Angstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.
hobbyman II said:
there does seem a high proportion of "spoilt brat" on this forum atm, what next?
It didn't used to be like that. I think it will subside once everyone has their Pandoras and the real fun starts. Or so I hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
lardman said:
Ti DSP Bridge is supported in the kernel I presume (or at least can be re-compiled in)?

Yes, it's part of Linux-omap.

Prometheus said:
I've been having a poke around the Angstrom repository to see what's on offer, and I have to say that I'm most happy about the presence of nano. :) It's my favourite text-editor, and the fact that it's available means I'll be able to be productive with the Pandora from early on. Thanks guys. :D
vi or die :)

sold said:
Maybe you should read my other post again. I was saying you can use ubuntu or other arm linux distributions that may have the software you need. You seemed to be bitching about Angstrom being the default os mainly because there wasn't dictionary/translation software in the repository. I wasn't trolling or flaming.
Or maybe... Just maybe I wasn't arguing that with you, because my initial concerns have already been satisfactorily answered (again, read freaking posts) by people who read entire posts and wish to be somewhat helpful. But hey, since you want to argue so much, sure! I'll humor you. The Pandora is a useless piece of crap because it doesn't do exactly what I want it to. There. Now when you make yourself feel important, it can be on something I actually WRITE.

So, to summarize for those who can't read (who are STILL turning up :rolleyes: ):

-I was concerned about how useful Angstrom was within the context of my needs.
-Helpful members let me know that there really isn't a concern, and explained why.

And that's it, really. I feel as though I should tell people to stop grasping for arguments, but I would be repeating myself, and apparently that didn't help anyway, as there are still people coming in who are claiming I am saying something I didn't.

NearTao said:
Prometheus said:
I've been having a poke around the Angstrom repository to see what's on offer, and I have to say that I'm most happy about the presence of nano. :) It's my favourite text-editor, and the fact that it's available means I'll be able to be productive with the Pandora from early on. Thanks guys. :D

I'd rather not attempt to write a novel in vi, for some reason... :lol:

lardman said:
far more interesting to write our own than pay money ;)
And, that's a fact. While it'll be nice to be able to do MPEG2/4 or h.264 (Yeah, yeah, I know...h.264 is properly described as an MPEG4 advanced codec...hush... ;)) in the thing, if it's not out immediately, I'd be just as happy with Theora support out of the box. :D

Prometheus said:
They're just vi-ing for your mindshare on things. :D

I cannot figure out why there is even a concern for SCIM support. The pandoras were sold in numerous European countries other than GB, surely to a few developers. I would think that SCIM would be a top priority for non-English devs/porters

As for the concern that SCIM is somehow tied to O:-||rg, I don't think this is true. From the impression I get from their website (http://www.scim-im.org/), it seems to only be tied to the GTK libs and glibc.

At the very least, there are no OpenOffice dependencies when installing scim packages in Ubuntu. I doubt it'll be a big deal.

Nat said:
As for the concern that SCIM is somehow tied to O:-||rg, I don't think this is true. From the impression I get from their website (http://www.scim-im.org/), it seems to only be tied to the GTK libs and glibc.
If anything, SCIM is tied to X.

Gilrad said:
sold said:
Maybe you should read my other post again. I was saying you can use ubuntu or other arm linux distributions that may have the software you need. You seemed to be bitching about Angstrom being the default os mainly because there wasn't dictionary/translation software in the repository. I wasn't trolling or flaming.
Or maybe... Just maybe I wasn't arguing that with you, because my initial concerns have already been satisfactorily answered (again, read freaking posts) by people who read entire posts and wish to be somewhat helpful. But hey, since you want to argue so much, sure! I'll humor you. The Pandora is a useless piece of crap because it doesn't do exactly what I want it to. There. Now when you make yourself feel important, it can be on something I actually WRITE.

So, to summarize for those who can't read (who are STILL turning up :rolleyes: ):

-I was concerned about how useful Angstrom was within the context of my needs.
-Helpful members let me know that there really isn't a concern, and explained why.

And that's it, really. I feel as though I should tell people to stop grasping for arguments, but I would be repeating myself, and apparently that didn't help anyway, as there are still people coming in who are claiming I am saying something I didn't.

I'm seriously hoping there is some kind of language barrier here. Not to say your english isn't good, just maybe there is a problem with reading and comprehension.

No one was grasping for arguments, you came across demanding. You sounded whiny and people responded to that and STILL answered your questions. Now let me point out a few things.

- You were shit-canning the default OS because it doesn't have what you want. That my friend is a little childish.

- After sounding like a baby without its' bottle, you were still lucky enough to get an answer other than "go fuck yourself". And now you're getting cocky on top of it. :rolleyes:

- It seems you are going to be relying on other people to port software for you to use, so get off your high horse.

- If you bothered searching, you would have found some info about ubuntu on Pandora.

- You sound like a douche-bag. And you quoted me out of context. And now you are getting condescending, which I find both rude and insulting.

- Next time you want to argue, don't quote people out of context to strengthen your argument.

-"Now when you make yourself feel important, it can be on something I actually WRITE."

Blow me.

sold said:
I'm seriously hoping there is some kind of language barrier here. Not to say your english isn't good, just maybe there is a problem with reading and comprehension.
What, you're hoping he can't understand? :blink:

sold said:
- You were shit-canning the default OS because it doesn't have what you want. That my friend is a little childish.
Childish? Let me show you a few examples of childish: Bolded from within the context for your comprehension and for my convenience.
sold said:
- After sounding like a baby without its' bottle, you were still lucky enough to get an answer other than "go fuck yourself". And now you're getting cocky on top of it. :rolleyes:
Sounds like you.
sold said:
- It seems you are going to be relying on other people to port software for you to use, so get off your high horse.
Ooh, Sounds like you.
sold said:
- You sound like a douche-bag. And you quoted me out of context. And now you are getting condescending, which I find both rude and insulting.
Again, sounds like you.
Oh and lets not forget the completely unhelpful:
sold said:
You sit there and criticize him for something by doing the same thing in an entirely different level of magnitude. Sounds extremely childish to me. Now, wouldn't it have just been quicker / faster, and more pleasant for everyone involved to just provide useful information instead?

I answered his question about ubuntu being available. I explained there would be alternative linux distributions to Angstrom.

I don't hope he can't understand, I hope his lack of comprehension is because english isn't his native language, not because he was dropped on his head as a child.

BTW you should talk about being childish. You just got involved in the argument and displayed the same behaviour as myself And Gilrad.
And to top it off, you basically resorted to the old "I know you are, but what am I?" mentality of primary school children. "Ooh, sounds like you!" Gimme a break you wanker.

Basically, this entire debate is completely off topic anyway, so congratulations on your exemplary forum etiquette numb-nuts. Way to lead by example.

Prometheus said:
NearTao said:
Prometheus said:

Heh I guess I can understand that, but for the serious vim users out there there is no substitute. I'm the author of a number of technical books and I can tell you that I've written them all using vim.

Oh and to stay within the topic of this thread, I'm not sure why it matters all too much whether distribution A or distribution B is default on the Pandora since everyone is indicating you can, for instance, load Xubuntu off of an SD card. Personally I'd rather the default OS on the Pandora be optimized for the main things the device is made for--games, media, and maybe web browsing. I plan to use the device like a small computer myself but I figure if I need tools outside of the default OS I can always either port them myself, or use Xubuntu.

Flame war GO. As someone who offered (somewhat?) helpful responses without focusing on Gilrad's attitude, I suppose I can offer input from "outside" so to speak:

Gilrad was being an ass. He did say Angstrom was useless to him, but his tone was very strong at a time that it didn't need to be - he had clearly not done his homework before getting pissy. Now that said, really, the flaming wasn't completely necessary either. Just point out where his assumptions are incorrect and move on. Let's at least act like grown ups, shall we?

EDIT: and back on topic, it looks like I'm gonna have to port Audacious...hmm...

Agreed dude. And I wanna apologize to everyone for getting all pissed off. But I did try and help first.

Audacious looks like it would be great for Pandora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back