Android Console Yinlips Ydp-G18

Can someone comment on how well mame runs on the yinlips?

On side-scrollers like shinobi or wonderboy is the scrolling smooth and fullspeed/full framerate without blur or glithes/tearing etc.?

does mame generally run better on the caanoo or the yinlips?

bux said:

On side-scrollers like shinobi or wonderboy is the scrolling smooth and fullspeed/full framerate without blur or glithes/tearing etc.?

MAME, at least the TigerMAME that it comes with, runs pretty well. I've had a few of the bigger NeoGeo games not load up, but it could be a format issue or something. The Caanoo MAME is more optimized and has a better UI... but playing games like Mars Matrix on the bigger screen is AWESOME! God I wish the Caanoo had a 5 inch version of the Dingoo A320 screen :D

Last edited by a moderator:
rotation said:
bux said:

MAME, at least the TigerMAME that it comes with, runs pretty well. I've had a few of the bigger NeoGeo games not load up, but it could be a format issue or something. The Caanoo MAME is more optimized and has a better UI... but playing games like Mars Matrix on the bigger screen is AWESOME! God I wish the Caanoo had a 5 inch version of the Dingoo A320 screen :D

thanks for the reply.. seems so tough to make a decision on what to buy with so much choice now and lots of handhelds seem to become old news in a matter of months.
That JXD S7100 Ruffnutts bought looks pretty good so might check it out

The YDPG18 is dead. Long live the YDPG18.
Now with 2-point touch screen and A10 CPU. looks like 1080P/3D HDMI too.

Yinlips smart handheld YDPG18 core A10 upgrade
As the well-known brand tablet game, Yinlips time to provide users with the strong performance of the game flat products, as listed in November last year new 5-inch screen A9, Andrews e palm Q YDPG18 been a lot of the players attention. And today, according to Britain Philip said, YDPG18 officially upgraded A10 core. This product is equipped with 5-inch touch screen, support for 2-point touch, with a 1.5GHz processor, support for 2160P HD playback, 3D video playback, 1080P/3D HDMI dual-mode output with front and rear dual cameras, WiFi Internet access, and also using DVFS + Smart PMU dual-energy technology, and price was only 799 yuan / 8G. It is reported that recently upgraded YDPG18 will be listed, so stay tuned.
http://www.yinlips.com/news/detail.aspx?v=577

Dr.Altaica said:

As the well-known brand tablet game, Yinlips time to provide users with the strong performance of the game flat products, as listed in November last year new 5-inch screen A9, Andrews e palm Q YDPG18 been a lot of the players attention. And today, according to Britain Philip said, YDPG18 officially upgraded A10 core. This product is equipped with 5-inch touch screen, support for 2-point touch, with a 1.5GHz processor, support for 2160P HD playback, 3D video playback, 1080P/3D HDMI dual-mode output with front and rear dual cameras, WiFi Internet access, and also using DVFS + Smart PMU dual-energy technology, and price was only 799 yuan / 8G. It is reported that recently upgraded YDPG18 will be listed, so stay tuned.

Hurraay! More gadgets! I really need to get rid of my gadget addiction....

Amon_Re said:
Dr.Altaica said:

Hurraay! More gadgets! I really need to get rid of my gadget addiction....

Funny, the A10 doesn't exist...
http://arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a/index.php

The AllWinner A10 is basically a Cortex-A8 enhanced. I think it may actually be a Chinese clone of the A8 but I'm not sure. The important thing is that it shouldn't be confused with a Cortex-A10 because that's what they want, it's just marketing. "Look, we've got an A10! That's two better than what you have!" (even though one is Cortex-A8, the other is AllWinner A10, and they're almost the same thing, so to speak)

edit: According to this it is a Cortex-A8 CPU in a SoC, clocked up to 1.5Ghz. I've no idea how they do that since the A8 is only rated up to 1000Mhz.

WizardStan said:
The AllWinner A10 is basically a Cortex-A8 enhanced. I think it may actually be a Chinese clone of the A8 but I'm not sure. The important thing is that it shouldn't be confused with a Cortex-A10 because that's what they want, it's just marketing. "Look, we've got an A10! That's two better than what you have!" (even though one is Cortex-A8, the other is AllWinner A10, and they're almost the same thing, so to speak)

edit: According to this it is a Cortex-A8 CPU in a SoC, clocked up to 1.5Ghz. I've no idea how they do that since the A8 is only rated up to 1000Mhz.

they are probably speed binning it. Typical corners can be 30-40% faster then slow corners.

20120114163229966.jpg

Use it to make bootleg movies at the cinema. :D

So, where are you guys in the UK buying this from?

$120 here:

http://www.etronixmart.com/yinlips-ydpg18-wifi-android-game-console-smart-mini-tablet-p-975.html

Does anyone know anything about this store?

Would far rather get it within the UK if that's possible to save on shipping and possible import tax.

®

WizardStan said:

A10 is the name of the SoC AllWinner is making, not the name of the CPU it uses. The confusion is no different from the confusion with Apple SoCs (Apple A5 vs Cortex-A5). Except here I'd be more inclined to believe the confusion was deliberate. And I'd be more inclined to believe they're ripping off Apple than ARM - hey, an A10 is TWICE as good as an A5!

As you say the CPU here is just a Cortex-A8. It's probably a full-on hard-macro supplied by ARM, I doubt some no-name Chinese firm that just started selling ARM SoCs has a lot of experience doing layout for ARM cores, although maybe they spent a long time doing it. Hence why they're using a Cortex-A8 even though Cortex-A9 beats it in pretty much every metric (except maybe licensing cost??). Could also explain the higher than typical clock speed. Note that ARM doesn't really "rate" clock speed per se. What they do is make some implementation of the chip for some particular process then determine how high they can clock it within the restraints of some supply voltage. Licensees can use their own layout/RTL optimization, use a different process (including a newer one or a one more optimized for performance over power consumption) and can run the chip at higher voltages to some extent.

However, given that every other Chinese SoC I'm currently aware of is using an old 65nm process I really doubt anyone was able to clock a Cortex-A8 to 1.5GHz on it. They're probably playing the usual Chinese SoC number game BS where they add frequencies of different components (like CPU + GPU) to get what they have. Or maybe they're making it up entirely. Who knows. You'd be wise not to take it at face value.

What they're definitely NOT doing is speed binning it. You don't get cheapest-in-class SoC by using a bin in the top few percent.

And that leaves me with the impression that this new version of the YDP-G18 isn't an upgrade at all, since it's using a worse CPU (A8 vs A9) that probably isn't clocked as high as they say it is. It's probably a BOM cost cutter, which happens all the time in Chinese handhelds. They go with whatever they can get manage to scrounge up the lowest prices for in some warehouse, and when that stock is gone they move to something else.

And their stupid website is 403ing me, probably because I'm not Chinese.

Dr.Altaica said:

Forget Yinlips, there's also JXD S601. Same specs as the Yinlips YDP-G18 except smaller screen. (Assuming the specs are right).

JXD S601 Tablet PC - 4.3" Android 2.3 Cortex A9 Gaming Reviews

Jxd S601 comes after the very popular JXD S7100. It only has a 4.3" inch screen and looks more like the PSP but if you are okay with this, this gaming tablet is packed with robust features. S601 has: 512MB DDR3,ARM Mail 400,CPU:ARM Cortex A9 CPU, suppports Flash 10.3.

S601 plays Andriod games, Sony games, Nintendo games, Arcade games, Sega games. Another game console with big 7 inches sreen for you better enjoy playing games. Both White and Black colors are available.

Other JXD S601 features include:

* Built-in microphone (up to 25 hours recoding time, WAV)
* 3.5mm headphone
* ARM Cortex A9
* Android 2.3
* USB 2.0 High Speed
* 3D Games
* WiFI WLAN (802.11 b/g/n)
* E-book
* WIN98SE/ME,WIN2000、XP
* TV-OUT
* On-line Video
* Gesensor
* OpenGL ES 1.x/2.0