the voltage (i know we are just using 5V but a pump up ciruit might get everything toasted.)

just hope the Heat Itself of the inner set keeps it dry.

and about electronics in a dive, the first rule is Take the Batt out and you will save most of it.

got a laptop that fell onto a pool and fixed it (it only burnt a lil IC on the charging Phase.)

Just don't drop it in water, I say. It's pretty much the same with all electronics. I don't think we should be worried at all about those exposed elements as long as we're not touching them. Otherwise it should be perfectly fine unless it proves to be a design flaw or safety issue (in which case I'm sure Pandora mk2 will be slightly different).

BackAssward said:
MWeston said:
"Do not touch when live"

It's the feedback loop for the 5V supply and the capacitance from your body is enough to throw it out of whack and even destroy the chip. It's ridiculously sensitive but it runs fine if you leave it alone.
What would happen if a liquid got in there, say a splash of water or a Coke? It's right next to the seam and two case openings. Or is this just a problem with the "capacitance" of our bodies and not an issue with a conductive material getting on it?

Though, I guess that wouldn't help any parts of the inside, except that many electronics are fine once dried out, this sounds like a splash could fry the board, if liquids are indeed an issue.

its very likely to go pfffftzap!

pure water (not tap water, but real pure H2O) would be fine, light tap water or rain might be survivable if you're lucky, just about anything else is very likely to mess it up and fry the whole thing if it ever get into contact with the regulator circuit.

what causes the problem is that touching both contacts of the capacitor shorts it out to a varying degree and touching just one side change its capacitance ("strength" or effectiveness).

a conductive liquid will do the same.

non-conductive epoxy would work in theory but only if it was thick enough, if its too thin you finger will still mess up the capacitance.
a capacitor is 2 conductors in relatively close proximity separated by an isolator, a thin film of epoxy might still create a capacitor out of your finger and the circuit.
and then good luck fixing it if the circuit fails for some reason and its covered in epoxy.

Look everyone. I only wanted more info. I tried to tell the knee-jerk team that this was just a question on tolerances. I tried to stop the speculations from taking over, but people seem to want to do that anyway. And yes 'Stephane Hockenhull', I know how a capacitor is built/works.

Can we all please stop the speculation on a simple question? Please read other posts before making rash comments. Until MWeston says anything, this is a tremendous overreaction (on both sides).

I have to wonder why a reasonable question causes so much nervous anxiety (I didn't make a prediction or an insinuation)? Can't you wait for an answer before having worries?

You are all making me want to avoid posting questions/thoughts at all. I can't ask a simple question without people making a mountain out of a mole hill?

The vehement supporters are just as bad as the wild speculators of issues.

Gah, I need a drink.

BackAssward said:
What would happen if a liquid got in there, say a splash of water or a Coke? It's right next to the seam and two case openings. Or is this just a problem with the "capacitance" of our bodies and not an issue with a conductive material getting on it?

Though, I guess that wouldn't help any parts of the inside, except that many electronics are fine once dried out, this sounds like a splash could fry the board, if liquids are indeed an issue.
Liquids or conductive material can short something out or cause a failure on any electronics. There's nothing unique here. There's nothing more or less risky about Pandora. It's just a piece of electronics like anything else. Many circuits are sensitive in most devices out there. No one sticks a label on them because they don't expect untrained individuals to be digging around inside. Since I know some people are going to be in there (at their own risk), I put a warning. That's it.

XD, thats why i dont usually open up threads because everyone starts badgering at everyone.

from what i see the point of the thread (on the image) is what it said.

then it says "do not touch when live" with an explanation

so theres goes a neew question is it gonna be too sensitive to spillings or to the touch?

there so if it is then can it get a blob of epoxy going to make it less sensitive?

and then MWeston responds at the previous post.

and now im trying to say this. and try to ask and confirm what kind of sensitivity would it be.

if it is phisical pin 2 pin shorting, or C/R/L factor variation, OR EM affecting the Package itself

why everything has to be so hard to ask?.

DroneB Dev said:
XD, thats why i dont usually open up threads because everyone starts badgering at everyone.

so theres goes a neew question is it gonna be too sensitive to spillings or to the touch?

there so if it is then can it get a blob of epoxy going to make it less sensitive?

and now im trying to say this. and try to ask and confirm what kind of sensitivity would it be.

if it is phisical pin 2 pin shorting, or C/R/L factor variation, OR EM affecting the Package itself

He already answered in this thread:

MWeston said:
"Do not touch when live"

It's the feedback loop for the 5V supply and the capacitance from your body is enough to throw it out of whack and even destroy the chip. It's ridiculously sensitive but it runs fine if you leave it alone.

Basically, keep your fingers or any other body part away from it because of Body Capacitance.

DroneB Dev said:

W_h_y__e_v_e_r_y__l_i_n_e__d_o_u_b_l_e__s_p_a_c_e_d ?

Nation.A.List said:
DroneB Dev said:

W h y e v e r y l i n e d o u b l e s p a c e d ?
In some languages, you don't use commas and periods to space out your text, but instead structure it so that pauses naturally fall in at the right places because your eyes have to move.

I seriously doubt that DroneB Dev speaks such a language, however, because his sentences use the typical German/Latin sentence structure and "open up threads" makes me suspect that he indeed speaks German.

And I, too, demand some kind of isolating material for that sensitive spot on the Pandora; it's ridiculous that a rogue rain drop has the potential of hosing the whole board/chipset. If no protection is added, I will add some myself by applying silicon or something...

dflemstr said:
And I, too, demand some kind of isolating material for that sensitive spot on the Pandora; it's ridiculous that a rogue rain drop has the potential of hosing the whole board/chipset. If no protection is added, I will add some myself by applying silicon or something...
Would hot-melt glue do the trick?

DroneB Dev said:

As I understand it, it's a feedback loop that regulates the current to keep the voltage at 5V. If it's less than 5V then it increases the current output, and if it's more than 5V then it reduces the current flow. So if you short-circuit it, it will detect low voltage and increase the current as high as it will go. I assume there will be a cutoff at some point (probably a few hundred mA). I don't know how much damage it would do, but theoretically some parts of the device could get significantly above 5V if the current was high enough.

Nation.A.List said:
dflemstr said:
Would hot-melt glue do the trick?
Yeah, for sure. Unless you happen to use hot glue mixed with gold-plated conducting copper...

you would have to check the type of hot glue.

since some of then are capable to retain charges.

Did everyone miss this? MWeston said basically it's nothing to worry about:

MWeston said:
Liquids or conductive material can short something out or cause a failure on any electronics. There's nothing unique here. There's nothing more or less risky about Pandora. It's just a piece of electronics like anything else. Many circuits are sensitive in most devices out there. No one sticks a label on them because they don't expect untrained individuals to be digging around inside. Since I know some people are going to be in there (at their own risk), I put a warning. That's it.

I'd imagine most modders aren't intending to fiddle with the board while it's live anyway.

dflemstr said:
Nation.A.List said:
DroneB Dev said:

W h y e v e r y l i n e d o u b l e s p a c e d ?
In some languages, you don't use commas and periods to space out your text, but instead structure it so that pauses naturally fall in at the right places because your eyes have to move.

I seriously doubt that DroneB Dev speaks such a language, however, because his sentences use the typical German/Latin sentence structure and "open up threads" makes me suspect that he indeed speaks German.

Out of the thread:
XD, it always get funny when pp try to get my mother language. and thats a hard thing to guess because i dont have a single mother language but a 3 set (Spanish English and Chinese(Mandarin)) and the funny thing is that im accustomed to several dialects of each one (thats why i work as a neutral Eng/Esp translator)

but what caused all this fuzz was the double line return,(i wasnt trying to write a poem)but it seems that was caused by my PPC IE navigator (by some weird issue on the editor).

Back to the topic:
i perfectly undestood what MWeston tried to say but as he stated "i put a warning", and doesnt mean not to worry at all.

i dont expect that the OP team make any mayor changes at these heights, but the shielding/covering of the sensitive piece is an option some people might be interested to apply.

I'd imagine most modders aren't intending to fiddle with the board while it's live anyway.
@Aninhumer
most of the hackers/modders will certainly not, but they usually wont put it right back on its case before checking the hack/mod. so "shit happens" and no ones to blame for, and thats why PC power supply is also snucked up in a Box with all the yellow danger and hazard tags but i wouldnt expect the power to be shielded on portable devices since weight and sice is always a concern matter.

on the end we will see if we start getting burnt loop circuits posts or details pp will start modding the boards for safety. (until the after batches gets the mod as an standard patch)

lol i literally can't believe some of the responses in this thread. The pandora pcb is NO different than your average laptop.
Laptops even have the same sensitive circuit and i don't see people freaking out about it.
Do any of you guys use you laptop in a downpour? Do you buy a laptop, open it up and smother the pcb in epoxy?
You guys are acting like if the Pandora doesn't get it's morning coffee, it's gunna BSOD

Back