A video. Again. Mostly about cases.

I personally do not care about the paint (in fact I can sympathise with the view that it would look a little different and interesting), but I do think that it is safer in terms of reviewers and customers more generally to paint it using the same colour as the base plastic. Also, there is a tiny chance that my mind would change and that I might regret getting an unpainted case: I have had quite a bit of fun showing my Pandora around and I feel that it may become annoying if others consistently make comments about the appearance of the Pyra being cheap rather than about more important things.

That was also the feedback I got from people when I showed the prototype to them.
Such feedback about a finished product is different story, but about a prototype? Or didn't they know it is a prototype?

If painted, could we have more color variants? Say, 3 plastic colors and 9 paints in varying lightness but similar hue... I'd like that. Scratches would probably still be very faint. color tastes are often very specific and subjective. I'd probably go for some variant of yellow if it looks warm and sunny. But, most of you seem to prefer black and at least dark. There cannot be consensus when tastes are involved.

I would assume that the target demographic is not limited to übernerds such as ourselves and might eventually include muggles too. I mean stupid people to whom an ultra portable mini computer is a fashion accessory, might prefer it cosmetically immaculate.

The target for Pyra is the people that wants a micro pc featuring full keyboard, outdated cpu, unfinished features, broken plastics and linux. For me it's pretty clear, I don't know why people have issues seeing it.

Such feedback about a finished product is different story, but about a prototype? Or didn't they know it is a prototype?

They knew it was one.
What I want to say is that the look and feel of the prototype housing is not good enough.

Appreciate clarity on this point soon.

If it’s going to be painted and there won’t be an option for an unpainted version, I want to know what my refund options are for my preorder. It’s entirely what I don’t want, and functionally pointless. As though you would ever show the Pyra to anyone at an event or in person and they would develop intent to purchase based on how the finish is.

Microsoft, a massive consumer products company, painted the Surface Pro 6 series in black and the thing literally flakes off if you run a nail over it. I don’t care how many promises are made about the paint matching the plastic, or being durable. That shit wears, that shit scratches, that shit chips. I want to use this thing and take it with me. Do you want something that will look the same after 2 years, or do you want something on which you can see every pocket slide, every tabletop slide scuff? It could create massive issues with how parts interact with each other, as none of the tolerances were tested for paint.

I also don’t know or trust what the paint is, whether it’s safe/made in China, and whether it poses any long term exposure risks. All I know is I have taken perfect care of my silver Pandora and it still has clear blemishes on the paint. These are the people who can’t make a plastic case without discoloration; we’re going to trust them to make a flawless painted finish without issue as well?

It’s a niche enthusiast device. Why does everyone want this thing to look like Nintendo made it. That’s the whole point.

That was also the feedback I got from people when I showed the prototype to them.
The housing needs to look and feel much better. I don't care but others do.
There should be at least some premium feeling.

Eh those same people will/have probably scoffed at the ram and processor...and are not the target audience.

Painting it would probably still not result in any of them buying one.
[doublepost=1569778950,1569778821][/doublepost]
I would assume that the target demographic is not limited to übernerds such as ourselves and might eventually include muggles too. I mean stupid people to whom an ultra portable mini computer is a fashion accessory, might prefer it cosmetically immaculate.

Those people would buy a gpd which:
1. Is cheaper
2. More powerful
3. Runs Windows
4. Is out now

If it’s going to be painted and there won’t be an option for an unpainted version, I want to know what my refund options are for my preorder.
Woah, seems like something of an overreaction to me, can't you trust ED to use paint you can't just scratch off with your nail? But if this really is a showstopper to you, raise a ticket on the shop. People cancel their preorders most weeks and I assume that's the process.

I also don’t know or trust what the paint is, whether it’s safe/made in China, and whether it poses any long term exposure risks. All I know is I have taken perfect care of my silver Pandora and it still has clear blemishes on the paint. These are the people who can’t make a plastic case without discoloration; we’re going to trust them to make a flawless painted finish without issue as well?
The Pandora case was made in China, but the Pyra case was made in Europe. It's one company in greece that made a mould that can't be used without discolouration, and the paints will be matched based on their pantone number and bought from Germany. In my experience, environmental and safety controls are tighter in Germany than they are in China, but you're mileage may vary, but I think it's a distinction you need to consider.

The target for Pyra is the people that wants a micro pc featuring full keyboard, outdated cpu, unfinished features, broken plastics and linux. For me it's pretty clear, I don't know why people have issues seeing it.
Actually, I'd like a reasonable replacement for my Ericsson MC218, which I still use heavily, despite its outdated cpu, unfinished features, and broken plastics (broken hinge mounting and replaced screen cable (twice), but the surface finish has not peeled).
But as things go, a micro pc featuring a full keyboard and linux is a pretty good offering.

Woah, seems like something of an overreaction to me, can't you trust ED to use paint you can't just scratch off with your nail? But if this really is a showstopper to you, raise a ticket on the shop. People cancel their preorders most weeks and I assume that's the process.

I trust ED to do his very best. I think he’s an amazing guy and the reason I have my Pandora is because he’s awesome and generous - I was a Craig preorder and by most accounts ED probably ate some cost for me to have a Pandora.

All of that said though, I don’t NEED the Pyra. It’s a nostalgia/retro addiction I fed again because after I had the Pandora, I realized I missed the wait, that it was a pretty big part of the enjoyment. And that it finally showed up and was good, great even, was unbelievable. I also wanted to support ED on his new endeavor.

But the case is by the far the thing I hate the most. I hate how the paint looks, how cheap and delicate it feels. It comes off so easily. It feels awful on my hands/skin, imo. I stopped carrying it in my backpack. I stopped taking it on trips. It just sits there. I’d like the Pyra to be something I don’t have to baby.

But the case is by the far the thing I hate the most. I hate how the paint look, how cheap and delicate it feels. It comes off so easily. I stopped carrying it in my backpack. I stopped taking it on trips. It just sits there. I’d like the Pyra to be something I don’t have to baby.
Funny how we experience different failings differently. Personally I really don't care that much about my Pandora's paint, I am more concerned about the way the plastic has cracked and flaked off though.

The latter of these problems is not expected to be a problem with the Pyra, with it having a polycarbonate case, and current estimations indicate that should the paint flake off it should be less distressing because the plastic underneath should be the same basic colour. It's not like the Rebirth pandora where the silver paint scratches of revealing black plastic underneath.

And the intention is to work on a new case which will show these problems less, and may not end up needing to be painted at all. I'd encourage you to hold on to your preorder and to upgrade it to a retail unit to support ED and make that more likely to happen, but if I can't persuade you then you know what to do.

And the intention is to work on a new case which will show these problems less, and may not end up needing to be painted at all. I'd encourage you to hold on to your preorder and to upgrade it to a retail unit to support ED and make that more likely to happen, but if I can't persuade you then you know what to do.

It’s not painted yet, so atm I’m just voicing my opinion like everyone else.

To be honest I like the genuinely used look! Awesome to see devices where the paint has worn off by hours and hours of usage. Way better than fake steam-punked new stuff imo.

Roughened and scratched plastics look like shit, too.
I don’t have anything plastic that is roughened or scratched. Do you have any examples? What always fail are paints and rubber coatings.

Also, out of curiosity, how can Chinese company Retroflag make a plastic GPi case that doesn’t seem to exhibit any claring discoloration. Is it a result of a light offwhite color?

If it’s going to be painted and there won’t be an option for an unpainted version, I want to know what my refund options are for my preorder. It’s entirely what I don’t want, and functionally pointless.
This seems a bit overdramatic. (Not that a bit of drama on the boards isn't welcome now and again to relieve the waiting.)

IIUC EvilDragon said he was considering exploring the possibility of a painted case and that he might have a few samples done to see what the effect is. That means that there cannot possibly be "clarity" on this "soon". First EvilDragon would need to explore the options, then samples would need to be done, then EvilDragon would have to examine the results and the costs and the logistics and only then could he announce his decision.
All I know is I have taken perfect care of my silver Pandora and it still has clear blemishes on the paint.
I think there is agreement that quality of the paint job on the Pandora was lousy. That doesn't mean that if the Pyra is also painted that the paint job will also be lousy. Plastics can be painted in such a way that the paint doesn't flake or peel, or scratch any more easily than the plastic does. No doubt if EvilDragon has painted samples made he will test them with scratchy objects, maybe sandpaper, maybe plastic polish (so see how they will look when they have been worn through to the plastic), maybe some harsh cleaning chemicals.
These are the people who can’t make a plastic case without discoloration; we’re going to trust them to make a flawless painted finish without issue as well?
My understanding was that EvilDragon was thinking of getting the painting done by another company, not by the current case company (the name of which is currently escaping me). And it was FormAction, not the new case company who made the moulds that can't be used without unsightly flow marks. So these are NOT "the people who can't make a plastic case without discoloration".

No doubt if EvilDragon has painted samples made he will test them with scratchy objects, maybe sandpaper, maybe plastic polish (so see how they will look when they have been worn through to the plastic), maybe some harsh cleaning chemicals.
Seems to me that testing using coins and keys and maybe keyrings should be enough to represent the worst that a Pyra is likely to face in daily life to me. If that doesn't work, polishing to show us what it might end up looking like if it did wear might assuage some member's fears.

Edit: FWIW I've successfully brought some scratched DVDs and CDs by polishing them using toothpaste, so I can confirm that most toothpastes are hard enough to polish even polycarbonate.

Back