android on pandora

If you get people to really understand the idea behind the project and they like it, they won't think it's bad that it's running Linux and won't be scared either.

The Pandora is not just another commercial gaming console. So don't make it look like being one!
I think you may have misunderstood my thinking. I've never said Android should replace Linux as the main OS. I think that would be a very bad move. All I'm saying is it wouldn't hurt, at some time in the future, to look at the possibility of offering some Pandora with Android pre-installed.

Once they have their unit, there's nothing to stop them flashing it to Linux, which they're likely to do if they start hanging around these forums anyway. OPT could even chuck an sd card with Linux installed in the box so they can try it out.

I'm looking at Android as a marketing tool, nothing more. A different type of bait to catch a different kind of fish. I want OPT to be as successful as possible, I think they deserve it after the last 2 years. But at the end of the day I don't really care about this idea(that's all it was!) or Android. As long as I have my Pandora running Linux, I'm happy :)

I'm looking at Android as a marketing tool, nothing more. A different type of bait to catch a different kind of fish. I want OPT to be as successful as possible, I think they deserve it after the last 2 years.
At the moment OpenPandora has more demand than they can handle from people who only want Linux.

I see lots of ideas for getting more exposure and free marketing for the Pandora on the forums.

But until they actually have the capacity to fulfil any of the potential orders it creates, most of them would be a waste of time.

Not that it's a bad idea, just a bad idea at the moment.

I however only see the pandora as a handheld that has gaming controls, keyboard, and can technically run android and would run it well from a platform perspective.
I don't think it would run it well from a platform perspective.

Android, and its applications, are designed for a particular form factor and layout of device, and the Pandora is not it.

The relatively awkward touchscreen for thumb usage, means the many games using that would be difficult.

The lack of an accelerometer eliminates a whole other category of games too.

And most other Android devices have little more than a low quality D-pad, so not many games would make use of the Pandora's gaming controls.

I'm not going to say it shouldn't be done, I just don't think it would be as practical as you imagine.

I don't think it would run it well from a platform perspective.
Android, and its applications, are designed for a particular form factor and layout of device, and the Pandora is not it.

The relatively awkward touchscreen for thumb usage, means the many games using that would be difficult.

The lack of an accelerometer eliminates a whole other category of games too.

And most other Android devices have little more than a low quality D-pad, so not many games would make use of the Pandora's gaming controls.

I'm not going to say it shouldn't be done, I just don't think it would be as practical as you imagine.
i have a samnsung epic and running it via only hardware keyboard & in landscape, there are some apps that generally don't like to be in landscape, but most do. There are very few games out there and basically no non-game that only uses the touchscreen, and basically everything will allow for trackball or arrow keys input. If a game doesn't support it, just ask them and they will useally abide to your wishes. I asked the developers to my favorite game zenonia to allow trackball input and about 2 weeks later it was in the game =D after asking in the android forums, allowing for either 1)landscape veiwing or 2 physical keyboard support as opposed to only onscreen keyboard is really only 1 or 2 lines of code that either have to be added or modified in the entire application if it is written correctly. accellorometer only games are truely gimicey games, and useally in the settings of the game there is an option to choose the input method. Alot of people don't like using the accelerometer for input so the developer will write in an alternate input method (if not just ask them to, each app developer has their point of contact either email, message, phone or all 3 if they want =D)

all i'm saying is, there's enough android phones with trackballs and physical keyboards(moto droid, htc g1, htc mt3g slide etc etc) that alot of app developers cater to those with physical controls and landscape viewing, and google obviously has thought about that when creating their core apps and interface. So I say agian... it really would run great if done correctly.

edit: and I just thought about something about that big post from yesterday, saying having a mainstream os is restricting the community to want to own it because of it's uniqueness? How about the iphone homebrew community, they are at least 1000x bigger than we are, and that is the most un-unique device known to man. Nothing makes the iphone hardware special other than the fact everyone owns one. You bring in interest from the mainstream and your underground community will grow... bottom line... just think about it, it's just numbers game of stupid end users to developers ratio, you have it with any system. I can see not having a working android port to avoid a flood of people wanting it, but once a solid manufacturing process begins and they are looking to sell mass quanities of pandoras a solid port of android WILL bring TONS of customers.... android may not be as popular in your area of the world but in america (people don't mind spending 300+ on a mobile device... android phones run 500-600 usd without the discounts) it's by far the newest craze... some people will buy anything that has that little green robot anywhere on it.

http://shop.sprint.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPhones?INTNAV=ATG:HE:phones

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhonesByFeatures&capId=142&deviceType=Phones

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/Default.aspx?features=48CC3997-D234-4683-8B5A-F026B9DB5528&WT.z_unav=mst_shop_phones_android

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/pda-phones-smartphones.jsp <--- at&t sucks

Last edited by a moderator:
First and foremost: I support 100% community efforts to port everything to the Pandora, OS's included. Making more choices available for the Pandora owner is - imho anyways - what the Pandora is all about. All those other devices, it's an uphill battle to do anything other than specifically what the developer wants. After all, how many smartphones and such willingly allow the user root access to the filesystem?

With that being said, I think the largest overall gain from Android on the Pandora is a better touch interface. This is certainly noteworthy, but another approach to this would be working towards a better touch-based desktop instead of/for XFCE while still running the normal angstrom linux. I'm not sure what's available right now, but I'd imagine there has to be a couple projects underway in that direction in the linux world. Touchscreens are becoming very common these days, after all.

I just thought about something about that big post from yesterday, saying having a mainstream os is restricting the community to want to own it because of it's uniqueness? How about the iphone homebrew community, they are at least 1000x bigger than we are, and that is the most un-unique device known to man.
I think we're having different definitions of unique here. The iPhone is unique - Apple doesn't offer any Android either. Actually, Apple is one of the best examples (probably THE example) for success through not giving users the obvious, unless it has been fully questioned, enhanced or even reimplemented in an uncommon way.

I wrote about the iPhone in the first link I provided (the google translated one).

Nothing makes the iphone hardware special other than the fact everyone owns one.
And everyone owns one because it was VERY special once. Right after the iPhone was released, even mainstream users got the idea behind the device, saw that it's unlike other mobile phones and understood how to use it. But it wasn't actually intuitive, everyone just thought it was. If you hadn't been taught by Apple (or someone else) to pinch your fingers to zoom, you may never have found out, because it was something totally uncommon. Apple did a great job on changing the way most smartphones work today. Without the iPhone, Android most definitely wouldn't be the way it is today.

In the same way, by spending effort on making the Pandora Angström a good experience, the argument of Android being more usable and "hip" can be made void.

You bring in interest from the mainstream and your underground community will grow... bottom line... just think about it, it's just numbers game of stupid end users to developers ratio, you have it with any system.
If the mainstream grows, the underground community may grow because more future underground community members will hear of the product. An underground community by definition doesn't have the same needs the mainstream has.

I can see not having a working android port to avoid a flood of people wanting it, but once a solid manufacturing process begins and they are looking to sell mass quanities of pandoras a solid port of android WILL bring TONS of customers....
I guess I did not express myself clear enough here, sorry. It's not that I think no one would buy an Android Pandora. It's just that mainstream people buying a Pandora will probably be mightily unimpressed by the device. When using it they'd probably experience that it's "another Android device" with

special gaming controls. As has been mentioned before, this doesn't mean that most Android software might not run pretty well on the Pandora. However, it makes the Pandora more of a "casual machine". Some of the mainstream people that don't care about how the Pandora works might just think that another Android device without the gaming controls but with an integrated phone function and a smaller form factor would have been better for them. After all, that's the kind of device most Android software is being developed for, so it works pretty decent on these kinds of devices (decent enough for mainstream users). And so their negative word-by-mouth would spread, saying that buying an Android phone might be better.

The problem is that users that are TOO mainstream and don't care about the backgrounds would complain that Pandora with Android is similar to any Android phone, just not as portable and without the phone. That's what the kind of person that doesn't see (or isn't taught) the backgrounds and possibilities of the Pandora would see. By using Android as an official OS and offering it pre-installed, you would end up attracting this kind of person. In the beginning, it would be good since the number of sold Pandoras would probably rise at first, but in the long term it's very dangerous.

Of course, they'd also complain about the current Angström system. But it's much better to improve that wherever necessary than to use Android.

And in the end, the Pandora is about giving people some form of freedom. In my opinion, even Craig is better off by NOT focusing on trying to increase sales, but instead focusing on trying to improve the Pandora. Because done right, that does also increase sales - long term.

Personally, I only release something when it's good enough so that I'd want to use it myself. I would never advertise something that's not worth of being advertised, because otherwise people would no longer trust me as much (and rightfully so). That way, they would no longer believe me when I'm talking about features that are indeed incredibly great. Actually, that's much like the way Steve Jobs does it - he once said that Apple wouldn't sell any netbooks anytime soon, because he didn't know how to make a netbook at a netbook price that is not crap. In other words, he did not want to try to sell people something that he knew would be crap. And that's why many people believe that something big is around the corner when a new Apple product is leaking (remember the rumors and hype around the iPad prior to its introduction?). He has a reputation, he's not the typical evil company boss.

The idea behind all this is that more doesn't necessarily mean better. A nice example for this is the Opera browser. When Opera Software stopped trying to primarily market it via its vast amount of built-in features, it became more popular. The features were still there, but they had no longer thrown them into the users face and instead relied on the users taking the initiative. In a similar way, Android as a community project would be a great thing to get new customers (and a nice thing overall, of course). I wrote about this in the automatically translated link, too.

android may not be as popular in your area of the world but in america (people don't mind spending 300+ on a mobile device... android phones run 500-600 usd without the discounts) it's by far the newest craze... some people will buy anything that has that little green robot anywhere on it.
Indeed, most people in Germany tend to compare and like whatever is best for them instead of wanting what's the latest craze. Even though most phones are much more heavily subsidized here than they are in, say, the US.

I don't really see having Android - either as a main OS, or a port - as being a draw for Pandora at all.

Nothing to do with it being good or not, or what have you. Truly mainstream users don't buy a phone because it has Android, they buy it because it's the shiniest smartphone their carrier supports, or is the newest-shiniest to be advertised. Mainstream smartphone consumers are woefully ignorant of what they are buying, and what their options outside of the particular carrier's store are. People who actually shop around devices running Android are definitely a smaller set of customers.

In addition, as Chris said the bulk of those people are looking for a smartphone, and the Pandy even running Android is a poor substitute. No (practical) phone option, no 3G, larger form factor. It's a very niche device that simply won't appeal to your mainstream consumer as it is, regardless of OS.

@Christoph.Krn, @Wintersdark, I think you may have a point.

To continue my analogy of Android being a different type of bait to catch a different kind of fish: maybe it's not worthwhile catching that kind of fish.

Well, I just started playing with my android Toshiba netbook, and the OS does seem very wrong for a device with a keyboard (this is not touch screen, but judging from my pandora use, I split 60/40 in favour of using the nubs or keyboard shortcuts). From the vendor point of view, things are a bit incomplete (they bundle several Toshiba specific apps), and there isn't even anything like a battery time remaining widget. I really feel the need to get a different OS loaded at the moment (although I guess I might get used to it, and I do like the device.)

Well, I just started playing with my android Toshiba netbook, and the OS does seem very wrong for a device with a keyboard (this is not touch screen, but judging from my pandora use, I split 60/40 in favour of using the nubs or keyboard shortcuts). From the vendor point of view, things are a bit incomplete (they bundle several Toshiba specific apps), and there isn't even anything like a battery time remaining widget. I really feel the need to get a different OS loaded at the moment (although I guess I might get used to it, and I do like the device.)
I have a android device with a keyboard, 4th android device, 1st with keyboard... the keyboard is not the problem at all, I'd say, if anything, it makes the experience better... i can however see the frustration of it being the only input it being maddening.

if you have a mouse, I think that's what would make it so weird, android wasn't designed to be a mouse driven OS, kind of like how mouse driven os's aren't meant to be ran with a touch screen *cough cough* it was designed for a touchscreen + limited trackball directional pad (ie blackberry navigation) and the first android phone ever had a physical keyboard, but still works just fine if all you have is a touchscreen

android on a non-touchscreen device is horrible, run android in a virtual environment on a regular computer to see what I'm talking about. Not to discredit your opinion, but until you try it with a touchscreen as your main form of input... it's not even close to being the same thing. It's kinda unfair to judge the OS that way. It's like me saying.... I ran linux on my ipod... didn't enjoy it, linux sucks... went back to stock. iPod obviously doesn't have the proper interface to get the full enjoyment out of the OS.

Until you get a *decent* market on the it either by legit or less than legit means, the software selection in the 3rd party markets aren't really that good. official market(hacked or otherwise) would give you a decent battery widget of course (lots to choose from) among tons and tons of other things. I can see where you'd want to drop it if that's all you had to play with was what came stock. That's like ripping a network card and cd rom out of a laptop... enjoy the bloatware that came with your laptop.... very very boo. If you know how to get the .apk backups from elsewhere on the net there are literally tons and tons of applications that aren't protected that can be gotten for free just not via the "market" because the developer just either didn't choose to publish their app on that vendor or didn't know they existed.

I think we're having different definitions of unique here. The iPhone is unique - Apple doesn't offer any Android either. Actually, Apple is one of the best examples (probably THE example) for success through not giving users the obvious, unless it has been fully questioned, enhanced or even reimplemented in an uncommon way.
ununique in the way that everyone owns one, and that everyone tries to emulate it, hence the next thing you quoted me on... iphone hardware is not special... it's just a touchscreen basically.. the OS obviously is only as good as the programmer, the pandora is special in that there isn't anything with gaming controls and a keyboard that handheld and capable of running android.... show me one device that would work and I'll be gone tomorrow...

please... no seriously... please... I don't like linux as much as you probably don't like android... probably more-so

In the same way, by spending effort on making the Pandora Angström a good experience, the argument of Android being more usable and "hip" can be made void.

If the mainstream grows, the underground community may grow because more future underground community members will hear of the product. An underground community by definition doesn't have the same needs the mainstream has.

I guess I did not express myself clear enough here, sorry. It's not that I think no one would buy an Android Pandora. It's just that mainstream people buying a Pandora will probably be mightily unimpressed by the device. When using it they'd probably experience that it's "another Android device" with

special gaming controls.
multiboot... seperate os's... android only needs to be ported once to see if it finds end-users to want to run it... if someone was able to do a quick and dirty port in their spare time as a proof of concept, a decent port couldn't be that hard once the initial kernel porting is done, alot of people know how to cut and paste code to get something to work... hell I've done it before... but it's the groundwork that someone needs to set to get the ball rolling.... but those that know how to do it just don't care TO do it or don't have enough time apparently. That is what frustrates me. I can honestly see another year go by before someone finally gets around to it... or it might never happen at all... based solely on principal.

As has been mentioned before, this doesn't mean that most Android software might not run pretty well on the Pandora. However, it makes the Pandora more of a "casual machine". Some of the mainstream people that don't care about how the Pandora works might just think that another Android device without the gaming controls but with an integrated phone function and a smaller form factor would have been better for them. After all, that's the kind of device most Android software is being developed for, so it works pretty decent on these kinds of devices (decent enough for mainstream users). And so their negative word-by-mouth would spread, saying that buying an Android phone might be better.
if an android device had decent gaming controls... point me in that direction... Odroid sucks... bad.. don't gotta be a big selection.... just 1 good alternative

The problem is that users that are TOO mainstream and don't care about the backgrounds would complain that Pandora with Android is similar to any Android phone, just not as portable and without the phone. That's what the kind of person that doesn't see (or isn't taught) the backgrounds and possibilities of the Pandora would see. By using Android as an official OS and offering it pre-installed, you would end up attracting this kind of person. In the beginning, it would be good since the number of sold Pandoras would probably rise at first, but in the long term it's very dangerous.
don't fool yourself into thinking this will compete agianst a nintendo ds or something... it's going to be geared for those who know what emulators are at least... end users aren't all slobbering idiots that only understand how to mash buttons and complain... anyone that hears about the pandora would more than likely know enough about gadgets to negotiate around a clunky port of the OS. At least untill it attracted more tinker'ers to make the port better.

Of course, they'd also complain about the current Angström system. But it's much better to improve that wherever necessary than to use Android.

And in the end, the Pandora is about giving people some form of freedom. In my opinion, even Craig is better off by NOT focusing on trying to increase sales, but instead focusing on trying to improve the Pandora. Because done right, that does also increase sales - long term.
to be honest, I'm tired of waiting after 2 years... I ask for one thing and all I get is negitivity... I truely want to give up my order and move to another platform because I honestly see android evolving much much quicker in the last 2 years than the Pandora has. Eventually I think someone will get the right idea and do a decent gaming android... That's all I'm waiting on. I'll try not and say told ya so if it ever does happen.

Personally, I only release something when it's good enough so that I'd want to use it myself. I would never advertise something that's not worth of being advertised, because otherwise people would no longer trust me as much (and rightfully so). That way, they would no longer believe me when I'm talking about features that are indeed incredibly great. Actually, that's much like the way Steve Jobs does it - he once said that Apple wouldn't sell any netbooks anytime soon, because he didn't know how to make a netbook at a netbook price that is not crap. In other words, he did not want to try to sell people something that he knew would be crap. And that's why many people believe that something big is around the corner when a new Apple product is leaking (remember the rumors and hype around the iPad prior to its introduction?). He has a reputation, he's not the typical evil company boss.

The idea behind all this is that more doesn't necessarily mean better. A nice example for this is the Opera browser. When Opera Software stopped trying to primarily market it via its vast amount of built-in features, it became more popular. The features were still there, but they had no longer thrown them into the users face and instead relied on the users taking the initiative. In a similar way, Android as a community project would be a great thing to get new customers (and a nice thing overall, of course). I wrote about this in the automatically translated link, too.

Indeed, most people in Germany tend to compare and like whatever is best for them instead of wanting what's the latest craze. Even though most phones are much more heavily subsidized here than they are in, say, the US.
more people is better when it comes to open source software, plain and simple, more people willing to test, more people to contribute..... even if it attracts 10 developers skilled enough to work on a kernel... that's probably more than the number that's working on it now right?

but no number of arguments are going to change your mind on this... so these are waisted words, I'm basically only here to vent at this point because if someone was going to do the port, they would have either 1)done so already.. or 2) said something about it....

so this is just pointless discussion unless I'm trying to talk you into porting this

@johnsongrantr Sorry to go off topic for just a moment, but has ED gradually morphed into a Panda in your avatar? Wasn't it just the head before or am I imagining things? :huh:

ntil you get a *decent* market on the it either by legit or less than legit means, the software selection in the 3rd party markets aren't really that good. official market(hacked or otherwise) would give you a decent battery widget of course (lots to choose from) among tons and tons of other things. I can see where you'd want to drop it if that's all you had to play with was what came stock. That's like ripping a network card and cd rom out of a laptop... enjoy the bloatware that came with your laptop.... very very boo. If you know how to get the .apk backups from elsewhere on the net there are literally tons and tons of applications that aren't protected that can be gotten for free just not via the "market" because the developer just either didn't choose to publish their app on that vendor or didn't know they existed.
Working on it - I have system panel and juice plotter (system panel archives the apps on my phone for me). and K9. I agree that touch screen would help, but I was shocked how many small things are not right (like screen layouts, portrait only dialogues, no google apps). For me, it seems OK, but it is certainly not a 'non-dev' friendly offering at the moment (although I'm confident it will improve).

multiboot... seperate os's... android only needs to be ported once to see if it finds end-users to want to run it... if someone was able to do a quick and dirty port in their spare time as a proof of concept, a decent port couldn't be that hard once the initial kernel porting is done, alot of people know how to cut and paste code to get something to work... hell I've done it before... but it's the groundwork that someone needs to set to get the ball rolling.... but those that know how to do it just don't care TO do it or don't have enough time apparently. That is what frustrates me. I can honestly see another year go by before someone finally gets around to it... or it might never happen at all... based solely on principal.
It's nothing to do with "principle". What you're asking for is a lot of work.

No one really even knows how much work would be involved in porting Android.

Various people have posted why they don't think it would work very well, some of them are devs.

Others would much rather work on something for the existing OS.

You can't just expect a dev to appear and make a commitment to an uncertain amount of work on something they're not sure is beneficial just because you like Android.

Maybe a dev who likes Android will at some point, but unless you're going to do it yourself, just be patient and stop complaining.

If you want to argue about whether it's a good idea, that's fine.

But now you're just whining that people won't go out of our way to help you.

Sorry if I'm being harsh, but I'm kind of getting tired of your attitude.

It's nothing to do with "principle". What you're asking for is a lot of work.

No one really even knows how much work would be involved in porting Android.

Various people have posted why they don't think it would work very well, some of them are devs.

Others would much rather work on something for the existing OS.

You can't just expect a dev to appear and make a commitment to an uncertain amount of work on something they're not sure is beneficial just because you like Android.

Maybe a dev who likes Android will at some point, but unless you're going to do it yourself, just be patient and stop complaining.

If you want to argue about whether it's a good idea, that's fine.

But now you're just whining that people won't go out of our way to help you.

Sorry if I'm being harsh, but I'm kind of getting tired of your attitude.

I understand it's probally alot of work, although you stated yourself nobody knows how much is involed though. But someone has done it once already and just let the project disappear, so aparently it wasn't THAT much work, that or the guy dedicated countless hours and just finally got burnt out on the project... or i donno... but my gut tells me it's not as bad as it sounds. I would have been fine tinkering around with that inital port if that guy would ever respond to pms etc... If I knew what I was doing, I would do it myself, believe me. I guarentee you I'm more frusterated about the situation than you are just reading about it.

I am not wineing, I'm venting, out of just pure frusteration... I don't give a crap if it sounds like wineing... that guy was rubbing me the wrong way, probally just the difference between our cultures, but it just seemed like he was argueing just to argue, I quit seeing arguements... just opposing viewpoints.. that's when I kinda just quit putting effort into my own rebuttle... I've seen the best of us loose their cool on multiple occasions... but I'm not forceing you to read anything I write... you are as free to move along as much as I am to quit qq'ing about the situation. If you don't like my attitude... alt + <-- there's the back button... or you can continue to bitch about me bitching.. your choice.

ununique in the way that everyone owns one [iPhone' date= Christoph.K], and that everyone tries to emulate it, hence the next thing you quoted me on... iphone hardware is not special... it's just a touchscreen basically.. the OS obviously is only as good as the programmer, [...]
You are right in that the hardware of the iPhone isn't very special (except that high quality materials are used and it was the first product on market with a multi-touch screen), and I don't question that a bit. But in the end, Apple is a software company (you can hear Steve Jobs say that occasionally). You see... before the iPhone was released, no other phone company used touchscreens the way Apple did. "Kinetic scrolling? Hassle-free zooming? Actually making touchscreens compatible with the customers' fingers? What is that?". Right after it was released, the iPhone was as unique as a phone still compatible to most other phone's functions could possibly be. It was so unique, it

And at this point, I suddenly realized that - for whatever reason - you must not have gotten my point at all. So, let's see what you wrote quite a few hours later...

I am not wineing' date=' I'm venting, out of just pure frusteration... I don't give a crap if it sounds like wineing... that guy was rubbing me the wrong way, probally just the difference between our cultures, but it just seemed like he was argueing just to argue, I quit seeing arguements... just opposing viewpoints.. that's when I kinda just quit putting effort into my own rebuttle... [...']
No offense, but - I'm actually trying to explain to you, /precisely/, why I don't think Android as an official OS (either as main OS or secondary OS) would be a GOOD THING, because /you asked people to/. I don't like sounding like a jerk, and I fully understood that you feel anger about there not being an Android device with decent built-in gaming controls, but please - if you don't really want to talk to me about this any longer or think that I'm being to verbose, then just tell me that I'm a stupid, sick whatever and for heaven's sake, don't waste my time. Thanks a lot.

In case you haven't noticed yet, this is NOT the way to convince ANYBODY to do ANYTHING.

You are right in that the hardware of the iPhone isn't very special (except that high quality materials are used and it was the first product on market with a multi-touch screen), and I don't question that a bit. But in the end, Apple is a software company (you can hear Steve Jobs say that occasionally). You see... before the iPhone was released, no other phone company used touchscreens the way Apple did. "Kinetic scrolling? Hassle-free zooming? Actually making touchscreens compatible with the customers' fingers? What is that?". Right after it was released, the iPhone was as unique as a phone still compatible to most other phone's functions could possibly be. It was so unique, it

And at this point, I suddenly realized that - for whatever reason - you must not have gotten my point at all. So, let's see what you wrote quite a few hours later...

No offense, but - I'm actually trying to explain to you, /precisely/, why I don't think Android as an official OS (either as main OS or secondary OS) would be a GOOD THING, because /you asked people to/. I don't like sounding like a jerk, and I fully understood that you feel anger about there not being an Android device with decent built-in gaming controls, but please - if you don't really want to talk to me about this any longer or think that I'm being to verbose, then just tell me that I'm a stupid, sick whatever and for heaven's sake, don't waste my time. Thanks a lot.

In case you haven't noticed yet, this is NOT the way to convince ANYBODY to do ANYTHING.

i shouldn't even be replying to this... momma always said if you don't got anything nice to say... don't say anything at all...

anyway, don't like the condescending tone of your reply, I understand exactly what you said... but nothing that you're spouting is convincing me that it is a good or bad idea, no arguments... just you basically feel different about android... on a almost spiritual level, nothing about how it would or wouldn't work... you're comming off as you want to argue with me, and you think android is piece of crap rip off of another os, don't waist your time. I understand you don't like it. And if history is a lesson at all here's a good little read on why I don't care at all that leaning on other's ideas sometimes equals success http://www.techmynd.com/microsoft-apple-ibm-antitrust-and-pirates-of-silicon-valley/

can you please quote me on where I asked for anyone's opinion on this? I checked the post you linked, but nowhere in that post does it say... lets discuss if this was a good idea or not.

I was in more or less words asking someone to re-consider porting it, because at the last I had checked... there still wasn't anyone working on it. Nowhere did I say. "please tell me agian why this is a bad idea" if anything I asked "why won't this work?" from a technical perspective... nobody has given an answer. Windows, OSX, any other piece of crap closed source software I've seen talked into the ground on why it can't be done... now something popular... something more than just some app from the 90's that everyone grew up with.... something new that CAN be done.... nobody wants to do it. On top of that... there are some (ie yourself) that are against it entirely... you are one of the naysayers I was talking about.

talk someone into something? I'll start a bounty for the first flash-able image of android 2.1+ on the pandora... I'm looking for it to boot.. either nand or sd and most of the important I/O hardware to work (touchscreen or keyboard + screen + wifi)

I got $50 USD in the kitty for what I'm asking for

Sigh. I for one can't find any condescending tone anywhere in Christoph.Krn's posting. I believe you're reading something into it which is simply not there.

and

can you please quote me on where I asked for anyone's opinion on this?
Posting something on a board _is_ implicitly asking about anyone's opinion, the way I see it.
Anyway, I'll stay out of this I think.

Back