Another Gui Idea...

Orkie said:
Creature XL said:
If oyu feed it to teh simu-screen thing which was posted recently, you will see that it is not possible to recognize ANY chareckter of teh text.
So I think that was what he meant by "resolution" not the pixel counts :)
Yes, but that isn't how it would look on the Pandora screen. Text scales poorly anyway and if this design were used on the Pandora, it would be rendered more smoothly since it would be using a TTF font in all likelihood. I'm not convinced that tool is really very useful. All it is doing is trying to scale an image down to a similar physical size, but your monitor still has its own limitations. Any 800x480 picture should look exactly the same on the Pandora or PC, only smaller. That tool scales the image which if course makes it lose detail.Agreed, to a point. I like the app purely because it lets you see how tiny some things would be. Although you are right about quality/detail etc, sometimes you can see that things would be too tiny to be comfortable using for any period. Given that we don't have actual hardware to make an informed opinion the tool is the next best alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, I'd like this design. also I want to mention that the shoulder-buttons could be used for switching between different tasks and the menu, while different buttons (like the digipad) could be used for switching the tab inside the menu. I'd guess this would fit much better for this design than switching tabs with shoulder-buttons.

Mounting is nothing linux-specific, a lot of people do it on windows, too. Are you making fun of windows users? Go on :D
I like the idea of "Insert SD", not only because it's funny, but also because it's short and therefor less space will be lost :)

Another thing I'd like to see here is a favorite-tab where *guess what* your favorite applications are found.

It's great that the left side-bar reaches to the top, cause 4:3-games and emulators could use the design of the left-panel to build an always-accessible menu without the taskbar in fullscreen. Theirfor it would be great, if the left bar would be exactly 140px of width, so 640x480 would be left. Several ported apps could make use of this bar for placing their context buttons (for example mplayer may be alligned to the right so in 4:3 the bar wouldn't harm at all, in widescreen it might autohide) Would look well integrated.

Looks great, well, everything except the "instant pidgin mess". That seems a bit unsavory.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bird poo, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :eek:

This looks VERY much like my Nokia interface on my 770. Is the interface Maemo based or is it something that Nokia owns the rights to? I don't know if an interface style like that can be copyrighted or not but check so there are no problems before things get too far.

I love the interface on the Nokia, and the Pandora will actually run at decent speeds unlike my 770 so I would very much like to see this type of a GUI.

I hope everyone is as excited and anxious to get a Pandor as me, I put off buying an EeePC after I learned of Pandora.

IceBerg303 said:
This looks VERY much like my Nokia interface on my 770. Is the interface Maemo based or is it something that Nokia owns the rights to? I don't know if an interface style like that can be copyrighted or not but check so there are no problems before things get too far.
higglylm said:
So it's based on that, yes.

I really like this gui. Ever since I first saw it it's what I've been picturing the Pandora to look like. Even if it's not the one used, if it resembles that that would be awesome. But I wouldn't even care if it was command line, as long as it works. :x

higgylm said:
Please note :the bellow images are copyrighted and shouldn't be used without my permission (Excluding the Pandora logo and tango icons)
I'm not a lawyer, but the tango-icons are creativecommons-share alike, making your pictures cc-sa, too :) Otherwise you would be a licence-breaker asking for respecting your work, and that's something ridiculus.

conso said:
higgylm said:
Please note :the bellow images are copyrighted and shouldn't be used without my permission (Excluding the Pandora logo and tango icons)
I'm not a lawyer, but the tango-icons are creativecommons-share alike, making your pictures cc-sa, too :) Otherwise you would be a licence-breaker asking for respecting your work, and that's something ridiculus.

Well your defiantly not a lawyer because you couldn't be more wrong :), it doesn't work like that, thats why i listed copyright notices separately.

On a separate note thanks for all the great feedback guys

You put the copyright notices seperate, but still use the icons inside your picture. The icons are separate and independent works in themselves, but your picture isn't. That makes the picture a derived work, so the share-alike part of the licence would have to be accepted... that's how I interpret it and many other people do.

If you would produce a GUI and use the icons inside, you can licence the gui just as you like, but for a picture, that's a whole different thing. I don't know why you are producing a GUI anyway, if you want to keep the complete copyright. Most people here will very much prefer a GUI with a free licence to a GUI with a "ask me for permissions for everything" licence.

higgylm said:

Hi, Here my (unfinished) concept for a pandora GUI...

Just used tango icons for now to show where they would go, its based on a cross between the eeepc distro and nokia N8* series overall an easy to use professional looking gui, let me know what you think
I don't understand why you want to copyright a GUI mock-up for an opensource device. What do you hope to gain from copyright? And what exactly about it is copyright? You take other peoples icons, other GUIs mix them up, publish them on a forum and slap 'Copyright ' on them. Why? Given how the Pandora team has constantly distanced itself from anything patented etc, even now mplayer, surely copyright would just mean they stay as far away as possible? If someone wanted to take it and edit it and suggest an improvement they have to ask permission?

But you'll be happy to use someone else's code, right?

rahulgarg said:
TaG said:
Shock news: Pandora delayed until September as all the devs are too busy reading the forums.... ;)
Apparently that turned out to be true :)
There's many a true word spoken in jest.
Must admit, it seemed a silly throw away comment back then...

You seem to forget that although the pandora is an "Open source device" its still a commercial project, it will turn a profit, the only reason i decided to display the copyright notice is that there was some talk of the images (and i quote) "being stolen" and used for the pandora gui by Craig without contacting me for any kind of permission even though he was given my contact details by another user. A have no issue with Craig or anyone else using the imagery for a GUI so long as the do the right (legal) thing and ask for permission, im not against open source and wouldn't ask anything in return apart from being listed in the credits.

Ubuntu still keeps some of the rights to its logo and artwork making them not completely license free however ubuntu uses gnome icons in its distro does this meen ubuntu own the gnome icons? or that they should make their logo license free because of this? no they dont!

conso said:
You put the copyright notices seperate, but still use the icons inside your picture. The icons are separate and independent works in themselves, but your picture isn't. That makes the picture a derived work, so the share-alike part of the licence would have to be accepted... that's how I interpret it and many other people do.

If you would produce a GUI and use the icons inside, you can licence the gui just as you like, but for a picture, that's a whole different thing. I don't know why you are producing a GUI anyway, if you want to keep the complete copyright. Most people here will very much prefer a GUI with a free licence to a GUI with a "ask me for permissions for everything" licence.

the gui looks nice bit like maemo but with the tabs for diffrent apps at the top i like this one

higgylm
How do you expect things to look if i were to actually open Pidgin?
edit: Hmm, looking at my reply it looks I think it looks a bit aggresive, but it's not. I'm just curious

TaG said:
Orkie said:
Creature XL said:
If oyu feed it to teh simu-screen thing which was posted recently, you will see that it is not possible to recognize ANY chareckter of teh text.
So I think that was what he meant by "resolution" not the pixel counts :)
Yes, but that isn't how it would look on the Pandora screen. Text scales poorly anyway and if this design were used on the Pandora, it would be rendered more smoothly since it would be using a TTF font in all likelihood. I'm not convinced that tool is really very useful. All it is doing is trying to scale an image down to a similar physical size, but your monitor still has its own limitations. Any 800x480 picture should look exactly the same on the Pandora or PC, only smaller. That tool scales the image which if course makes it lose detail.Agreed, to a point. I like the app purely because it lets you see how tiny some things would be. Although you are right about quality/detail etc, sometimes you can see that things would be too tiny to be comfortable using for any period. Given that we don't have actual hardware to make an informed opinion the tool is the next best alternative.
Thanks TaG :)

i agree with you , and yes for font without real hardware it is difficult to know if is it readeable on Pandora ...
my little tool give only a idea not real screenshoot, only idea of size , not beauty ;)

and for this GUI i'm afraid font is too tiny for Pandora, maybe i'm wrong, too difficult without hardware ...

higgylm said:
Updated - All text made larger and easier to read, icons made bigger with text under and a system tray added
pandoraprotoal7.png
I was digging through the GUI threads and I think that this one is the nicest one. The only problem is that I would make fonts roughly twice as big. You know - Panora's screen is very small, try it on a paper model.

On my monitor it's close to scale 1:1 if I shrinked your image to 50% size. So here's how your idea can be fixed:

interface1.png

Anyway I'm not going to make a GUI design (or a poll ! - it's already been done), and Craig already said that it will be KDrive (whatever that is - I'm gonna check what's that). I just felt that your idea had to be fixed. And it's just software, so I don't care now. I want a Pandora first. Software can come later.

Hardware is much more important (that's why I was so concerned about keyboard, which cannot be fixed later).

Anyway I guess that if I won't like KDrive I'll just switch to my usual setting: sawfish+ROX. But here I'll need to use sawfish tabs extension. Because the only way to manage windows here is to use tabs, forget about dragging small windows on 4.3" screen.

Beware cosurgi - you're messing with copyright material and posting it on a public forum without legal permission and credits. ;)

Only kidding higgylm, but if it is copyright....

Back