Any Boot Animation Details?

Sorry if it has been mentioned, but is there a way to suspend backlight activation until the LCD is ready?

Because as far as I am concerned the GP2X never inspired confidence with the LCD displaying whatever it felt like and the backlight activating on boot.

I hope you understand what I mean. Either blank the LCD before backlight power, or start backlight after loading an image.

parag0n said:
Since the LCD's backlight is PWM controlled, it could also fade in nicely :)
My Mac does this, I think it looks very classy (and relaxing).

+1 for Pandora doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
WarmFluffyUK said:
craigix said:
That is nice, any chance of some kind of animation on the pupils themselves, maybe slight focus of them, something like that before the blink to keep the animation happening.
Done, it's quite subtle as it looked false if I made the pupils focusing more prominent. I have also made the pupils look more realistic as they were blue before.
Link

I don't think I will be able to do any more today as I'm not well at the moment and going back to bed.

Personally, I am quite fond of Clare's Eyes4 animation, she did a really excellent job. Like Craig i was wondering if it would be possible to maybe add some barely perceptible motion noise to the eyes while they are paused between opening and blinking so that they look more human?

Also i thought it would be cool if during the blink you could blow out the rest of the color in the image to pure white so that the eyes dissappear in a parting shot of motion?

That would be my concept of the perfect animation for the pandora.

Great work, and i hope you are feeling better soon!

Craig said that he's not a fan of sound, but if my anim would have sound just breathing would be nice. I might add that but I thought about adding a heartbeat as well.

I'm not big on startup sounds either, meself (with the exception of the Nintendo DS :D), but I reckon the heartbeat idea sounds pretty neat (and I imagine could be a shorter clip than breathing?).

Kyosys said:
What bugs me with these eyes is that they look kind of... sad
Yep. I'd much rather them being scary.

spinghed said:
Just searching for some shots for work and found these videos:

istock blue eyes
I like this one.

And about the bootloader doing things, this can happen during linux boot, like the ubuntu splash.

Prometheus said:
I'm not big on startup sounds either, meself (with the exception of the Nintendo DS :D), but I reckon the heartbeat idea sounds pretty neat (and I imagine could be a shorter clip than breathing?).
Actually I was thinking of both the breathing with heartbeat, the current length of the animation would work really well.

Please. No eyes.

If I turn on my Pandora at the end of November and I get the eyes I will be very sad.

:(

ashdjones said:
Please. No eyes.

If I turn on my Pandora at the end of November and I get the eyes I will be very sad.

Relax, you can change it.

ashdjones said:
Please. No eyes.

lol :lol:

Squidge said:
ashdjones said:
Please. No eyes.

Relax, you can change it.

I'll change it to my own eyes, sad with massive dissapointment.

ashdjones said:
Please. No eyes.

What would you prefer to see as the boot animation? Sorry guys, work picked up again this weekend so I didn't have time to churn out the promised animation revisions. Depending on how today goes, I'm guessing I should be back on track

If we get the option to turn it off, what I think would be kind of cool for the eyes to do is having like a black screen, and as the eyes open the whole screen goes white, then back to black and then white again with the blinking and

banjeed said:
What would you prefer to see as the boot animation?
I'd like to see something that starts with a really dark background, probably black. The screen could then fill up with (say) light grey symbols of some sort. Then there'd be so many of these symbols they'd start scrolling upwards; really fast at first but then slowing down so you can sort of follow it. Yeah, that would rule.

Also, if there's some way to get a little picture in the corner (I don't know, like a bird or something?) that'd be cool. Although I could probably live without the bird part.

Oh, wait...

SteveM said:
banjeed said:
What would you prefer to see as the boot animation?
I'd like to see something that starts with a really dark background, probably black. The screen could then fill up with (say) light grey symbols of some sort. Then there'd be so many of these symbols they'd start scrolling upwards; really fast at first but then slowing down so you can sort of follow it. Yeah, that would rule.

Also, if there's some way to get a little picture in the corner (I don't know, like a bird or something?) that'd be cool. Although I could probably live without the bird part.

Oh, wait...

See, the problem is, if we show a bird just sittign in the corner, people might not know it's a bird unless it's flying. So we'd have to use some kind of flightless bird

Back