Angry Birds on Pandora?

I'm still confused about the whole Flash thing. Is it that you can't install Flash directly to the Pandora, but you can install it as part of Firefox? But then it still doesn't work well on Firefox? Why not? Confused :(

Flash somehow made it into our version of Firefox. It runs, but slowly. You have to overclock to be able to play simple games or watch Youtube videos at 240p. No real speed improvements are on the horizon until we can get the DSP working.

I love AB!!! Has anyone played AB via a resistive screen? If, yes...is it as good as with a capacitive screen?
I have played it a lot on N900, plays fine and I don't see why it wouldn't? You only miss the pinch-zoom, but that's overrated anyway.

Is the Firefox flash plugin too slow to play games with? Even with a swap file?
Pretty much. Swap file would not speed it up any. In fact, swap could potentially slow it down, but there's no reason it should be using swap. Swap speeds up Firefox in general because the cached pages become bloated and fill RAM. These pages that you aren't using right away can be swapped off to disk leaving more free RAM to the pages you are currently looking at. If you simply loaded a single tab, some game for example, there would be nothing to swap away so you wouldn't see any benefit.

Long story short: swap doesn't help flash.

I'm still confused about the whole Flash thing. Is it that you can't install Flash directly to the Pandora, but you can install it as part of Firefox? But then it still doesn't work well on Firefox? Why not? Confused :(
There is no official Flash port. Adobe has made it available for 32bit Windows, x86 Linux, and Mac. I think they may have also just recently gotten their 64bit Windows port working, maybe? Anywho, point is that Adobe, despite saying they want Flash on everything, are way behind on actually getting Flash on anything. Texas Instruments has a working prototype of a Firefox Flash plugin, but it doesn't run nearly as well as it could. Officially, to get this prototype, you need to sign up with Texas Instruments, be approved, and then download it. Unofficially, someone "made a mistake" and "accidentally" included this prototype in the most recent Firefox 4b10 PND.

That being said, there was recently an update that saw a slight improvement, especially in full screen video. No longer have to overclock to watch 240p youtube videos, and overclocking makes 320p videos much more tolerable.

Ah how I love modern tech .. runs native on a 200mhz device; but on Firefox on my 4ghz quad core, it chugs like hell, because of webgl and other slow extensions. Yay for progress ;)

jeff

Ah how I love modern tech .. runs native on a 200mhz device; but on Firefox on my 4ghz quad core, it chugs like hell, because of webgl and other slow extensions. Yay for progress ;)

jeff

I was thinking the same thing. That game could have been a 16bit game and it is unplayably slow on my modern mac. Is it bad coding or... it's just bad coding isn't it.

jeff

I was thinking the same thing. That game could have been a 16bit game and it is unplayably slow on my modern mac. Is it bad coding or... it's just bad coding isn't it.

bad coding.

no need to optimise and optimise and optimise as everything has loads of ram and cpu cycles to throw at a problem.

What is it with this mythical DSP thingy, and how would it help in this & other (emulator) circumstances given what the Wizard has said?.. is anybody any closer to discovering, deciphering, conjuring.. smashing it's atoms & re-assembling or whatever the flip has to be done in order to utilise it's magical stardust..?

As the resident Flash fan, lets not spread misinformation, folks.

Flash would run this game at a steady 120fps with no trouble, it's so simple.

This game isn't made in flash.

It is, like the title suggests, written in WebGL.

What is it with this mythical DSP thingy, and how would it help in this & other (emulator) circumstances given what the Wizard has said?.. is anybody any closer to discovering, deciphering, conjuring.. smashing it's atoms & re-assembling or whatever the flip has to be done in order to utilise it's magical stardust..?
DSP: Digital Signal Processor. A second CPU that is very good at signal in-signal out kind of code. It would make simple work of taking a video file, for example, and outputing raw video data which can be displayed to the screen. Or MP3 into raw audio data (though we're not struggling much with that) or really lots of things. Exophase has some ideas about other things done in an emulator which could be offloaded to give a bit of a boost as well, but whether any of these things will actually happen or not is a big question.

The only thing holding us back is a driver to interface with the DSP. It is available in the 2.6.37 kernel, but the Pandora only has 2.6.26. At some point in the next few months, .37 (or at least .32, to which the module can be backported) should become available, just have a bit more patience. Notaz is a brilliant kernel dev, but he's got real life as well.

DSP: Digital Signal Processor. A second CPU that is very good at signal in-signal out kind of code. It would make simple work of taking a video file, for example, and outputing raw video data which can be displayed to the screen. Or MP3 into raw audio data (though we're not struggling much with that) or really lots of things. Exophase has some ideas about other things done in an emulator which could be offloaded to give a bit of a boost as well, but whether any of these things will actually happen or not is a big question.

The only thing holding us back is a driver to interface with the DSP. It is available in the 2.6.37 kernel, but the Pandora only has 2.6.26. At some point in the next few months, .37 (or at least .32, to which the module can be backported) should become available, just have a bit more patience. Notaz is a brilliant kernel dev, but he's got real life as well.

Many thanks kind sir, i now consider mysely edificated.. (well you know what i mean)

The Palm Pre has an OMAP3430, runs a kernel way older than 2.6.26, and uses the DSP. Not that I wouldn't prefer to just run a more recent kernel instead. There's at least one feature (perf) that I would use.

Back