Advanced Tactical Fighter

Yea, that keyboard thing is weird, I get it when I use the cursor keys but not when I use WASD. As it works on WASD movement I'm not bothering about it.

OK

Slowly moving things along... Trying a new look - comments really wanted on this :)

Shadows aren't perfect, but this is probably the best we are going to get - Irrlicht has an awesome lighting system but it means a massive speed hit, so I've implemented a very simple compromise. I know its not perfect but, I think, it's just about good enough.

The models aren't final - nothing is really, just wanted to have some stuff moving about for you to see.

No collision detection/target acquisition yet. That's what I'm working on now. Will take a week or so.

Gameplay - here is the idea I'm going with:
You have a number of targets to defend (those red semi-transparent guys). The yellow guys will roam about the landscape and if they see a target they will home-in and try and drag it to the edge of the terrain. If it gets to the edge you lose a target. Lose all your targets and it's game over.
There will be other enemies - minelayers, hunters who just home in on you, pods, swarmers, etc etc

Can you say 'Williams Defender in 3D'?

*edit* Forgot link
http://www.fileden.com/getfile.php?file_path=http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/27/1978308/ATF.zip

*edit2* Would anyone like to do some low-poly models? I'm talking really simple. I like the retro look. Anyone?

I like it so far. One suggestion: instead of making the plane thingy hug the ground so tightly, make it kinda fly off a bit when you drive up and over a hill. This would make it feel faster.

So it's meant to be an "Open World" Shooter instead of an 3D self-scrolling "rail" shooter, lets say like SNES Starfox. OK. But the mentioning of "Defender" scares me alot, I've never played such an stressful and hard (retro) shooter before and after I remember to be very happy to reach the 2. Level :lol: . I more prefer the (compared) relaxing shooters where you powerup your wepons until you can shoot over the entire Screen. :D
If I coose "stress" I try "IKARUGA" or "RADIANT SILVERGUN" - stressful enough for me. ^_^
Well, the "grid" style looks interesting, I've also tried some texture modifications for the realistic looking terrain.
The current look could go into some "TRON" like graphic style maybe? Would be very stylish I think especialy with the right BG Image(s) and Item/Object styling. :)

I made a graphical mod of it, less Tron, more... IDK, just take a look.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/a056had/n/ATFMOD_rar

And I'm still working on Thunderstruck, it's kinda complex but coming along.

So it's meant to be an "Open World" Shooter instead of an 3D self-scrolling "rail" shooter, lets say like SNES Starfox. OK. But the mentioning of "Defender" scares me alot, I've never played such an stressful and hard (retro) shooter before and after I remember to be very happy to reach the 2. Level :lol: . I more prefer the (compared) relaxing shooters where you powerup your wepons until you can shoot over the entire Screen. :D
If I coose "stress" I try "IKARUGA" or "RADIANT SILVERGUN" - stressful enough for me. ^_^
Well, the "grid" style looks interesting, I've also tried some texture modifications for the realistic looking terrain.
The current look could go into some "TRON" like graphic style maybe? Would be very stylish I think especialy with the right BG Image(s) and Item/Object styling. :)

Not really open world, more arena. Definitely not a rails shooter.

Williams Defender is my all-time favourite game :) Chad-somely skilled reaction game. What I'm pondering right now is how to implement 'reverse'. naw(mcx) had an excellent idea - do a barrelroll - and that was going to go in. Now I'm thinking the camera flips behind you and you carry on in the original direction facing the opposite way. That sounds stupid but I'll write it and see if we like it :)

Any chance I could see the textures you've done? TRON - nice - would suit this really well. Been messing about with 'ghosting' on the models and that gives me a nice 80s computer movie glow.

Background image is just a placeholder really - the skybox looks weird with the retro terrain - although I think you can still flip it using the B key.

Thanks FP :)

*edit* just noticed I misplaced a quote tag.

Unfathomable Depths said:
Not really open world, more arena. Definitely not a rails shooter.

Williams Defender is my all-time favourite game :) Awesomely skilled reaction game. What I'm pondering right now is how to implement 'reverse'. naw(mcx) had an excellent idea - do a barrelroll - and that was going to go in. Now I'm thinking the camera flips behind you and you carry on in the original direction facing the opposite way. That sounds stupid but I'll write it and see if we like it :)

Any chance I could see the textures you've done? TRON - nice - would suit this really well. Been messing about with 'ghosting' on the models and that gives me a nice 80s computer movie glow.

Background image is just a placeholder really - the skybox looks weird with the retro terrain - although I think you can still flip it using the B key.

Thanks FP :)
Yeah, it's B.

I've have been working on stuff, but it's hard, as I'm on holiday and on a eee701!

I'll show you when I get home

Last edited by a moderator:
Chill S.

Things seem like they are moving quickly but in reality this is all basic stuff. The hard bits are way off yet. The next week or so will see a basic working game - then it slows drastically as we piece it together - giving you loads of time to work on your end.

Williams Defender is my all-time favourite game :) Awesomely skilled reaction game. What I'm pondering right now is how to implement 'reverse'. naw(mcx) had an excellent idea - do a barrelroll - and that was going to go in. Now I'm thinking the camera flips behind you and you carry on in the original direction facing the opposite way. That sounds stupid but I'll write it and see if we like it :)
You really can PLAY Defender? Respect I only can DIE IN Defender and AFAIK Ive never was able to save one of the falling persons, somehow they always die.

There is nothing to show, I've just played with a light green and dark green chessboard surface, somehow like the original old school game but I think I should try something really different now that I've mentioned Tron. But without real calculated "glow effect" of the outlines the entire Tron-setting would be only half the fun.
I see the Texture for the terrain can be smaller than the entire terrain now or was this always the case?

I hope I find some Sky-Examples of a Tron environment but I have no talent for the 6-side cube Skybox, the "flat" single Texture Skybox seems to be alot easier to do.

Whatever, Textures are not so important like gameplay now. This "barrelroll" remembers me onto the "free flight" levels of Starwing 64, mostly during fighting Bosses you was able do fly free into an limited Area around hte Boss and do superb rolls (straight 180° turn + 18ß°roll upwards->backwards into the camera before the view again aligns behind the Ship)maybe there are youtube Videos of this scenes. The style of this movement/cam handling could be perfect for your game. :)

Point by point.

1. I was not bad at the arcade cab. I play the GP2X Mame version a lot. It's let down by the GP2X's stick but still very playable. Eugene Jarvis is a God to me :)

2. Yes, the terrain texture can be any size as long it's a power of 2 (64x64, 128x128,,, 2048x2048 , etc) and it will be stretched to fit.

3. Single skybox textures are fine, in fact, probably better for this. How I'm going to do reverse is still up in the air.

Thanks again f_p :)

Here's the new link:
http://www.fileden.com/getfile.php?file_path=http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/10/21/2614197/ATFMOD.rar

some quick terrain-tron-grid-jpg test thing. The Texture is too dark ingame, maybe later ingame gamma corrections will make it better. glow effect of course works not so well without real glow effect. ^^
PNG format would be (sometimes) better for some smaller textures, not by filesize but by quality. (My 56K Modem says thanx of course, because of the small filesize. :D

gridl.jpg

Wow, 56k. That must be a total pisser.

You're right about .PNG of course. I really must change everything to PNG format. Next update.

You can alter the gamma yourself, to some extent, by changing 'black.png'. Have a play with it. The glow effect I was talking about only works with the models. To glow the terrain in the same way requires 2 terrains and almost doubles the amount of tri's.

That's really nice :)

*edit* Just got permission from Divide_&_Kreate from the GYBO5 forums to use his mash for the title page (sorry Jourdy, he beat you to it)

7mb download : http://www.fileden.com/getfile.php?file_path=http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/27/1978308/Dubstruck.mp3

Hey, nothing personal. I'll keep working on Thunderstruck, never know when I'll need it.

BTW, I downloaded the original ATF, maybe I could redo the original theme? Either playing it live on the piano or doing a new version in Anvil Studio. It would be pretty cool to do that for the ingame music.

*edit* Just got permission from Divide_&_Kreate from the GYBO5 forums to use his mash for the title page (sorry Jourdy, he beat you to it)

7mb download : http://www.fileden.c...8/Dubstruck.mp3
I thought I was in for one of "those" crappy mashups when it started playing, but that is quality. Particularly the breakdown/bridge section at the end.

Wow, 56k. That must be a total pisser.
It's like watching the internet but only through a small keyhole.

Yes, the "gamma" looks much better with my texture if the black is set to a 90% (or less) dark grey, looks also better with my quick new Blender-render panorama background image:

("B" button to activate this bg) I'ts only a "sketch" to check if this graphic set would make sense at all. And I was really happy to find out how to render 360° Panorama views in Blender :lol: . I think with more details and better "composing" this graphic style could be interesting, of course I also can live with nice "normal" grass landscapes :)

Hey, if you're stuck with 56K you might want to try Opera, it comes with Turbo, it'll load the most important info first, and flash videos won't load without you first clicking them, it's pretty useful.

Jourdy288 said:
Hey, if you're stuck with 56K you might want to try Opera, it comes with Turbo, it'll load the most important info first, and flash videos won't load without you first clicking them, it's pretty useful.
I always use Opera! :lol: It's the only way to surf those days because I can easily disable images and java script and especialy flash! Site loads pretty fast without all this stuff. But even an activated javascipt slows down the site loading very heavy. Youtube& Co. are totaly taboo of course.

Back