All Of Wikipedia On Pandora?

Flat said:
not true.
i have it running on my s60 phone -> 587 MB without images.
I had it on my Jornada 720, and it was about that size. The only catch was that it was from 2003. If you're using a dictionary viewer program, yours is probably from around then too.

ashdjones said:
How is progress? Are you still working on it? This is still one of the apps i'm most looking forward to!
:)
It's on hold until I get a Pandora to test on, and/or more disk space. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
atomicthumbs said:
It's on hold until I get a Pandora to test on, and/or more disk space. :p
I'm still looking forward to this. If you need some help just PM me.

ALERT! This is an old thread! :)

I wanted to say that I tried this offline wikipedia reader mentioned above on my linux box and it REALLY sucks. There are no links just "[[" ans "]]". And loads of erros from teh rendering engine aswell.

If and only if the results from the port to teh Pandor are the same, I wouldn't be to hopeful.

If I made something wrong, just tell me. I want wikipedia aswell!

Squidge said:
It's a bog standard web browser on the PC when you view it, so whats wrong with the Pandora's default web browser when you browse it using that?

I assume that the Static HTML tree dumps of Wikipedia are lacking the server-side search functions. Which would make Wikipedia tricky to use.

Creature XL said:
ALERT! This is an old thread! :)

I wanted to say that I tried this offline wikipedia reader mentioned above on my linux box and it REALLY sucks. There are no links just "[[" ans "]]". And loads of erros from teh rendering engine aswell.

If and only if the results from the port to teh Pandor are the same, I wouldn't be to hopeful.

If I made something wrong, just tell me. I want wikipedia aswell!

How did you try to make it work? It works fine for me.

Edit:

If you follow the instructions at the bottom of the page, it says to comment out the SVN checkout command in the Makefile and untar this in the wiki-reader dir: http://users.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~ttsiod/m...wiki_sa.tar.bz2

Do that and see if it works without rebuilding it.

VRAndy said:
Squidge said:
It's a bog standard web browser on the PC when you view it, so whats wrong with the Pandora's default web browser when you browse it using that?

I assume that the Static HTML tree dumps of Wikipedia are lacking the server-side search functions. Which would make Wikipedia tricky to use.
This makes the Pandora act as a miniature web server, with a miniature Wikipedia search engine and no fussing around with MediaWiki and MySQL. You view it with Firefox, which is what Squidge was referring to.

There's a Wikipedia-onboard project for the OpenMoko Freerunner (which is also using Angstrom, btw) so its quite feasible that we can just pull that package into the Pandora project and use it.

How big is the Wikipedia now? I mean for each Language only, with/without Pix?
If the german Wikipedia is not that huge, I could imagine to have a offline Copy onto my 16GB SD. :)

fusion_power said:
How big is the Wikipedia now? I mean for each Language only, with/without Pix?
If the german Wikipedia is not that huge, I could imagine to have a offline Copy onto my 16GB SD. :)
You can't download the images, just the basic content.
The current list of pages, including templates and redirects and external links comes in at about 1.5 gigs compressed. I think that pushes it to about 30 gigs or so uncompressed. That assumes you aren't interested in the history. History file is about 500 gigs or so. I haven't downloaded it to check what it comes out as uncompressed, and I don't want to.

atomicthumbs said:
This makes the Pandora act as a miniature web server, with a miniature Wikipedia search engine and no fussing around with MediaWiki and MySQL. You view it with Firefox, which is what Squidge was referring to.

Oh. Neat.

necromantic BUMP.

Anyone got a wikipedia-to-go already? I would much prefer a static HTML version but wikimedia's last one is two years old... Does anyone know if there are recent dumps?

I had a recent dump, probably not the type you want though :lol:

Portable Pandora Wiki would be very cool, How did you get on Atomicthumbs? are you still working on the project?

*WANT*
If the Pandora would accept SDXC cards (and if they were affordable, for that matter) and if one had a good internet connection and much patience) you could download Wikipedia- pictures and all.

Cool, I look forward to it, If you need me to test anything just give me a shout. would love to try it out ;)

rmm21 said:
atomicthumbs said:
waiting until I get my pandora to continue work

How will you overcome the fat32 file size limit? The latest english text only dump is around 5.7GB.

FYI, I recommend Aard Dictionary/Wikipedia offline viewer which works with quite a few OSs.

On my Ipod Touch I ran it through an indexer, and it came out smaller. I think it threw out duplicate articles.

Besides, there is always NTFS (flakey mind you).

Back