android on pandora

Sigh. I for one can't find any condescending tone anywhere in Christoph.Krn's posting. I believe you're reading something into it which is simply not there.

and

Posting something on a board _is_ implicitly asking about anyone's opinion, the way I see it.

Anyway, I'll stay out of this I think.
the way I'm reading his post, it sounds like he's making it seem like he's talking to a moron... that's condecending in my book, it might be just be I'm making a mountian out of a mole hill.. if so I appologize for the remark about it sounding condecending.

I'm not asking for anyone's opinion by posting, but everyone is free to give it, as much as anyone putting a add in the clasifieds... Call the guy up selling that truck and tell him you think that brand sucks and he should just leave it at the side of the road. I was and still am just asking for someone to do it, that's all.

EDIT: I've been thinking, I can't think of anywhere other than in this forum to ask for this port. Is there a better place I'm just not seeing? I know where I would take this port to get it worked on in addition to working on it myself... but I know of no other good place to start with this than right here.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: I've been thinking, I can't think of anywhere other than in this forum to ask for this port.
I don't think you asking for a port has much weight. It's not in the same class as 'download, ./configure & make, pnd' which allows a trivial port of most of the apps which are currently available. Android will come about through a dev being sufficiently motivated (the idea is fairly obvious). I would not expect much interest before android 3.0 appears (later this year?) since that would probably be a more sensible port. Pestering the devs is also likely to be counterproductive.

i shouldn't even be replying to this... momma always said if you don't got anything nice to say... don't say anything at all...

anyway, don't like the condescending tone of your reply, I understand exactly what you said... [...]
No, that's perfectly okay. I guess all this is indeed caused by cultural differences. In Germany, it is quite common to actually tell the other whenever you might not be able to do something, or whenever you think that someone else is doing something wrong. Seen from an American perspective, Germans tend to complain all the time. But that's for a reason, because in the end it's better for everyone. Actually, I meant to help you with my previous post, so that you are able to head your request into the right direction (as opposed to me not writing anything at all anymore because you stopped being productive).

the way I'm reading his post, it sounds like he's making it seem like he's talking to a moron... that's condecending in my book, it might be just be I'm making a mountian out of a mole hill.. if so I appologize for the remark about it sounding condecending.
I'm sorry for that, it wasn't my intention to imply that anyone reading it is stupid. I'm just trying to make my posts idiot-proof, because leaving much room for interpretation is not particularly efficient when trying to explain something. In addition, I generally don't trade (clarity and potential benefit for people reading) for (comfort for me) so that I can be lazy, as I despise laziness.

[...] nothing that you're spouting is convincing me that it is a good or bad idea, no arguments... just you basically feel different about android... on a almost spiritual level, nothing about how it would or wouldn't work... [...] you think android is piece of crap rip off of another os, don't waist your time
Had you read and understood my all posts in their entirety then you'd know that I DO think that Android is "a nice thing". But not as a main OS that the Pandora is actively being advertised and/or offered with.

I most certainly won't port it because I don't like Android too much. However, I know that both, being a fanboy of something and hating something to death, is just plain stupid. For instance, I have good reasons to hate the Playstation Portable, but I'm aware that this doesn't mean that the potential successors must also be bad (also, I'm using a Sony Walkman (no, not that cassette player, they name their current MP3 players "Walkman" too) as my main music player).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got $50 USD in the kitty for what I'm asking for
Well, as tsh said it's (probably, I haven't had any look at this at all) not that easy to make a stable, fully working Android for the Pandora. Besides, presumably no Pandora hacker would do this for money (or at least not go into that big amount of potential hassle for so little as a fixed 50$, and - I guess unlike you believe - a first running version is not an indicator for how much work is needed to make everything work fine), because there currently are many interesting things to do around the Pandora. Android currently is not exactly fitting the Pandora as good as the custom Angstrom is. You will have to bring in good arguments to actually convince somebody to start porting Android soon.

Writing that you just want to vent instead of seriously discussing is not particularly helpful in this regard.

I asked "why won't this work?" from a technical perspective... nobody has given an answer. Windows, OSX, any other piece of crap closed source software I've seen talked into the ground on why it can't be done... now something popular... something more than just some app from the 90's that everyone grew up with.... something new that CAN be done.... nobody wants to do it.
From a technical perspective, it would most certainly be possible to make it run nicely, and that's why so few are talking about it being technically possible or not. But as you said, that doesn't really matter right now, as currently nobody (publicly) attempts to do it.

EDIT: I've been thinking, I can't think of anywhere other than in this forum to ask for this port. Is there a better place I'm just not seeing? I know where I would take this port to get it worked on in addition to working on it myself... but I know of no other good place to start with this than right here.
Here's a (incomplete) list of things you can do to make the right people actually pay attention to your request:

• Show that you also are willing to put effort into this (e.g. by discussing productively; As opposed to just wanting others to do the work for you) and, even more importantly, bring good arguments for why it's important to port Android soon.
  • Learn how to do it yourself (you obviously already are paying attention to your own request, so make yourself the right person)
  • Hire a software developer

Other than that, I think you might benefit (not only on this topic) from reading The Jargon File to better understand this hackerish way of thinking.

Here's a (incomplete) list of things you can do to make the right people actually pay attention to your request:

• Show that you also are willing to put effort into this (e.g. by discussing productively; As opposed to just wanting others to do the work for you) and, even more importantly, bring good arguments for why it's important to port Android soon.
  • Learn how to do it yourself (you obviously already are paying attention to your own request, so make yourself the right person)
  • Hire a software developer

Other than that, I think you might benefit (not only on this topic) from reading The Jargon File to better understand this hackerish way of thinking.
1)I am willing to help of course, as I said before I understand the android half works fairly well and could probably get it to run pretty decently for anyone wanting to use it... if someone could just get it to boot for me... lets say you're a pretty good carpenter, but the house you're building has no foundation, you have no clue how to pour cement, nor do you have any... all you got is pictures of cement... would you say that guy could build houses? (i know... learn how to do what you don't know how) Butttt....

2)I have tried to port in the past, it kept erroring out when I went to "make", I have spent countless hours (100+) reading how to compile from source, following guides, researching the errors I was getting and everything I have tried has failed, and when I asked for help, even with attached error messages, nothing was given.... like I said, frustration. If someone were to say "do this, then this, then this" I would be fine.... ehh.. better off rather. Nobody can even point me in the correct direction other than google's "build from source" Even if I did get it to compile, how would I get it to boot at that point?

3)Software developer? I don't think I could afford one of those... tough luck huh?

that's what the bounty was for, start a dev fund for this, if anything an incentive to anyone that has this project on the back burner. I've seen this work in the past for other projects. I'm just asking someone to get me to where I can take over... just like the carpenter analogy.

when I asked for help, even with attached error messages, nothing was given.... like I said, frustration. If someone were to say "do this, then this, then this" I would be fine.... ehh.. better off rather. Nobody can even point me in the correct direction other than google's "build from source" Even if I did get it to compile, how would I get it to boot at that point?
I'm afraid I can't help you with this either since I don't know anything about the technical details of Android, but there are some things that are coming to my mind here.

First of all, maybe your questions weren't good enough (no offense, I obviously can't judge about this not having read any of the specific questions you mentioned). Have a look at http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html, maybe you'll find some information there that'll be useful for you.

If I were to port Android to the Pandora, I'd start looking for similar projects first, to find out what problems they had and how they solved them. A simple google search can do wonders. For example, searching for projects where Android is being ported ( http://www.google.com/search?&q=android+ported ), you get to a mailing list dedicated to porting Android. From there, you also get linked directly to https://sites.google.com/a/android.com/opensource/discuss, where you can find more mailing lists about Android development. So, you could ask for assistance there. However, if you haven't done so yet, read http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html beforehand.

I'm just asking someone to get me to where I can take over... just like the carpenter analogy.
I'm not sure where exactly the problem is with booting, so maybe http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=79 is helpful for you.

I would like to see Android on the Pandora as long as it doesn't mean, that the develepment of Angstrom for the Pandora is stoped.

But that's my (late) oppinion.

Having Android on the Pandora would be nice because i could use google voice function to make it a semi-phone if needed. And now angrybirds is out on it i would get that too. It would greatly increase the game library for the Pandora but i don't want too much time spent on developing this if the Pandora OS isn't going to get worked on.

I would like to see Android on the Pandora as long as it doesn't mean, that the develepment of Angstrom for the Pandora is stoped.

But that's my (late) oppinion.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51707-pandora-booting-android/

There is no doubt in my mind that a stable Android platform on the Pandora would put this product on the mainstream market, I dont think its a case of should it be done, but a case of it would be stupid not to. But as DJ says here, Angstrom should remain primary. Android as a dual boot option is exciting to me.

There is no doubt in my mind that a stable Android platform on the Pandora would put this product on the mainstream market, I dont think its a case of should it be done, but a case of it would be stupid not to. But as DJ says here, Angstrom should remain primary. Android as a dual boot option is exciting to me.
As was mentioned on the first page of this thread, the Pandora lacks the required hardware to be an official Android device. This alone will probably deter your typical mainstream customer. I do agree the a dual boot option wouldn't hurt the Pandora.

Nice gravedig btw. <_<

If I was going to use another OS on the Pandora, I would choose Arch over Android. There are people who say, "Windows, OSX, iOS, Android, or scram!"

android is basically just another linux distro

I would say android is better than x for touch navigation, i welcome any challenges to that statement

android is more then just a gui obviously, but just as a touch navigation gui it's better IMO
In fact, Android is not a Linux distro, even in the widest sense: Android just uses a Linux kernel to drive the hardware and a couple of tools to bootstrap the Dalvik VM. Every Android app runs on top of Dalvik, and couldn't care less about what kind of kernel is beneath that. See http://developer.android.com/guide/basics/what-is-android.html.

Problem: Android uses a modified Linux kernel to satisfy some requirements for the Dalvik environment, and Pandora uses a modified Linux kernel to support their special hardware. It's probably possible to merge these patches into a Pandroid kernel - but personally I'm with those who just don't see any use in that effort. And the reason is exactly that Android is not a Linux system in the "a open source UNIX" sense. Android uses Linux as some kind of bastard fat microkernel - that's all. I'd rather work on porting NetBSD.

In fact, Android is not a Linux distro, even in the widest sense: Android just uses a Linux kernel to drive the hardware and a couple of tools to bootstrap the Dalvik VM. Every Android app runs on top of Dalvik, and couldn't care less about what kind of kernel is beneath that. See http://developer.android.com/guide/basics/what-is-android.html.

Problem: Android uses a modified Linux kernel to satisfy some requirements for the Dalvik environment, and Pandora uses a modified Linux kernel to support their special hardware. It's probably possible to merge these patches into a Pandroid kernel - but personally I'm with those who just don't see any use in that effort. And the reason is exactly that Android is not a Linux system in the "a open source UNIX" sense. Android uses Linux as some kind of bastard fat microkernel - that's all. I'd rather work on porting NetBSD.

As long as a group distributes the linux kernel with a ui and apps then it is a distro in my books :D

Most small devices use a modified kernel, you don't want kernel bloat, why load drivers for something that really doesn't have the resources for it?

As long as a group distributes the linux kernel with a ui and apps then it is a distro in my books :D
Yeah well, that's probably a collision of a more technical view with the user perspective... For me: "Linux Distro" = "Linux kernel plus a standard set of UNIX tools" (what some people call "GNU/Linux"). And that's what Android is not: It's just a runtime for Android apps (which happens to be based on a Linux kernel).

Yeah well, that's probably a collision of a more technical view with the user perspective... For me: "Linux Distro" = "Linux kernel plus a standard set of UNIX tools" (what some people call "GNU/Linux"). And that's what Android is not: It's just a runtime for Android apps (which happens to be based on a Linux kernel).
you can put those tools back into android. They were removed as they are mostly unused and just created a way to circumvent the security systems in place.

I've seen android phones running x-windows, debian, and ubuntu after some above baseline modifications.

Open source bro, why all the hate?

My view comes from looking at the bulk of the popular distros and seeing what is common about them.

A: they are distributed by a group under a banner

B: they contain a similar subset of parts

GNU/Linux is not a distro, it is an attempt by "someone" to get some glory when the HERD didn't take off IMHO

The only reason in my book why anyone would want to say that Android isn't a Linux distro is because they want to take credit away from the kernel just in the way GNU/Linux is designed to grab limelight.

I hate to say this, as I hate the way media and the masses use the word hack instead of crack, but when people use names the way we are doing above it is about their popular meaning. Just like the term Hoover rather then vacuum cleaner, Google is synonymous with search and if android has the same effect with mobiles, I would rather people realise what drives it.

I hate to say this, as I hate the way media and the masses use the word hack instead of crack, but when people use names the way we are doing above it is about their popular meaning. Just like the term Hoover rather then vacuum cleaner, Google is synonymous with search and if android has the same effect with mobiles, I would rather people realise what drives it.

High-five for speaking my thoughts. Now I don't have to type anything.

Back