Any Boot Animation Details?

If you say we are allowed to change the animation to anything we want, do you have any idea of the file format it will use?

Kloplop321 said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
banjeed said:
Kloplop321 said:
azmodean said:
How about all kinds of (emulatable) systems, along with screenshots from indie games, gp2x, and finally a laptop all flying into a box, then the box closes and shakes a bit, opens, and a pandora pops out?
Banjeed, why don't you combine your animation with this guy's idea :rolleyes:

This sounds fantastic! I'm very willing to take on this project. Please keep the ideas running if you have any. This is great direction for a new animation. this is an open source console and I'd very much like to keep the community involved. (BTW, Clare. you're doing some amazing work. thank you)

You too hun, but don't let this get out of hand. We need something short and sweet and I don't think a boot animation shout be very complex or too long. That was my only criticism of your other animation: It's an excellent piece of work, but a little too complex for a boot animation for my tastes. For me, simple is better.

I would be very interested to see what you come up with though :)

yeah we don't need a full length movie, but we need one that at least doesn't have the person sitting there while the kernel is still loading :p

im still waiting on this boot animation... will there be sound?

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, don't forget that they're not shipping these until November. There's a lot of time for us to work on the boot animation.

Striker21 said:
If you say we are allowed to change the animation to anything we want, do you have any idea of the file format it will use?
I'm curious about this also, so I would also be grateful if anyone knows the answer to this at this time. :)

polkunus said:
Kloplop321 said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
banjeed said:
Kloplop321 said:
azmodean said:
How about all kinds of (emulatable) systems, along with screenshots from indie games, gp2x, and finally a laptop all flying into a box, then the box closes and shakes a bit, opens, and a pandora pops out?
Banjeed, why don't you combine your animation with this guy's idea :rolleyes:

This sounds fantastic! I'm very willing to take on this project. Please keep the ideas running if you have any. This is great direction for a new animation. this is an open source console and I'd very much like to keep the community involved. (BTW, Clare. you're doing some amazing work. thank you)

You too hun, but don't let this get out of hand. We need something short and sweet and I don't think a boot animation shout be very complex or too long. That was my only criticism of your other animation: It's an excellent piece of work, but a little too complex for a boot animation for my tastes. For me, simple is better.

I would be very interested to see what you come up with though :)

yeah we don't need a full length movie, but we need one that at least doesn't have the person sitting there while the kernel is still loading :p

im still waiting on this boot animation... will there be sound?

Not to cop out on this one, but you must understand that there is a ton of work involved in this. Unless you'd like to donate a few 3D models of NES, Genesis, etc, this is going to take some time. If enough people show interest in this idea, then I'm more than willing to take it more seriously. At the moment, it seems a little gray area to show deliberate depictions of "emulated" systems during the boot animation in my mind. What do you guys think? (please don't turn this into a piracy legal battle)

What are the developers take on it? Would they be willing to implement a user created boot as the default?

issue with sound is that Squide said the hardware was made so it could do a GIF for a boot thing, but if you want sound, the kernel has to load first and then the sound codecs, unless you find a dev willing to make a good bootloader for after the kernel to run as the engine. I think OGG with a GIF, MNG, or otherwise would be nice, as linux can easily support GIF and OGG, and MNG is a high possibility.

Hey guys,
I've uploaded a new eye animation. Blue eyes per request.
Blue Eyes
Let me know if you'd like to see anything else

banjeed said:
Hey guys,
Blue Eyes

Rip out the nose and make eyes dimm out, not fly to side. It's the best one (IMO).

peca said:
banjeed said:
Hey guys,
Blue Eyes

Rip out the nose and make eyes dimm out, not fly to side. It's the best one (IMO).

QFT.

gibberish said:
Vorporeal said:
peca said:
banjeed said:
Hey guys,
Blue Eyes

QFT.

yup

Ok Ok, how about this one?
Blue Eyes v2

Blue Eyes v2

Very cool.

banjeed said:
Blue Eyes v2

The new eyes sure look a lot less scary than those real-ish ones posted before.
I don't want to ask myself whether my Pandora is actually a sentient creature everytime I boot it up in the dark... *shudder*

I'm in for custom boot animations, though. It's just that people are already going to use their Pandora for all kinds of stuff, many people are even going to mod it or paint it. Sometimes I think since it IS an community project after all, maybe it should have some connecting element besides the raw specs. Otherwise people might forget that the Pandora actually belongs more to the community than to any single individual...

banjeed said:
Blue Eyes v2

Looks good. But I prefer a solution in good old Pixel-Art. ^_^ A "real" Animation of real Eyes is somehow to much (in appearence and File-size) and the Pandora is a retro-Console to, so maybe someone with Pixel-Animation Skills can do a Drawn Version, Manga style maybe?

...and is it possible to add the Pandora Logo somehow into the Eyes, maybe just a slightly indication of it?

Back