Advanced Tactical Fighter

Just gave the latest version a run (in WINE, on a core2 1.8ghz) and my CPU observations are the same as the last few posts.

Ran beautifully though, can't wait to see more!

BackAssward said:
Unfathomable Depths said:
Yes, your right Dimacus.
No idea why. I'll look into it. Cheers.
Looks good. I can confirm it doesn't go above 1-2% on my Core 2 Dou P9600 when playing (says 1% so that is probably 2% on one of the cores). When I select another window, confirmed it maxes out one of the cores.

Edit: oh, as for frames, Fraps tells me 61-62 average the lowest was 59 once. The previous version would do 1000-1200 frames/s always maxing out a core. Maybe your frame limiter only works when the game is the active window? Fraps won't tell me framerate when it isn't the active window so I can't check. Maybe you could add framerate output to the text window?

I noticed the same behaviour.

I have an Athlon II X2 245 running XP Pro. Most of the time it hovers at 0 percent, but every few seconds it spikes to 1-3%. 60fps solid.

As soon as I selected another window, it jumped to 45-47% CPU usage. (90+% of one core)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. I need to halt the program when the game window loses focus.

At bottom of list. Tried device->sleep(6000) when focus is lost and it kept maxing out. Think that due to the keyboard event receiver.

Not a problem really. Just make sure you have focus while it running.

Missiles, cannon and mini-map

http://www.fileden.com/getfile.php?file_path=http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/27/1978308/ATF.zip

WASD or cursors
C or SPACE - cannon
L - missiles

Nope, works fine for me. One-off corrupted download?

I admit I'm not familiar with the "original" game (I shall correct this oversight after I've made this post), but are the lasers supposed to work like that? It seems that they're locked to the craft's movement, and you can sort of steer them after they've been fired. Just feels a bit odd.

I like the overall feel though, it looks like it could become a really good game. I agree with the earlier sentiments regarding the landscape - glowing grid style hills/valleys could work well :)

fishybawb said:
I admit I'm not familiar with the "original" game (I shall correct this oversight after I've made this post), but are the lasers supposed to work like that? It seems that they're locked to the craft's movement, and you can sort of steer them after they've been fired. Just feels a bit odd.

It does look a bit like that. What's really happening is they hug the terrain for a short time. Perhaps I should slow them down a bit.

Hmm, I tried it through wine on an intel mac, and its failing...
Last login: Sun Oct 18 14:03:52 on ttys000
HAL-9000:~ geoffreylalonde$ wine /Users/geoffreylalonde/Downloads/ATF/ATF.exe
Irrlicht Engine version 1.6
Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Using renderer: OpenGL 2.1
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M OpenGL Engine: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL driver version is 1.2 or better.
GLSL version: 1.2
Could not open file of texture: media/logo.png
Could not load font because the file does not exist: irrmedia/fontlucida.png
Could not load terrain, because file could not be opened.: media/map.bmp
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x407308 (thread 0009), starting debugger...

EDIT: why is wine opening it in win 98? Is there any way I can specify to wine that I want it to act like XP?
If wine isn't an emulator... why does it have any OS specifications?

Im running wine in mac, so there is no configuration page
I assume there are commands, but I can't find them...
EDIT: found it, winecfg....
EDIT: didn't help at all though... Imma try running it through that XP partition

You probably already noticed this, but the left arrow button doesn't register while forward is held.

Oh, that's wrong. It seems like my keyboard is broken. :(

Lunatic said:
You probably already noticed this, but the left arrow button doesn't register while forward is held.

If your keyboard is broken, then so is mine. When I press both the up key and the spacebar, I can't turn left. I've had the same kind of problem in FretsOnFire. The only decent key combo I found for that game was shift,z,x,c, and v. Stupid cheap laptop keyboard.

Also, the minimap is good, but it's backwards. When you turn left, it looks like you turn right on the minimap. I got confuzed :)

Mr.Confuzed said:
Lunatic said:

If your keyboard is broken, then so is mine. When I press both the up key and the spacebar, I can't turn left. I've had the same kind of problem in FretsOnFire. The only decent key combo I found for that game was shift,z,x,c, and v. Stupid cheap laptop keyboard.

Also, the minimap is good, but it's backwards. When you turn left, it looks like you turn right on the minimap. I got confuzed :)
Edit: Not actually sure the keybaord problem is the general problem with keypress limitations... for me I can do up-arrow+space+left arrow+l just fine (or right arrow). So I removed my original post. It might be your gear, some setups definitly have a limitation on what keys can be pressed simultaneously.

Edit2: darn, I think you are right on the map. Retraction.

I think you need a pause function, and that when the window becomes non-active, it should kick in. This is a pretty routine concept. The games needs to be able to paused during gameplay, then have it activate when the window isn't the active one.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers, you've done great stuff so far.

B

If the keyboard issue is hardware-related (the keyboard can't handle so many keypresses) it should be easy enough to test by using a gamepad. If the problem persists it's in the code.

B-ZaR said:
If the keyboard issue is hardware-related (the keyboard can't handle so many keypresses) it should be easy enough to test by using a gamepad. If the problem persists it's in the code.
It must be hardware, because it only happens with my usb keyboard connected to my laptop, and not my laptop keyboard.

I suspected it was the USB ones. Given less data bandwidth than one connecte3d directly with the board, like my laptop that doesn't have this issue but my USB keyboard (and ps2 probably also) have the issue.

Back