Advanced Tactical Fighter

Unfathomable Depths said:
That is brilliant and if it's OK with you it's going in. I am planning on having a few (hopefully 5 or more) different level themes.

Thank you f_p :D
No problem. :D But like mentioned, its just a sketch and it still looks pretty boring somehow. I think it's not easy to include nice and blocky "clouds" but this could be part of the 3D engine later, maybe. The 360° is only horizontaly and not verticaly so there is not a real "perspective correct" sky. ;)

(naw)mcx said:
That's an awesome background, I wish the game did not compress it so much, mind you, looks very blurry.

See how it runs on the Pandora though.
It's only a .jpg SKETCH so you can't expect miracles (I try a better one and maybe a matching heightmap for the game level, lets see...). I used a high Quality setting for the jpeg saving and the image indeed looks better outside of the game but maybe this BG can be done in PNG format later or the ingame compression could be lower, whatever. It's more important how big the filesize will be because I can't upload Megabyte-size graphics because of my "56-Problem" :D

EDIT: improved game-grid:
grid.jpg

and better BG:

I use it with an "BLACK" image of HEX# 434343, looks OK, My TFT is nearly correct calibrated for the Adobe Color spectrum but of course there are always improvements possible. It's always a different thing to make a graphic onto the PC and onto a mobile device, I hope the Pandora has correct LCD colours, the old GP2X had serious problems with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull in the game, nice! :lol:

This scene remembers me onto an project from our german Forum. A Coder wanted to make a desert-ralley-game but he had problems with the landscape and a working LOD system for the surface, so the Ralley game died I think.

Irrlicht handles LOD really easily. You just set a parameter when creating the terrain.

The more I've been delving into Irrlicht the more I like it - it's not the simplest engine I've used (hello DarkBasic) but it's very logical and the forums are immense. I really hope it runs well on the Pandora. I should ask Cpasjuste but I fear he's a very busy man.

*edit* Loving the new grid and skysphere :)

*edit2* Here is the version with fusion_powers new look. Very nice f_p :)
http://www.fileden.com/getfile.php?file_path=http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/27/1978308/ATF.zip

Irrlicht handles LOD really easily. You just set a parameter when creating the terrain.

The more I've been delving into Irrlicht the more I like it - it's not the simplest engine I've used (hello DarkBasic) but it's very logical and the forums are immense. I really hope it runs well on the Pandora. I should ask Cpasjuste but I fear he's a very busy man.
I hope, with the Engine is it possisble to reach all the nice Hardware Features of the OMAP Chipset, I read to often "software only" here and there from Devs. Would be sad if we have such a SGX powered ARM Hardware Monster and can't use all the goodies from it. And I hope the Pandora can handle transparencies (alpha) better than the GP2X, could be useful for this game (shadows, Mini-Map/HUD...) :)

Minor update:
improved scanner
added basic bullet collision detection (not perfect yet)
spawning of NPCs

http://www.fileden.com/getfile.php?file_path=http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/27/1978308/ATF.zip

Needs reverse implemented.

Hard one.
I just have to ask: how is implementing reverse hard? You even had it in one of the earlier versions.

Not reverse as in going backwards. Reverse as in turning around.

I've got several options and it's choosing the right one that's hard :)

*edit* Going to move this discussion to a blog so I don't have to bump this thread for every little change.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=41&

Just gave it a try, works wonderfully in wine on Linux.

First, should bullets really be following the landscape? Well, I guess they kind of have to due to the game having 2d controls but 3d based... hmm... just seems weird, might just be the current graphics however.

Second, the camera doesn't adjust properly when going over a large hill very fast. I'm sure you've already noticed it, but the camera stays below and the ship shoots out of range, making it blind until the camera catches up.

Can't wait to see more! :)

Gary13579 said:
Just gave it a try, works wonderfully in wine on Linux.

First, should bullets really be following the landscape? Well, I guess they kind of have to due to the game having 2d controls but 3d based... hmm... just seems weird, might just be the current graphics however.

Second, the camera doesn't adjust properly when going over a large hill very fast. I'm sure you've already noticed it, but the camera stays below and the ship shoots out of range, making it blind until the camera catches up.

Can't wait to see more! :)

@your second point: IIRC, he said that the camera "lag" is a feature, not a bug.

Back