Android gingerbread in a pnd?

A hint for people having problems and want to log errors. A terminal is installed. you can find it in the development tools.

Busybox should be found on XDA-Developers or just GOOGLE it.

Alogcat is a good tool for logging. And as I mentioned before, if you have installed Android SDK, you can connect over Wifi with ADB to take access to the device and get a shell.

Grafic hardware acceleration isn't supported, right ?

The easiest solution is to use the on screen keyboard for anything which doesn't work on the actual keyboard, just tap on the text entry field and it should show up.

- Neelix

I did try that, and it popped up, however hitting ALT didn't show any sort of dash.. If it did it was too small to even try to read.

The easiest solution is to use the on screen keyboard for anything which doesn't work on the actual keyboard, just tap on the text entry field and it should show up.

- Neelix

I did try that, and it popped up, however hitting ALT didn't show any sort of dash.. If it did it was too small to even try to read.

Its on the number section - under the 7 key.

- Neelix

Neelix, Cazmiester of anyone else care to put a short video online to see what android looks like on Pandora ? I'm interested to see how well some apps are running.

I don't have a way to create such a video right now I'm afraid.

For anyone familiar with Everett Kaser's games I got Sherlock Free working, and Everett has given me permission to post a direct link to the apk. (though he doesn't guarantee the link will work for longer than a month or so)

Unfortunately there is no way to purchase the paid versions (which have more and different puzzles) unless we can sort out the device compatibility issues.

The address is:

Code:
http://www.kaser.com/android/SherlockFree.apk

and if you enter that address (or click this link) in the Android browser it will allow you to install it.

- Neelix

EDIT: GAH! Is there any way to stop the forum software from abbreviating URLs like that?

EDIT 2: fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Intriguing indeed! At some point will it be possible to make this bootable straight from SD rather than running as a pnd? At some point I can see myself creating a multi OS SD with Android, Slackware and whatever else on!

Would Android run any better if it wasn't running on top of Angstrom?

I had a few hiccups so here is a step-by-step for those who need it.

• Ensure you are running SZbeta5a.
  • Overclock, enable wifi, then run the Android PND.
  • Once you're in Android, you need to go into settings and select your wifi network.
  • At the Android home screen, type 'slideme' into the search bar.
  • On the Slideme website, search for 'ES File Explorer'. Download it. (thanks scorpio16v for the tip)
  • Once downloaded & installed, you can use it to install .APKs from the second SD card.
  • Optionally, install Rotation Locker to keep all your apps in landscape mode.

The F1 2012 timing app works, so I am beyond stoked.

Great work Notaz, thank you.
So basically if you dont have wifi your screwed.
well, you can run apache on your pandora :p

So basically if you dont have wifi your screwed.
well, you can run apache on your pandora :p
There's also USB networking which should work just as well; plug your Pandora into your PC, tell the PC to share the network... there's a few other steps I'm forgetting. I had a step-by-step guide somewhere, some searching will be required.

Could a pnd be released with the installer already installed pleasssssseeeeeeeee.

Tried it now and stuff like angry birds is not that fastwith 900mhz on my 256 mb Pandora. It takes a lot of time to load and sound stutters. Also it seems to load data quite frequent from the sd what seems to slow down the running programs and android itself.

But really nice job notaz!

Tried it now and stuff like angry birds is not that fastwith 900mhz on my 256 mb Pandora. It takes a lot of time to load and sound stutters. Also it seems to load data quite frequent from the sd what seems to slow down the running programs and android itself.

I actually experienced this last time I tried, but before that, I had very little issue with speed. I wonder if there's something that slows the game down, like maybe WiFi being enabled? That's all I can think of.

Don't know if it's helpfull for someone. I've attached ADB. If you don't want to install the whole Android-SDK only for this tool. Works for Windows only.

- Just unzip the folder.

- open CMD

- cd to the ADB folder and type

Code:
adb connect <pandoras_ip>:5555

Now, you are having a adb connection via WLan.

You can install apps, pull or push files to the device or get a shell

I've tested adb install with Google Maps. :)

For the GUI friends, another way.

Download QtADB and the binaries from this site and put all this in a folder.

Open QtADB and chosse connection via Wlan and connect with your pandora's IP.

On this app, you can have a console, logcat, take screenshot.

On this website are versions for Linux, Windows and Mac and the needed binaries.

http://qtadb.wordpress.com/download/

For adb via USB, it needs a driver with a hacked Hardware ID. And I'm not shure if I need only a simple USB to USB cable ?

ADB.zip

Attachments

• ADB.zip
    161.6 KB · Views: 198
I've now gotten Angry Birds Space and Cut the Rope Experiments up and running on my Pandora, but am also encountering the same very long load speeds and sluggishness as reported above. This is at 800mhz on a 256 Pandora , if that helps? It is very impressive that they run at all anyway! :)

(null)

the nes emulator runs really nicely, its a shame you cant map the game buttons :( you have to use O and P

video being uploaded as we speak

the nes emulator runs really nicely, its a shame you cant map the game buttons :( you have to use O and P

That's what I don't like about touchscreen OS...

I love Peggle, I play it with my girlfriend on the XBox360 and am currently playing through the challenges.

Now I tried the Android version - which only has touchscreen controls.

It's nigh impossible to accurately move your cannon... it's a real shame. The game is good, but controls are awful... I got a nice DPad in front of me and can't use it!

About slow loading speeds:

How slow is your SD Card?

Back