Advanced Tactical Fighter

Website
Visit site
This link will be updated to always point to the latest Windows build:
http://www.fileden.com/getfile.php?file_path=http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/27/1978308/ATF.zip

Controls:
W - accelerate
S - brake
A - turn left
D - turn right

SPACE - cannon
K - smart bomb
L - reverse

ESC - quit

This uses the Irrlicht engine.

It's inspired by an AmstradCPC game of the same name.

Screenshot

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EFzUC5PcpE

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
Looks very good :)

reminds me of a psx title I cant remember anymore or was it early ps2 ...

well anyway nice to see these type of games I think they will be great on a pandora. If I manage to sit still while maneuvering corners

Website
Visit site
Cheers guys :)

Just downloaded the demo of Terminal Velocity from the 3D Realms website http://www.3drealms.com/tv/index.html
Nice little game - Thanks for the heads up dsh :)

roelandb

Still Fresh
this looks really great,
i guess this will be available long before a fullspeed dreamcast emulator will be out to play AeroWings :lol:

juniorm33

Very Active Member
ATF I had that on my 464. Looking good.
Has that engine been fully ported to opengl es yet?

Dimacus

Website
luminare.no-ip.org
I just had this awesome vision in my head where you could play this game in multiplayer and there was loads of fun with dogfights.
Just a question out of curiosity, is it going to be a free flight game, or more of the hoovercraft persuasion?
Really interesting project either way.

*edit* ah i missed the shmup part in the topic

droneb

Very Active Member
it is completely diferent but it reminded me of the good ol' skyroads. i dont know how much time i wasted on it but it was way loooong time.

dsh

Still Fresh
Website
byteboy.x25.pl
About the Terminal Velocity - two nice concepts from this game that I would like to see in others:
- flying above the cloud surface
- the afterburner!

iprice

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
I loved ATF on my CPC all those years ago - if you can get the gameplay right, then you'll have a guaranteed hit on you hands :)

Look forward to seeing a more complete WIP.

fusion_power

Advanced Member
Website
Visit site
Never played but I like the retro graphics of the original game. :) I wonder if there can be a good optical compromize between modern 3D graphic and the old colorful Original Game (s) ?
The (early) shot of the new game looks comparable boring, even with modern 3D stuff. I'm sure it will much more interesting if more things are on screen and the colours/ textures will be adjusted. Just an Idea. ^_^

lulzfish

Pandora Defense Squad
Website
troyanonymous.homelinux.com
Well, he's clearly just started on a demo of using Irrlicht, he's using the standard heightmap and detailmap with only one custom model for the spaceship. It will probably be much more colorful once some artwork happens.

Website
Visit site
Thanks for the replies :)

Dimacus said:
I just had this awesome vision in my head where you could play this game in multiplayer and there was loads of fun with dogfights.
Just a question out of curiosity, is it going to be a free flight game, or more of the hoovercraft persuasion?

Multiplayer is a possibility now I know how to do it.
And it's a hovercraft - ie you can't control altitude.

fusion_power said:
Never played but I like the retro graphics of the original game. :) I wonder if there can be a good optical compromize between modern 3D graphic and the old colorful Original Game (s) ?
The (early) shot of the new game looks comparable boring, even with modern 3D stuff. I'm sure it will much more interesting if more things are on screen and the colours/ textures will be adjusted. Just an Idea. ^_^
Yea - I was actually thinking of a glowing grid for the landscape. Definitely not the usual psuedo-realistic textures that I've got on just now.

lulzfish said:
Well, he's clearly just started on a demo of using Irrlicht, he's using the standard heightmap and detailmap with only one custom model for the spaceship. It will probably be much more colorful once some artwork happens.
Ahh, artwork - the bane of my games programming life. Anyone interested in doing some?

Last edited by a moderator:

(naw)mcx

Rotary Wombat
Website
www.godlikemcx.deviantart.com
Unfathomable Depths said:
Thanks for the replies :)

Dimacus said:

Multiplayer is a possibility now I know how to do it.
And it's a hovercraft - ie you can't control altitude.

fusion_power said:
Yea - I was actually thinking of a glowing grid for the landscape. Definitely not the usual psuedo-realistic textures that I've got on just now.

lulzfish said:
Ahh, artwork - the bane of my games programming life. Anyone interested in doing some?
I like artwork.

Not sure what I could do. But I'm here if you need some help :)

TheGoodDoktor

Still Fresh
I think you should add a shadow to the craft, that would make a big difference.
Moving forwards it would be a good idea to get a raytrace implemented then maybe a projectile system and a particle system so you could fire weapons.
Do you do any processing using the heightmap prior to rendering? Being able to deform the heightmap in the game would be a cool feature.

Website
Visit site
TheGoodDoktor said:
I think you should add a shadow to the craft, that would make a big difference.
Moving forwards it would be a good idea to get a raytrace implemented then maybe a projectile system and a particle system so you could fire weapons.
Do you do any processing using the heightmap prior to rendering? Being able to deform the heightmap in the game would be a cool feature.

Yea - there will be a shadow. Right now I'm just using a semi-transparent copy of the players ship. I'll fix this soon.

What do you mean by a 'ray-trace'? For collision detection?

Irrlicht has a built-in particle system I think. Eye candy like that is way down the list. I don't know how it will perform on the Pandora so I'm keeping it simple for the time being.

Projectiles - yes - cannon and missiles first.

No deforming of the landscape. I've seen examples of it being done in Irrlicht but this is my first proper 3D game so I'm keeping it pretty basic and concentrating on gameplay.