New Pics From Mweston

I am pretty sure amperage DOES exist, as in

Amps x Resistance = Voltage
Voltage / Resistance = Amps
Voltage / Amps = Resistance

also called Ohms law, pretty odd if it wasn't the case, who would have thought electrical formulae used none existent units to give valid results :p

also known as the VAR or VIR triangle, cos if you write the letters in a triangle (ie V over A and R) then you have a convenient mnemonic that gives you the three basic equations, just remove the value you want from the equation and the position of the remaining characters gives you the formulae you want to calculate it, ie

remove V (volts) and you have Amps and Resistance side by side, so just multiply the two and you know the Voltage
remove R (resistance) and you have the Voltage over the Amperage, so dividing Volts by the Amperage gives you the resistance etc

end of today's basic electrical theory class :p

Its not like they're short on money either lol. It'd probably be just for a day or then whatever it takes to finish the batch then he can take them back to the UK :)

hobbyman II said:
I am pretty sure amperage DOES exist, as in

Amps x Resistance = Voltage
Voltage / Resistance = Amps
Voltage / Amps = Resistance

also called Ohms law, pretty odd if it wasn't the case, who would have thought electrical formulae used none existent units to give valid results :p

also known as the VAR or VIR triangle, cos if you write the letters in a triangle (ie V over A and R) then you have a convenient mnemonic that gives you the three basic equations, just remove the value you want from the equation and the position of the remaining characters gives you the formulae you want to calculate it, ie

remove V (volts) and you have Amps and Resistance side by side, so just multiply the two and you know the Voltage
remove R (resistance) and you have the Voltage over the Amperage, so dividing Volts by the Amperage gives you the resistance etc

end of today's basic electrical theory class :p

Why don't you call resistance "Ohmage" then? :)

amperage = current measured in amperes
voltage = potential difference measured in volts

It's not wrong to use these nicknames based on the unit (do you call length "metrage" or "footage" :p). Just looks funny :)

Last edited by a moderator:
oh for crying out loud!, are you professionally dim or something?, an objects resistance IS called Ohmage take a look

My link

My link

My link

I realise the rest of the electrical engineering community have probably got it wrong and you are right, but that's how things work, if the rest of the world thinks eating baby's is wrong, then you just have to go along with em and humour em.

:p

hobbyman II said:
oh for crying out loud!, are you professionally dim or something?, an objects resistance IS called Ohmage take a look

Ok, ok! Sorry! It just sounded as funny as the later mentioned metrage and footage (or grammage for that matter :) ). I'm not used to making quantity names from unit names. No need for outbursts like that. Jeez!

EDIT: Oh, and I didn't actually imply that some people wouldn't call it ohmage. It was about consistency. As I stated afterwards, I have nothing against people using these, they're just funny names :)

Can't we get a simple clarification if the new cases are accepted or not? This might end some of this useless bickering...

My opinion on that matter:

1.) If silk screening takes anotehr 2 weeks or even more then dump it
2.) How hard is it to remove part of teh silk screening? I think I do not want anything on the back of my unit

VRAndy said:
Bah. God Ginrai beat me too it.

I can't wait until Rekcitok comes back to tell us that "Real profesionals" don't ever use the term "amperage". That'll help pass the time until Pandora arrives.

(Incidentally, my favorite silly claim of this sort is "Professionals never say 'airplane' they say 'aircraft'!", which is also completely false.)

Professional what?
Thread coming offtopic innit FML

LOL, wow, I didn't expect everyone to jump in on that topic.

But seriously, if it isn't too big a pain in the ass, then why not put it on there? Were talking what, a maximum of 4 characters? 0.5 A?

Now if it will involve scraping a silkscreen costing thousands of dollars, forget I even said anything.

But yeah, to the guy who said Amperage doesn't exist, I've worked in a legit electronics shop for about 6 years, I ate, slept, and drank Ohms law for quite a while.... I even know how to calculate VA's if it were applicable.... trust me, it exists.

*edits*
Corrected grammar, forgot to capitalize Mr. Ohms's name.

The ampere (symbol: A) is the SI unit of electric current!

Basically ampere measures a flow of electricity. Volt measures the power/force of electricity. Watts are a measurement of energy. Volt * Amp = Watts

BTW, batteries etc are measured in mAh, that's how many how many hours it can output 1/1000 amps. Batteries also have a specified voltage so you can calculate the amount of energy (watts) stored if you like.

urjaman said:
Bigun said:
"2 A"
That's a lot of amps. If I recall correctly, the Pandora is supposed to max out at 2 watts (though I'm probably forgetting something). With a 5 volt charger, that's only 0.4 A. 0.5 A will be enough to run the thing and slowly charge the battery. It's not ideal for charging the battery, but it will work.

Pandora has a cell (there's only one iirc) of just over 4000mah, LiPo's normaly charge at 1C (charge rate as a function of capacity) and stand at about 3.7v, so in theory you should be able to charge it at 4A, max discharge rate for most LiPo's is in the 18 to 35C range, so if you short it out with the change in your pocket you get (18*4)=64A to (35*4)=140A for 3.8 to 1.7 minutes, actually, at that rate it would combust, LiPo's are an oxidiser fire when they go, so look after it ;) , besides, you don't want a 250W/518W arc in your pocket right next too the family jewels followed by an unquenchable rocket fuel type ignition :( :eek:

all this said, the actual "battery" and the Pandora have protection circuits in them, so it's prolly not possible to charge it at that rate, and it will almost certainly be impossible to get it to ignite (unless you drive a nail through it or something equally gross), at a guess it will charge at 2A or there about's since they where talking about using a Sony charger with it and they do 2.5A iirc, the USB port can charge the Pandora too, but USB can only manage 500mah (0.5A) iirc , so charge would be a lot slower from USB

edit due to me endowing Pandora with 40Ah battery due to inadvertent extra 0 (other figures where based on 4Ah and unaffected)

hobbyman II said:
Pandora has a cell (there's only one iirc) of just over 40000mah, which is the size of a brick and will not fit in your pocket. It will take approximately 20 hours to charge using the PSP adaptor ( only 2 hours with optional Pandora Nuclear Charge Station.) Use extreme caution as if you drop or puncture it it will cause an explosion that will decimate a city block.
(18*4)=64A to (35*4)=1.21 gigawatts

Fixed :D

I think the only place that needs to be printed on is below each light to symbolise what it's for. Everywhere else is completely unnecessary and in my opinion cheapens the overall look.

Except of course "First Batch" which is awesome.

ben_dash said:
x68000 said:
I still think the pandora looks much cleaner without the cluttered silkscreening.

Agreed 110%.

How about the "First Batch" has no silk screening? That could be the sign of a first-batch-er.

Nova said:
I think the only place that needs to be printed on is below each light to symbolise what it's for. Everywhere else is completely unnecessary and in my opinion cheapens the overall look.

Except of course "First Batch" which is awesome.

I agree with these statements. If Craig is worried that silkscreening prototyping will take even more time with all the shipping and refining, then lets ditch it. We all know what does what. First Batch in the picture is really "First Batc#" and the alignment is really off. Not even taking into account Michael's words about the discoloring and uneven cooling marks in the plastics.

I can see this all dragging on for weeks if they keep at it. I'm liking the idea of a Pandora Box without any external printing on it. Gives it that don't get too close what could it be impression.

Back