Angstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noisome said:
What concern? Complaints about NEEDING software when noone knows what it is going to be default anyway?
What are you talking about nobody knows what is going to be default? They just freaking said in the blog post that the default OS will be Angstrom. I don't know if you have been reading this thread at all, but he whole point of this thread is to look at what packages are available for Angstrom ARM right here and now, because barring any cataclysmic apocalypse, what we see right now will very likely be whats available, in addition to any custom software, to Pandoras everywhere the day they ship.

Give me a break. Voice a legitimate concern, not speculate what could or could not happen if you don't get the module that makes a Playstation controller vibrate. Gosh, wait until November when you get the darn thing before complaining about what's there and what's not.

You don't think the lack of foreign language support is a legitimate concern? The rest of the world would like to have a word with you. This isn't another one of those want-it-all keyboard layout points, either. It's not an aesthetic thing, or even a matter of making it easy to use foreign languages, we're talking about whether or not it can even support those languages.

Drive away? I hope I run over before they drive away. My terrible attitude is purposefully rude. None know what is to come and yet they complain as if its a right that I shouldn't complain against.

Noisome

Haven't you even paid attention to what the devs have been saying? Maybe a month ago there was a big thread about the possibilities of Ubuntu, and amidst the distro fanboyism, the most important point in favor of an Ubuntu/Debian distro is the repository size. This here is a perfect example of a real world situation where said repository size is not just a benefit, but to some people, a requirement.

Last edited by a moderator:
even I could understand angstrom is there because it's tuned for ARM processors :p but if you are looking for some other distro with a bigger software base, you can still boot your favorite distro directly off the SD (you'll have xubuntu on it, for example)
so angstrom is gonna be the default bootup small and fast distro, while you can always have your custom linux to boot, if you'd like so :)
As the community will naturally grow, be sure you will see ports of bigger things...

I have a feeling that many of the great apps, other than game emulators will be realized throughout a few months. Maybe a year into its life. Believe me I'm more interested in a play all media player (h.264,flac,ogg,xvid,etc.) with great web browsing capabilities, but I don't see this happening in the near future. If this turns out to be a pure gaming handheld for the first few months, so be it. I'm fine with that. I know there are very knowledgeable people interested in building for this highly rare, and highly potential piece of hardware. And I'm happy to be a part of it. Heck, if it sits in my drawer until the apps I want or need for it, are realized, I'm still fine with it. Although I know I'll be one those people tinkering with it. I bought it for the potential, which it has a great deal of. I know if I want a program for it and I can't create it, chances are someone else wants that same program. And they may have the skills to produce it. Ok, now I'm rambling on. I'm just saying have faith in the community(at least it's not a baseless faith) There is a whole community just waiting to sink their teeth into this project. Be glad you're a part of it. I know I am.

I bet that one month after the november release, you will be able to play almost every video/music.
And a web browser will be there too, of course.
I think there's no worries to have.
Multimedia functionalities interest a lot of people (and me), as much as games.

ish420 said:
I have a feeling that many of the great apps, other than game emulators will be realized throughout a few months. Maybe a year into its life. Believe me I'm more interested in a play all media player (h.264,flac,ogg,xvid,etc.) with great web browsing capabilities, but I don't see this happening in the near future. If this turns out to be a pure gaming handheld for the first few months, so be it. I'm fine with that. I know there are very knowledgeable people interested in building for this highly rare, and highly potential piece of hardware. And I'm happy to be a part of it. Heck, if it sits in my drawer until the apps I want or need for it, are realized, I'm still fine with it. Although I know I'll be one those people tinkering with it. I bought it for the potential, which it has a great deal of. I know if I want a program for it and I can't create it, chances are someone else wants that same program. And they may have the skills to produce it. Ok, now I'm rambling on. I'm just saying have faith in the community(at least it's not a baseless faith) There is a whole community just waiting to sink their teeth into this project. Be glad you're a part of it. I know I am.
Don't worry ;)
There is bunch of talented maemo devs, that will make it happen :)
The potential of the Pandora has already attracted many people outside the gaming scene.

What's with all the whine?

Grow up, people.

As for Angstrom ( screw native symbols ), i'm optimistic about it. It looks promising, optimally designed, and a fairly large repository that caters most of the needs of a Pandora user. Well picked.

Gilrad said:
blah blah blah lack of language support makes pandora useless blah blah etc.

No one said you cant run a different linux distribution.

Foreign language support will most likely happen as time goes by, but apparently you have a decent grasp of the English language so until there is foreign language support, enjoy all the other features that you seem to be overlooking.

It's great that there is a large repository for Angstrom. And as far as I know, ubuntu is slower and requires more resources than Angstrom, but correct me if I'm wrong. And there is a video of ubuntu running so that means its most likely going to be available.

You are just upset because it doesn't have one piece of software that you want. Wait and see what happens. And it's not like anyone held a gun to your head and forced you to buy a Pandora early.

How the hell did you get
lack of language support makes pandora useless

out of

If Angstrom can't make my Pandora an electronic dictionary, then its useless to me

... In context of Ubuntu being able to?

Seriously guys, get your heads out of your asses for a moment and stop grasping for arguments. All my questions have been answered by people who are both helpful and actually read posts, so how about you find some other threads to troll around and flame for no apparent reason?

ish420 said:
Believe me I'm more interested in a play all media player (h.264,flac,ogg,xvid,etc.) with great web browsing capabilities, but I don't see this happening in the near future.
You're right. It won't happen in the near future, but that's only because it already happened in the past. :rolleyes:

There are two plays-everything-you-can-throw-at-it media players for Linux, and one of them was already ported. The very first Pandora video we ever saw was MPlayer running on Squidge's OMAP3 dev board. Similarly, Firefox has been ported for both Angstrom and Arm Ubuntu, so you already have that option with either OS. There's a video of Ubuntu + Firefox runing on the Pandora here.

Gilrad is right. You seem desperate to find problems where none exist. This is a bit funny, since he was also claiming that calamity would ensue if his program wasn't available immediately.

Chip said:
ish420 said:
Believe me I'm more interested in a play all media player (h.264,flac,ogg,xvid,etc.) with great web browsing capabilities, but I don't see this happening in the near future.
You're right. It won't happen in the near future, but that's only because it already happened in the past. :rolleyes:

There are two plays-everything-you-can-throw-at-it media players for Linux, and one of them was already ported. The very first Pandora video we ever saw was MPlayer running on Squidge's OMAP3 dev board. Similarly, Firefox has been ported for both Angstrom and Arm Ubuntu, so you already have that option with either OS. There's a video of Ubuntu + Firefox runing on the Pandora here.

Gilrad is right. You seem desperate to find problems where none exist. This is a bit funny, since he was also claiming that calamity would ensue if his program wasn't available immediately.

The only thing left to do is to utilise the different OMAP3 enhancements(DSP) by adding optimized code to mplayer :)

It would be interesting to know if this Player has full OMAP Hardware Support now. (DSP, etc...) At least it was enough Time since the first Videos for a "quick software port" mutating into a "full Hardware supported Video Player badass" :)

fusion_power said:

It would be interesting to know if this Player has full OMAP Hardware Support now. (DSP, etc...) At least it was enough Time since the first Videos for a "quick software port" mutating into a "full Hardware supported Video Player badass" :)

Don't underestimate the effort to implement it. You also need the detailed hardware info and/or drivers.

Gilrad said:
How the hell did you get
lack of language support makes pandora useless
out of

If Angstrom can't make my Pandora an electronic dictionary, then its useless to me

... In context of Ubuntu being able to?

Seriously guys, get your heads out of your asses for a moment and stop grasping for arguments. All my questions have been answered by people who are both helpful and actually read posts, so how about you find some other threads to troll around and flame for no apparent reason?

Maybe you should read my other post again. I was saying you can use ubuntu or other arm linux distributions that may have the software you need. You seemed to be bitching about Angstrom being the default os mainly because there wasn't dictionary/translation software in the repository. I wasn't trolling or flaming.

But since you quoted my quote of your large whiny post I was replying to out of context, AND you called me a troll, you know what you can go and do to yourself. Or do I have to spell it out for you?

fusion_power said:

For that, we would need to license the codecs from ti, and I think Craig just wants to keep the price the same rather than asking people to pay towards the licensing fees.

Maybe in the future, someone will create some free open source codecs. They still may not be able to ship them with Pandora (patents) but it should be possible to have them as free downloadable software.

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
People need something like TCPMP was for palm os and especially the zodiac :)
Yes, and win CE. It was a pearl of low level optimizing :)

For that, we would need to license the codecs from ti, and I think Craig just wants to keep the price the same rather than asking people to pay towards the licensing fees.

Maybe in the future, someone will create some free open source codecs. They still may not be able to ship them with Pandora (patents) but it should be possible to have them as free downloadable software.

Ti DSP Bridge is supported in the kernel I presume (or at least can be re-compiled in)?

If so that's fine (if not, buying a Pandora as a DSP dev platform for the next Maemo device will have been a mistake), far more interesting to write our own than pay money ;)

does this mean Pandora wont have built in 8 track support and a full traditional Chinese keyboard?, no quantum matrix processor and realtime raytracing?, no holographic display and surround sound 22.6?, no sub etheral matter transporter and a full size interactive groupie simulator?..............

OMG IT`S USELESS TO ME.....

I mean, its ONLY going to be the most sophisticated handheld on the planet , capable of being configured to do EXACTLY what you want it to do.... how useless, useless, dumb, dumb......PATHETIC!

oh!...and get off my lawn, in my day we had computers that had less memory than any icon on your desktop....and we where glad of it, non of these fancy coloured displays either, real men read hex straight from the LED array :p

there does seem a high proportion of "spoilt brat" on this forum atm, what next?

OMG, it doesn`t have a chrome stripe across the front....IT`S USELESS TO MEEEEEEE!!!!!

hobbyman

I've been having a poke around the Angstrom repository to see what's on offer, and I have to say that I'm most happy about the presence of nano. :) It's my favourite text-editor, and the fact that it's available means I'll be able to be productive with the Pandora from early on. Thanks guys. :D

Chip said:
Isn't it, though... Considering that Maemo has Gilrad's little functionality piece purportedly, all one needs to do is to make a bitbake recipe for SCIM using the source tree plus patches for Maemo and then do what minimal fit and finish work needs to be done to it at that point, tuning the patches/recipe accordingly.

Angstrom makes it simple for the skilled to add to a distribution through OpenEmbedded. All anyone has to do is ask.

I will, however, observe that it's silly to say something "useless" to you without <foo> when you haven't a clue how difficult/easy <foo> would be to add to the thing in question. In this case, everyone's going "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" on something that is rather simple to remedy in Armstrong for the Pandora.

Everyone. PLEASE quit going "oh noes" over stuff that's "not been ported" as it's not as big a deal as you all keep making it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back