Another Gui Idea...

Tinman said:
- "Not Mounted" should be changed to something that Joe Public will immediately understand, something along the lines of "No Memory Card Inserted" or "Please insert Memory Card"
I agree. How about "Not Inserted" instead of "Not Mounted" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
Tinman said:
- "Not Mounted" should be changed to something that Joe Public will immediately understand, something along the lines of "No Memory Card Inserted" or "Please insert Memory Card"

That works :)

I mean for technical users, it would be second nature to see mounted, but yeah for the general folk not inserted would be better.

Squidge, just a question on the GUI. Will the language be separated in a .ini or a .lng file or something where a string of text per variable, so it would be easily translatable? Or is the gui just going to be in English. (Either one works for me, I was just wondering for the international community)

Squidge said:
Tinman said:

Or a nod to the arcadier retrogamers among us: a flashing "Insert SD" or "Insert Card" or something.

PSyMastR said:
Squidge, just a question on the GUI. Will the language be separated in a .ini or a .lng file or something where a string of text per variable, so it would be easily translatable? Or is the gui just going to be in English. (Either one works for me, I was just wondering for the international community)
Don't know. I'm not doing the GUI, and I know nothing about it, so I'm just as much in the dark as the rest of you.

Squidge said:
Tinman said:

Don't see the difference, If I have not mounted, how can I have inserted?

If I have not mounted, how can I have inserted?

It's true that you can't mount an sd card without inserting it into the device first. However, someone who has never used Linux understands when something says that the SD card is "Not Inserted". If you put "Not Mounted", they will post onto the forums questions such as "How do I mount an sd card?". If anyone puts "How do I insert an sd card?", then they will have there Pandora removed from them and replaced with something that requires less IQ to use (such as this)

Squidge said:
It's true that you can't mount an sd card without inserting it into the device first. However, someone who has never used Linux understands when something says that the SD card is "Not Inserted". If you put "Not Mounted", they will post onto the forums questions such as "How do I mount an sd card?". If anyone puts "How do I insert an sd card?", then they will have there Pandora removed from them and replaced with something that requires less IQ to use (such as this)

I was pretty sure that was supposed to be an innuendo :huh:

Squidge said:
PSyMastR said:
Don't know. I'm not doing the GUI, and I know nothing about it, so I'm just as much in the dark as the rest of you.

Ah Ok. I just assumed as I saw your bios thread and thought you were working on the OS as well.

I love this theme and I hope it will become the standard one!!
It's easy to have a good overview, all important elements are quickly accessible and as I see it, it's also no problem to extend it with new apps.

The only thing I want to add is that the colors (even if I personally like them) should be adjustable and not restrictive ;)
I've seen restrictions in themes for linux in matters of colors too many times before.

Keep on going to get it ready for PanodrOs ;)

Very good work and in comparison with the other images I've seen here the most professional also :)

Squidge said:

True, they will never see that step with the automounter, you insert, it mounts so the error should be they failed to insert. If it fails to mount that is a bigger problem and should throw it's own error about the filesystem type or media.

^
no comment on the innuendo?
and i agree. anyone who has used linux before would get the not mounted deal, but linux has how much market share? just being realistic, if someone who comes over from windows sees "sd card not mounted", they'll get confused.
poor, easily confused, general public.
and -1 for the flashing "insert sd card". it'd be cool for about 5 seconds, then it'd start getting on your nerves.

magicman5421 said:
if someone who comes over from windows sees "sd card not mounted", they'll get confused.
As Pandora is going to be Linux based that's not all they will be confused about. But at least if error messages are kept standard there should be help out there on t'internet.

I kinda like "not mounted" sounds exotic haha but if it is too technical how about just "No Card" that's simple enough.

Orkie said:
That is the Pandora's resolution, what do you mean? :S
If oyu feed it to teh simu-screen thing which was posted recently, you will see that it is not possible to recognize ANY chareckter of teh text.
So I think that was what he meant by "resolution" not the pixel counts :)

Creature XL said:
If oyu feed it to teh simu-screen thing which was posted recently, you will see that it is not possible to recognize ANY chareckter of teh text.
So I think that was what he meant by "resolution" not the pixel counts :)
Yes, but that isn't how it would look on the Pandora screen. Text scales poorly anyway and if this design were used on the Pandora, it would be rendered more smoothly since it would be using a TTF font in all likelihood. I'm not convinced that tool is really very useful. All it is doing is trying to scale an image down to a similar physical size, but your monitor still has its own limitations. Any 800x480 picture should look exactly the same on the Pandora or PC, only smaller. That tool scales the image which if course makes it lose detail.

Back