android on pandora

I don't see either the point in an OFFICIAL android port. But hey! Nothing stops anybody for working on an unofficial port, same as with the gentoo team. That would be great!
Once OPT has a stockpile of Pandoras it may be benificial for them to offer Android ready Pandoras. I think a lot of average, high street consumers may be scared of Linux, so offering them an OS they're already familiar with from their mobile may make it more general public friendly.

I know there's already the mini-menu, but at the moment it's known as a Linux device. Marketing it as an Android device may gain them new customers.

I don't mean replace the current OS (I don't want that!), just offer an alternative for a different crowd.

As I say, Once OPT has a stockpile of Pandoras, i.e. sometime in the future :)

You did . I read your post. You added once and "I think a lot of average, high street consumers may be scared of Linux, so offering them an OS they're already familiar with from their mobile may make it more general public friendly."

I know there's already the mini-menu, but at the moment it's known as a Linux device. Marketing it as an Android device may gain them new customers.
It's not realistic to even think about that. Do you know the amount of work that would need, honestly, and how busy the team is now, all having their own job except Craig being the only one who only has this for a living, and the work that is currently spent just to make the current operating system work as it should? Not much specialized workforce either for doing low level stuff, less than the fingers of a hand.

And besides, without gps, accelerometer and phone capabilities it would be a very crippled android device for marketing it like one, and the possible buyers wouldnt be the target audience for it, they would prefer to buy the latest phone with Android with more powerful hardware than the Pandora that are already out. ¿So what would be the point? OPT are doing well, and in Spain we have a saying "quien mucho abarca poco aprieta" (you shouldn't bite off more than you can chew). I can see this discussion only as just a wild dream, seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh absolutely. In no way was I suggesting they actually do this now, or even necessarily anytime in the future. I was just speculating as to why it may be worth doing from OPT's point of view. Craig started a thread about switching to Android once, so the thought has obviously occurred to him.

Just chucking ideas around for a thearetical future, is all.

I personally couldn't care less if Android's on the Pandora or not, by the way :)

I'm watching you Tickles-_-

:lol:

the good thing about having 2 devices running android, all your purchases follow you and are installable on anything that has your account bound to it and no need to repurchase the same app twice. also your personalized OS settings (wifi hotspots, wallpaper, installed apps etc etc) are all backed up and synced with your devices, address books and calendars and whatnot are all in the cloud so they also sync with your gmail account too. I personally enjoy being able to pick up either of my android phones and know everything is the same on either phone if I want it to be. (feature, not a standard)
Good feature. It's a shame that all phones can't do that :)

I always said that the phone credit you buy should be transferable to other phones too. Why not if you own it?

I'd tinker with Android but I've never used anything that runs it yet so I have no idea if it would be a good fit for the Pandora or not.

Good feature. It's a shame that all phones can't do that :)

I always said that the phone credit you buy should be transferable to other phones too. Why not if you own it?

I'd tinker with Android but I've never used anything that runs it yet so I have no idea if it would be a good fit for the Pandora or not.
yea it's a 1up on the iphone they don't really mention a whole lot, but it's a really great feature if you can use it.

Android os was designed specifically for being used on a handheld, everything about the gui is meant for small screens, and touch navigation. windows gui and x desktop aren't designed around touch screens or small screens, allowing for a stylus is just using a tool to simulate a mouse for what the default guis are designed for.

I'm sure alot of you can respect the difference in a project that was designed to do one thing and getting it to work on within a set of restrictions, and running something on what it was designed to run on..... The feel of running a emulator as opposed to running the console it's self. ;)

mini menu will probally be and is totally touch friendly, but you can do so much more with android's touch interface as far as ease of customization. Same can be said for X is 1up on android in customization but again it isn't meant to be touch friendly. But you really can do a whole lot with android's gui if you know really what you're doing. The linux customization runs deep in android.. just fyi for those diehard linux guys who are against it but haven't really ran it at all or for more than a day or two. It's what you look down on windows users for, just get used to it.... it's just not something you're used to but it's open and it's all good. Learning a new OS might not be something you're particularly wanting to do, but it's very satisfying if you take the plunge. Sorry for the rant and going O/T

But anyway, if you can work out the kinks with the added controls, it would find an absolutely perfect fit on the pandora, being a very well versed android user (after being swayed to it from someone on this board several years ago belive it or not ;) I've come to love it to the point of fanboyism but it's not the fanboy in me that says it would fit... I'm just looking at the two systems and saying... "wow that's just the obvious answer to combine the two here.... why doesn't anyone else see it?" It doesn't matter though.. when it does gets ported, give it a shot, you will see... mark my words.

I've never even touched Android, but I can't imagine it would be better than the current OS (which, to be fair, I haven't touched either :p ).

I might try an Android phone next time I get one, but that's not going to be for a while: I'm slowly falling in love with my first Blackberry now...

I've never even touched Android, but I can't imagine it would be better than the current OS (which, to be fair, I haven't touched either :p ).

I might try an Android phone next time I get one, but that's not going to be for a while: I'm slowly falling in love with my first Blackberry now...

Tickles I can't believe you couldn't detect the sarcasm in my statement.

I was more replying to johnsongrantr, agreeing with your sarcasm but not endorsing it :p

sure android is better than Linux:eek: (I'm being defiantly not sarcastic at all)
android is basically just another linux distro

I would say android is better than x for touch navigation, i welcome any challenges to that statement

android is more then just a gui obviously, but just as a touch navigation gui it's better IMO

@tickles blackberry does emails and messaging perfectly, if anything business is what you want then blackberry is where it's at, as far as multimedia device or gaming... any kind of consumer social networking phone... i would say blackberry sadly falls in the lamest of all smartphones category. I did love my blackberry curve a whole lot while I had it... but I moved on

android kinda gives you a mix of all the other phones out there, it's like 1/3 winmo 1/3 blackberry 1/3 iphone.... add a dash of webOS and you got android.

I'm getting ready to head in for the night, but I wanted to support that last statement a bit before the flames be a'commin

iphone- multimedia and games, webkit browser, touch friendly interface

blackberry- exchange push emails, gmail push emails, multiple email accounts threaded messageing

winmo- 3rd party installation channels, backwards compatibility within versions, multitasking

webos- synergy unified contact syncing and updates (cloud data syncing of facebook/twitter/myspace/contacts)

Is touch navigation with a finger that important? Besides using a finger we have a stylus, and the nubs for navigation. Seems that it would not be worth the effort , just so we can have a better gui and some apps. We already have multiple guis and if i'm not mistaken dflemstr was working on a flexible gui called panorama. http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51076-panorama/

The apps doesn't seem that big of a deal because we have lots of apps already and there are thousands of linux apps that would fill in the gaps.

Back