Release Advent Calendar

iprice

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
Hopefully coming just in time to open the first door on December 1st is an Advent Calendar puzzle game I'm making, with a seasonal-inspired puzzle hiding behind each of the 24 doors leading up to Christmas. It's based on my PixeLink game, so some will know what to expect.

advent01.jpg

advent02.jpg

Each puzzle takes between 5 and 15 miutes to complete, averaging around 10minutes - so they all should last longer than a choclate calendar and are better for the waistline.

All being well and good I plan to release this on 30th November 2014.

than a choclate calendar and are better for the waistline.
Just wondering... for how many of you a chocolate calendar is the tradition you grew up with?
(me: No way. Mine always had pictures or something behind the doors. My sister got some with little presents in it as a kind of stretched out Christmas present {replacing it} from her godmother {does /this/ tradition exist in English speaking countries?} sometimes)

/actual topic

Well, nice. Really. Nice idea. Thanks. I'm just not much into puzzle games, if I do something of the like then I'd rather try myself at some proof or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. I never got around to trying your last release, but will try and give this one a go :)

the ingame background image does not fit the gfx style of the rest of the game
Yeah I know. Annoying is't it! And to make it worse the puzzle art style changes on occasions too! :p

But this is EXACTLY like the Advent Calendars I had when growing up - all behind-door images were seemingly created by different people and varied in quality and were vastly different to the main front image. You could also say that's true of most chocolate Advent Calendars too. ;)

How are you going to ensure people don't cheat time and also keep in sync with timezones? :p
I'm not. If people like it enough to jump through hoops to go to the next puzzles early, then that sounds good to me :D

Bah Humbug ;)

Just wondering... for how many of you a chocolate calendar is the tradition you grew up with?
From my distant memory there would be 1 chocolate on Christmas eve, the rest would be pictures of shepherds, stars and other misc nativity stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bn0wFvEJow

As each puzzle can take a couple of hours to produce the image alone, and then another hour or so to create the puzzle and test, then I'd say yes.

Of course if you'd like to contribute a 50x50 image, I'll run it through my colouring process (there is a deliberately limited palette to prevent too many similar colours that could cause confusion), which might affect it dramatically - I wasted countless hours on some puzzle to find they turn to shit after this process.

Some people might think that doing something like this is quick and easy. They are wrong. Very, very wrong.

I should have been more clear.  It was a joke inspired by the video above.  If you want I can try to make the particularly interesting one mentioned at the end of that clip.

I didn't have chocolate calendars either when I was a kid - they didn't exist AFAIR.
Here in the Netherlands, they existed, however, only for the rich, they were like 15 guilders, 3 weeks worth of allowance. Belgian fries were 1.50 back then...

Granted, they were huge and 3d because each house held a wrapped candy, and they were full color. However, you could create your own, with 5 guilders worth of (unwrapped) candy.

So, did you find time to make the Pandora version (using the Windows version for now, but a Pandora one could be great).

Back