Announce: Nethack 0.51

It's possible that I messed it up somehow. I have re-uploaded the file.
It is working now, download already told me that there was a slightly bigger download coming in :D

I'm cool now. B)

Thanks!

Marco

Kannibaal posted on Jul 16 2006 at 02:00 PM said:
It's possible that I messed it up somehow. I have re-uploaded the file.
It is working now, download already told me that there was a slightly bigger download coming in :D

I'm cool now. B)

Thanks!

Marco
Sorry for the trouble, not sure what I did wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Downloaded, played it a bit, and it all seems to work well. The 'abcdef' keyboard is back, the annoying tiles bug is mostly fixed ( happened to me once in this release ) and the menus are better structured.

Oh, while reading the readme file of the nethack ascii release, I saw the following line:

* Set CPU speed to 100MHz during gameplay for extended battery life.

Do you already underclock the cpu in your version? If not, could you please add that? The difference between the ascii and your version mostly should be in the graphics/input, so I think you should be able to underclock as well.

Thanks a lot for your work on this!

DaveN posted on Jul 18 2006 at 06:35 AM said:
Downloaded, played it a bit, and it all seems to work well. The 'abcdef' keyboard is back, the annoying tiles bug is mostly fixed ( happened to me once in this release ) and the menus are better structured.

Oh, while reading the readme file of the nethack ascii release, I saw the following line:

* Set CPU speed to 100MHz during gameplay for extended battery life.

Do you already underclock the cpu in your version? If not, could you please add that? The difference between the ascii and your version mostly should lie in the graphics/input, so I think you should be able to underclock as well.

Thanks a lot for your work on this!
Adding an underclocking option is on the list for stuff to do soon. Thanks for your testing!

On a related note: one of the things that significantly speeded up gameplay in my port was to disable all compression in config.h.

mwolson posted on Jul 18 2006 at 08:41 AM said:
On a related note: one of the things that significantly speeded up gameplay in my port was to disable all compression in config.h.
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that! Congratulations on your release!

I submitted verision 0.6 to the archive site yesterday; presumably it will appear eventually.

Besides fixing bugs, for version 0.7 I want to focus on making the recovery mechanism as rock-solid as I can so that a loss of power or a program freeze will not result in a lost game. The crash recovery feature currently works most of the time, but I don't really like the way it is implemented so I intend to rewrite it.

I'll be collecting my list of bugs that still need fixing and posting it to the list shortly. I think the game is pretty good at this point and there isn't a huge hurry for a new release but I do want to keep working on it steadily.

Thanks everybody.

I submitted verision 0.6 to the archive site yesterday; presumably it will appear eventually.

Besides fixing bugs, for version 0.7 I want to focus on making the recovery mechanism as rock-solid as I can so that a loss of power or a program freeze will not result in a lost game. The crash recovery feature currently works most of the time, but I don\'t really like the way it is implemented so I intend to rewrite it.

I\'ll be collecting my list of bugs that still need fixing and posting it to the list shortly. I think the game is pretty good at this point and there isn\'t a huge hurry for a new release but I do want to keep working on it steadily.

Thanks everybody.

And thank you for all your work!

At the moment I have nothing to comment, while playing in the train everything works out ok.
After you post your buglist I will check if I can find some new bugs, but it is getting difficult ;) .

By the way, I am playing now with qwerty keyboard, autopickup, fast direction select, and optional crash recovery.

It took some time to getting used to autopickup and fast direction select (again) but it saves a lot of time and buttonclicks.

Everything is going so smooth now! The only real small niggle I have is that pressing start twice does not allow you to check the inventory. But I think that that was already on your todo list.

Marco

I was playing v0.6 last night, and everything seems to work very nicely :) I had a Ranger get pretty far, but I met up with a plains centaur who kicked my butt :(

However, at one point, I read a scroll of food detection... after I read it, the screen recentered itself and then immediately recentered on my character. If I remember correctly, vanilla Nethack gives you a moment to look at the map and see where all the food was before it gives control back to you. The food still showed up on the map after this, so I'm not sure what the actual behaviour should be. I would imagine this effect would also happen with a scroll of gold detection and maybe monster detection too.

Also, is Sokoban enabled? I don't think I've ever seen an entrance to it on the GP2X... I always liked Sokoban, as it gave you a nice way of getting some decent loot early in the game (as well as a ton of ways to abuse your luck :( )

--Zero

Ze_ro posted on Jul 25 2006 at 08:21 PM said:
I was playing v0.6 last night, and everything seems to work very nicely :) I had a Ranger get pretty far, but I met up with a plains centaur who kicked my butt :(

However, at one point, I read a scroll of food detection... after I read it, the screen recentered itself and then immediately recentered on my character. If I remember correctly, vanilla Nethack gives you a moment to look at the map and see where all the food was before it gives control back to you. The food still showed up on the map after this, so I'm not sure what the actual behaviour should be. I would imagine this effect would also happen with a scroll of gold detection and maybe monster detection too.

Also, is Sokoban enabled? I don't think I've ever seen an entrance to it on the GP2X... I always liked Sokoban, as it gave you a nice way of getting some decent loot early in the game (as well as a ton of ways to abuse your luck :( )

--Zero

Sokoban is enabled, I've already lost some promising characters there.... :blink:

And I've seen the blinking you mentioned too. I think it could be the More command waiting for a response? If there really is something special going on the screen could zoom out to show everything and then zoom back again after a keypress. (By the way, I like the zoooom effect while going from level to level. :p )

Marco

Ze_ro posted on Jul 25 2006 at 12:21 PM said:

--Zero
Thanks as always for the report.

I believe Sokoban is enabled. I know you can get there in wizard mode.

I've been playing this alot recently on the 2x.

I only played nethack for like a day once on my pc.

I ahve to say. it is fucking awesome. The interface is great. Graphics are nice. fun level is off the chart.

Excellent work!

Just played Nethack for the first time and it's very good game, so thanks for it!

But I've one question. Is there any way how to translate this gme to another language? All text seems to be in gpe file, but I don't know if there is some way how to edit strings in it (like with Restorator in dll or exe).

Eso Rimmer posted on Jul 26 2006 at 12:35 AM said:
Just played Nethack for the first time and it's very good game, so thanks for it!

But I've one question. Is there any way how to translate this gme to another language? All text seems to be in gpe file, but I don't know if there is some way how to edit strings in it (like with Restorator in dll or exe).
I believe this would be quite difficult.

Nethack is an open source project with code going back as far as the mid-1980s. No effort was made to make the program easy to translate -- there are many hard-coded strings in the code, and many cases where English grammar is assumed. Beyond that, the data file (nhdat) is built from a large number of text files. I mean a LOT of text. Just the extended help data for the Shift+Farlook command is about 50,000 words of text.

The place to start would be to see if anybody has tried to port the PC version of Nethack before, and work from that or else work on a PC translation first. Then for a gp2x version figure out how to merge in the changes that I made. The source code to Nethack is available from www.nethack.org. The source for my gp2x port version 0.51 is on archive.gp2x.de. I'll put up the 0.6 source shortly but it isn't really very different.

I have to think somebody has tried to translate Nethack before.

Just wish there was -some- kind of saving feature. Many games we're emulating weren't made for saving either, but we can still use save game status. :p

Just played Nethack for the first time and it\'s very good game, so thanks for it!

But I\'ve one question. Is there any way how to translate this gme to another language? All text seems to be in gpe file, but I don\'t know if there is some way how to edit strings in it (like with Restorator in dll or exe).
I believe this would be quite difficult.

Nethack is an open source project with code going back as far as the mid-1980s. No effort was made to make the program easy to translate -- there are many hard-coded strings in the code, and many cases where English grammar is assumed. Beyond that, the data file (nhdat) is built from a large number of text files. I mean a LOT of text. Just the extended help data for the Shift+Farlook command is about 50,000 words of text.

The place to start would be to see if anybody has tried to port the PC version of Nethack before, and work from that or else work on a PC translation first. Then for a gp2x version figure out how to merge in the changes that I made. The source code to Nethack is available from www.nethack.org. The source for my gp2x port version 0.51 is on archive.gp2x.de. I\'ll put up the 0.6 source shortly but it isn\'t really very different.

I have to think somebody has tried to translate Nethack before.

As far as I know there are 2 translations. One Spanish and one Japanese. And yes it is very difficult to translate also due to grammar rules being hardcoded.

Marco

Draken posted on Jul 26 2006 at 07:20 AM said:
Just wish there was -some- kind of saving feature. Many games we're emulating weren't made for saving either, but we can still use save game status. :p

Ah, but Nethack is *hardcore*! Save states would spoil the challenge ;)

Just wish there was -some- kind of saving feature. Many games we\\\'re emulating weren\\\'t made for saving either, but we can still use save game status. :p

Ah, but Nethack is *hardcore*! Save states would spoil the challenge ;)

You can play in wizard mode, which allows you to decide if you want to die..... (after being killed you will get the message Die? Y/N)

Be warned though that part of the charm of nethack is to learn from your deaths, not to learn from your saves.

Marco

I'm right now committing a cardinal sin. I'm posting a possible bug without checking to see if it has been mentioned yet. Boo! Hiss!

In .6, I tried playing a female gnome healer (Named Pedro... I have no idea why). For some reason, I can't cast any spells. It says I don't have enough energy, but I have enough spellpower left. Is "energy" something separate that you need to separately recharge or is this a bug?

EDIT: By the way, I died most heinously.

Magnulus posted on Jul 26 2006 at 08:05 AM said:
I'm right now committing a cardinal sin. I'm posting a possible bug without checking to see if it has been mentioned yet. Boo! Hiss!

In .6, I tried playing a female gnome healer (Named Pedro... I have no idea why). For some reason, I can't cast any spells. It says I don't have enough energy, but I have enough spellpower left. Is "energy" something separate that you need to separately recharge or is this a bug?
Don't worry about repeating bugs, the odds are not bad that I have forgotten or misplaced my notes about some bugs anyway. I'll look into this issue and let you know what I find. Thanks for the report!

Back