New Pics From Mweston

Ups, i tried to register at the forum to post my opinion, but i find out i already am. :)
So let's get the point immediately.

"First Batch" - My first batch was a DOS config file called autoexec.bat.

Please prefer a better wording, for example "First edition",

or my favorite: "Two month edition".

After all, i am happy to see the work in progress. I am sure that the pandora will finally reach us before christmas.

double7 said:
Ups, i tried to register at the forum to post my opinion, but i find out i already am. :)
So let's get the point immediately.

"First Batch" - My first batch was a DOS config file called autoexec.bat.

Please prefer a better wording, for example "First edition",

or my favorite: "Two month edition".

After all, i am happy to see the work in progress. I am sure that the pandora will finally reach us before christmas.

If it doesn't reach us before christmas this time, I don't think it will reach us at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
I would still prefer there to be no silk screening. I just worry it will fade/cause delays.

well, since you are the boss:

make it so

:)

From this discussion, I am unclear as to the current case status.
Is yet another tweaked prototype case example being prepared for shipment and approval by MWeston?
Or can the cases now be greenlighted based upon factory photos and/or assurances of the final tweaks?
If another case prototype set is to be shipped, when is that supposed to happen?

A little explanation would be appreciated.
Thanks,
j.

j.pickens said:
Is yet another tweaked prototype case example being prepared for shipment and approval by MWeston?
this, and i believe it's either already shipped or will be within a few days

craigix said:
I would still prefer there to be no silk screening. I just worry it will fade/cause delays.
How about if the next case gets to MWeston and the case itself is perfect but the silk screening sucks, needs work, lets just drop the silk screening on the first 1000 and while people are getting those the silk screen can be worked on. I don't think delaying just 2 more weeks then just 2 more weeks then just 2 more weeks then just 2 more weeks just for freaking pictures is worth it.

So case is good and silkscreen not = dump silkscreen for first of the first batch. Will make the first of the first a collectors item.

So besides the silkscreen issue(looks good, not great), what is the quality of these new cases in regards to the problems with the first test cases? And what does the team expect from the next batch that is on the way? Are these the actual "final" green light cases EVERYONE thought was arriving this week?

I'm sorry if these questions have already been answered, but I didn't see them!

Chris

Looking good! If silk screening had to be removed, I would say at least leave in the "First Batch" label.

x68000 said:
I still think the pandora looks much cleaner without the cluttered silkscreening.

Agreed 110%.

How about the "First Batch" has no silk screening? That could be the sign of a first-batch-er.

Did anyone noticed the gap between the case and the battery cover at the left and right side?

My first impression was that the batt cover is to small, because it is to short on both left and right ends.

Taking a closer look, you see the clip of the batt cover at different positions. The left one is aligned to the left, while the right one is aligned to the right. Does this mean the batt cover have a play of the size of the gap?

j.pickens said:
From this discussion, I am unclear as to the current case status.
Or can the cases now be greenlighted based upon factory photos and/or assurances of the final tweaks?
If another case prototype set is to be shipped, when is that supposed to happen?

A little explanation would be appreciated.
Thanks,
j.

it's pretty clear that the case is in the debug loop (each iteration of which takes about 2 weeks)

For me, the printing doesn't look nice. It does not look professional. I wonder why the Factory makes stuff in quality, they know, it will not pass MWestons Quality Control. ^_^
If a Nintendo Handheld would have that low printing quality, then the Factory would be in very deep trouble.
The (final?) Surface of the Case looks actualy very nice but I don't understand, why tehre are already so many scratches and "dirty" spots, if they are brand new sent out of the Factory.

craigix said:
It's your job to motivate the Factory not to cause delays. ;)
The Printing is OK. But things like "BT" indeed do look like a cheap compromise. If the quality of the printing can't be increased, I would'nt have problems with a unprinted case.
But I still think, colourless relief-like emboss of the "printing" straight into the mould would look much much better.

I think if you put this to a vote most people in the first batch would prefer to have their pandora's now assuming the case flaws are fixed.

Silk screening would be nice but if it's going to slow things down, I'd REALLY prefer not to wait.., besides, we were looking for something to differentiate the first batch from the second batch. Not Silk screening the first would do this.

Don't take this the wrong way, I can understand you're all working hard and are probably very sick of forum naggers, but these delays are getting frustrating.

It's always a case of, we're nearly done, just one more thing, then there's something else, and then something else....

If the hardware is good, please just get it out to market, cosmetic touches can be adjusted for other revisions.

@fusion
The point of the silkscreen sample was to show, that they are able to print in those areas.
*points at quote in post #3*

double7 said:
Taking a closer look, you see the clip of the batt cover at different positions. The left one is aligned to the left, while the right one is aligned to the right. Does this mean the batt cover have a play of the size of the gap?

good catch, but I figure that the clips which secure the cover will put pressure on it so it doesn't play around? maybe this is an issue they are fixing in the next set of test models or something.

Hmm ok, i see really nice improvements,

discoloration usually fades off with long real production runs, thats due to the mould getting heated up.

and since OP is not a large group like nintendo i doubt they would do a real full test run in order to check it.

this is very common for test runs since theres always material left from the last work and also most of the
CO use recovered/re-pellet material.

for me i would say Thumbs up if they can assure color issues are only caused by the short test run.

Well here's a question for the team! If all 10,000 cases are produced once the green light comes, do you guys have a plan for the silkscreen for cases 4001-8000+? They can't have first batch, or will they? Or will the factory change the silk screen half way thru to reflect second batch, or maybe just removed it all together at that point?

Chris

Back