Another Quick Question

aardbark

Still Fresh
If I place an order for a Pandora today, when will I recieve it?

(reading this forum, I think it says in late December?)

If I place an order for a Pandora today, when will I recieve it?

(reading this forum, I think it says in late December?)

Late December is the current estimate for batch 1 pre-orders dating back to September 2008.

The next batch is supposed to follow on straight after batch 1, so if you order now you won't get one until 2011.

If everything went smoothly (and it hasn't yet) maybe late February... maybe

Late December is the current estimate for batch 1 pre-orders dating back to September 2008.

The next batch is supposed to follow on straight after batch 1, so if you order now you won't get one until 2011.

If everything went smoothly (and it hasn't yet) maybe late February... maybe
If you say that batch2 will follow straight after batch1, why are you saying then that he wouldn't get it until late February ? :blink: ( Don't you think that One Month ™ is too long for shipping ? Theoretically you can ship every unit simultaneously, and everyone will get their unit in a matter of a few days - week. Damn, why shipping is sooo slow .... )

Thanks for the responces.

Im a little confused between batch 1 and 2. I know that Pandora consoles are still being built, and that the purchase money goes to paying for the unit you buy. But Im confused at whats going on.

I though batch 1 (that is, all the Pandora units in that batch) were finished and shipped already. And that they had started production on batch 2. The only batch 1 units left, are the ones that were orderd by people and never paid for.

So if I ordered one now, I would get a batch 2 unit, and the reason it would take so long (Feb of 2011) is because the unit needs to be made? So the people making the units, make a Pandora, then ship it out to the next person on the list. In a first come first served basis.

Im wondering how long that list is. If people ordered from batch 1 in 2008, and they get their units in 2011. Then if I ordered one now, would it not come till 2013?

I guess what I want is to be clear on just what is happening. And how long an order that is placed now, takes to be filled.

Thanks for the responces.

Im a little confused between batch 1 and 2. I know that Pandora consoles are still being built, and that the purchase money goes to paying for the unit you buy. But Im confused at whats going on.

There are really 2 batch 1s at this point, call them batch-1a and batch-1b. We all ordered at about the same time. Batch 1a was about the first 700 orders or so - give or take. Delivered from the first 900 or so produced Pandoras they include "1 nubbers" - people who jumped the queue to get a Pandora with only 1 working nub. All of batch 1a got the "old style" nubs which the Pandora team is working on replacing, and a higher % of them had to return their Pandoras than - hopefully - the rest of the batch 1 or batch 2 folks. I don't know which batch of folks will get the 3rd revision of the nubs that are socketed, rather than soldered directly to the board.

Producing that first 900 or so Pandoras - some of which were used to replace faulty units - evolved the OpenPandora team's manufacturing practices and showed the team where they had to make changes. They changed the nubs, the LCD cable, required the case manufacturers NOT to paint certain surfaces, had a resistor change to the board for wifi, and maybe did 1 or two other things for the shoulder buttons.

So, over 3k people from the total of the 1st round of pre-orders are still waiting their Pandoras. Group 1b since there has been so much time between the first several hundred released into the wild and now.

Then they'll start on the second group of pre-orders.

As for when, eventually is as good an estimate as any.

IF they've straightened things out between the various manufacturers, then batch 2 can start as soon as batch 1 is out the door, but the bulk of the parts that are being produced now will go to produce the rest of the first pre-order group. I believe.

If I remember right, they'll need 3k more cases for the rest of pre-order group 2, they'll definitely need more boards, but they may have enough nubs as I'm guessing they'll order as many of those as they need and the nub company can seem to produce them in crazy numbers once the testing is completed.

ED, Craig, or anybody from the team feel free to correct this if I've missed something.

Edit: in theory batch 2 shouldn't take nearly as long to fill as batch 1 as most of the kinks have been worked out. Board revisions are done. Banks shouldn't reject funds anymore. Hopefully another nub company doesn't go down the drink. The case issues seem to be largely resolved. They've worked out the assembly line for Craig's place - the things that worked, and the things that needed to be tweaked.

The biggest question, and probably the one not even the team can answer, is how responsive the component manufacturers will be to future orders of parts. If they get all but X part in a timely fashion, you still don't have a Pandora. X can be the cases, nubs, LCD cable, LCDs - though this doesn't seem to have been an issue, or boards.

The nubs seem to have been resolved.

I know they've talked about a different board manufacturer if that turns out to be a hang up, and if they HAD to they could move the case manufacturing to the U.K., and the Chinese holidays are coming up which may slow things down a bit, so we'll see. From the latest updates it seems like at least with this batch of parts things are "in line". We'll see if that holds for the next batch to finish up Pre-Order group 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Wardred, I feel a little more informed now.

While I was writing this topic question, somone on ebay was selling their Pandora. So I bought if for $550 to avoid any hastle. It said in the auction that it was unit number 700.

Now comming back and reading your information on the first 900 units, Im worried that I just made a mistake. Will the wifi or the nubs not work? The auction said that ift worked fine, but does that mean it will break soon?

i reccomend you make sure you get the warrenty, and maybe even have to confirm with OP that its in your name now? at least thats what i would do if i did that....

If you say that batch2 will follow straight after batch1, why are you saying then that he wouldn't get it until late February ? :blink: ( Don't you think that One Month ™ is too long for shipping ? Theoretically you can ship every unit simultaneously, and everyone will get their unit in a matter of a few days - week. Damn, why shipping is sooo slow .... )

Has anything gone smoothly with this project?

Yes they will have the cases, but as the situation at the moment, when will there be anything to put in them? They haven't started fabricating the boards for batch two yet! So while the plan has been that Batch 2 is to follow straight after batch 1 we don't know if there all set for that.

The boards are to be assembled somewhere in the USA might be the current factory might be a new one.

More nubs are required also.

Approximately 5 people have the job of assembling the Pandoras in Newcastle, not a big team to assemble AND ship 4000 Pandoras while also dealing with any RMA issues from Batch 1.

Now don't get me wrong I really hope that EVERYTHING is finally sorted and there is a reliable supply chain and the Pandora is readily available to anyone who wants one. But its fairly clear there won't be any batch 2 Pandoras by Christmas. There is then the Christmas shut down, leaving January for the production and shipping of 4000 Pandoras (and on the past record of 2 months TM that's optimistic). So allowing a bit of slippage, while trying not to dispense with the optimism gives us February. It should be noted that there are plenty of people on the forums that don't believe that batch 1 will be finished by February.

I believe the warranty is transferable, but I'd confirm that with the team and give them what details you can of your Pandora. Mainly if they know you're from batch 1a then they'll have an idea of when it shipped. I'd also ask the person you bought it from if he'd experienced any difficulties.

The wifi should work. Even on the old boards there was a resistor soldered to it to take care of the problem. The LCD should be fine, I believe most problems from that are from the first 150-200 units. I might be getting confused with something else.

The nubs may wear out slightly sooner than the newer nubs, but if they're working now, I wouldn't worry unduly about it. Even the original durability will suffice for most. Most people who had to return the nubs were because they didn't work properly from the get go.

I don't own one yet, and there are a few who've had to return their Pandoras in more than once, but I'd guess as long as it was working for the original purchaser it should continue to work for you.

Since you are getting a one nubbed unit, I really don't recommend doing too much to try to get it to work. You will be able to get it fixed at some point, but really the nubs aren't needed for a good Pandora experience. How this will be handled under warranty is a question all to itself. I wouldn't post a question on the forum on how to get your one nubbed Pandora fixed, you might get spontaneously combusted.

There are some variations between Batch 1a cases and the case that you might have. The newer cases are more solid, better paint where needed, and no painted buttons.

Things to look out for with your unit: if you notice a pink/purple/blue tinted and/or distorted screen while opening and closing your Pandora, you have a bad LCD cable which can be replaced under warranty. Since you have a nub that doesn't work, that leaves you with one left to fail. Other than that, this thing is pretty badass, enjoy it!

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Now comming back and reading your information on the first 900 units, Im worried that I just made a mistake. Will the wifi or the nubs not work? The auction said that ift worked fine, but does that mean it will break soon?

EvilDragon's personal pandora (one of the very first) is still in perfect working condition. We all thrust him enough, not to be lying.

you could have made a good investment (rather expensive)(i'd like a unit with a serial number x<100 myself)

or if you are not lucky you have bad parts and then you would have to return it. :(

it's a hard question to answer, let us know how it's going :)

This is the sellers responce when I asked him about any problems with the unit.

hey thanks for your purchase ill ship it today

thanks for your patronage , please leave positive feedback as soon as you can. And as to teh nub drift if you use left nub as mouse the pointer starts to move in one direction slowly you may be able to fix with calibration. thanks agian

It says left nub may drift a little. I think that is acceptible.

I am a little confused now though. Some of the responces have said something about a one nubber unit. What does that mean? The nubs are the little thumb pad things that rotate around right? I thought all the Pandora units had two nubs. One left and one on the right. What does a one nubber mean?

This is the sellers responce when I asked him about any problems with the unit.

hey thanks for your purchase ill ship it today

thanks for your patronage , please leave positive feedback as soon as you can. And as to teh nub drift if you use left nub as mouse the pointer starts to move in one direction slowly you may be able to fix with calibration. thanks agian

It says left nub may drift a little. I think that is acceptible.

I am a little confused now though. Some of the responces have said something about a one nubber unit. What does that mean? The nubs are the little thumb pad things that rotate around right? I thought all the Pandora units had two nubs. One left and one on the right. What does a one nubber mean?

For a limited time they offered one nub units for people that just wanted one right away. These are units that had one nub that was defective. My guess since it's a tedious process de-soldering the nub from the board they decided to just sell them outright.

And to answer another question in the thread, this project in entirety has been any thing but smooth.

:p Well if that is the case, I have a decent ammount of soldering expirience, I think I can repair it. Now I just need to know where I buy spare nubs :p

Unless the guy said you bought a one nubber, you should have a fully working unit. There are steps to calibrate the nubs, worth reading. Some have to calibrate more frequently, some rarely.

:p Well if that is the case, I have a decent ammount of soldering expirience, I think I can repair it. Now I just need to know where I buy spare nubs :p
You need to find out whether the unit you are buying is a unit that was sold as a one nubbed unit. People who followed these boards were able to take a one nubbed unit when they were available and move up the que to keep them from waiting for a fully functioning unit.

I'm not sure how a one nubbed unit would be repaired under warranty.

Units that were fully functioning are covered.

Do you see the difference?

Regarding soldering this yourself, there might be more to it than that, these things need to be calibrated etc. I'm not doubting your soldering skills, I'm just saying you might not want to void what warranty you might have by ripping the unit open and trying to fix a dead/dying nub that was defective from the start potentially if it was a one nubbed unit.

You are going to piss people on this board off if you keep asking for a nub and your unit was a one nubber to begin with. People jumped in line to take these defective units and their are hundreds waiting for their units since 2008.

As a current Pandora owner, let me tell you that the unit will work just fine with one working nub. You don't need to use the nubs. Eventually you can get this repaired. If your unit was sold as a fully functioning unit and the Pandora nub failed, you can send it in for new nubs under warranty, it could take several weeks to get it back. If your unit was sold as a one nubbed defective nub Pandora, you might want to wait a few weeks to see how/when nubs will be sold. You will also want to find out where this unit was purchased, UK or Germany, because the corresponding shop will handle the RMA etc.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Back