Any Update On The Wifi?

Alerino said:
Just out of the oven
http://twitter.com/evildragon1717
Well it's not much of a progress report, more like we're working hard on the problem but still have'nt solved it entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xenu said:
Alerino said:
Well it's not much of a progress report, more like we're working hard on the problem but still have'nt solved it entirely.
Sounds like a progress report to me? There's a chance they won't have it 100% done by the time it ships, so try not to be too disappointed by these incremental updates. :)

Yeah, any progress is good. And it's not like the wifi will be nonfunctional when we get it. Hell, it'll probably be fast enough for most Internet connections or at least any basic web browsing, streaming or gaming you might want to do. I imagine issues would come in with large file transfers over LAN.

From ED: notaz just managed to get solid 50kB/s WiFi connection on the Pandora! And I managed to connect my Pandora via Bluetooth PAN to my mobile :)

THAT sounds like progress to me!

paulguy said:
Yeah, any progress is good. And it's not like the wifi will be nonfunctional when we get it. Hell, it'll probably be fast enough for most Internet connections or at least any basic web browsing, streaming or gaming you might want to do. I imagine issues would come in with large file transfers over LAN.

Um, actually it was not even usable until a few days ago (as in - you couldn't even load a webpage.) You're seriously optimistic if you think that it'll be completely fixed to be able to stream stuff by the time Pandora ships (if it actually ships in April.) I'm not saying it won't happen, just that you shouldn't assume it will be.

Gruso said:
Xenu said:
Alerino said:
Sounds like a progress report to me? There's a chance they won't have it 100% done by the time it ships, so try not to be too disappointed by these incremental updates. :)
I didn't mean it like that. First of all I'm not disapointed, on the contrary I'm very thankful that they work hard and I believe that the wifi problem has high priority. What I meant was that we don't really know if they have made any real progress since the last update, ie that the driver is better, faster wifi and so on. What we know is that they working on it, but we already knew that.

Its not an easy problem to fix - as I understand it, this issue is related to the SDIO driver and interaction between Wifi and SD cards .. so there will have to be quite some work to make this happen properly, considering that both devices have different requirements (interrupt-driven, polling, etc.) .. so far nobody in the Linux world has tackled it head-on, due to the nature of SD drivers in general, but I think notaz is the right man for the job and if he's making progress it means that the right things are being done. So I'd say don't let this bother you too much - once a few more minds are looking at the problem, i.e. actually have Pandoras in their hands - we'll see a bit more of a final solution in place, but what we have right now is certainly workable enough to get the basic functionality happening ..

Xenu said:
Alerino said:
Just out of the oven
http://twitter.com/evildragon1717

The meaning of Progress is 'Have done something towards the end result <lim x as x->100>' it doesnt mean that it has been finished (100%)

So progress is 1%, 30% etc or if the result (total effort) is unknown then having a relative progress makes sense (eg much, a lot, quite there), which is what we have at the moment, as total effort can only be calculated if the problem has been found, and as ED said they are narrowing down the causes of that problem, after doing so probably they will be more specific, so take a deep breath and wait :) like most of us do .

Having to handle asynchronous interrupts is not an easy task, as most of the people in this thread are trying to say

Well... sounds like its being sorted. How badly is the system slowed down when using encryption?

Lets hope its sooner than later up to full speed wifi :)

torpor said:
Its not an easy problem to fix - as I understand it, this issue is related to the SDIO driver and interaction between Wifi and SD cards .. so there will have to be quite some work to make this happen properly, considering that both devices have different requirements (interrupt-driven, polling, etc.) .. so far nobody in the Linux world has tackled it head-on, due to the nature of SD drivers in general, but I think notaz is the right man for the job and if he's making progress it means that the right things are being done. So I'd say don't let this bother you too much - once a few more minds are looking at the problem, i.e. actually have Pandoras in their hands - we'll see a bit more of a final solution in place, but what we have right now is certainly workable enough to get the basic functionality happening ..
When all this SDIO<->LINUX problmems are known for a long time, Why was SDIO choosen for connecting the WIFI Chip? I've read in the german Forums, that "SPI" don't have any such problems so why wasn't SPI choosen instead of SDIO? ^_^
Do the Devs like challenges ore are there other reasons?

JayFoxRox said:
The module was picked when they weren't aware of the problems I think. When they noticed it it was too late to change. But I might be wrong.
I'm sure, MWeston knows exactly, what he was doing, so actualy I trust him. Maybe there is an importent reason to go the complicated way over SDIO instead of SPI.

fusion_power said:
JayFoxRox said:
The module was picked when they weren't aware of the problems I think. When they noticed it it was too late to change. But I might be wrong.
I'm sure, MWeston knows exactly, what he was doing, so actualy I trust him. Maybe there is an importent reason to go the complicated way over SDIO instead of SPI.

It was a TI part recommended by TI, and at the time there were no 'open' wifi chips, so there was little choice.

craigix said:
fusion_power said:
JayFoxRox said:

It was a TI part recommended by TI, and at the time there were no 'open' wifi chips, so there was little choice.
I was under the impression, that SPI is only the connection method between the WIFI Chip and the rest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Peripheral_Interface_Bus

notaz said:
Ikarus said:
There is some recent activity here (wl1251 gmane linux kernel updates) concerning the wl1251 wifi chipset (SDIO fixes as well) that pandora is using.
Guess where that came from ;)

String FindWhoIsTheMysteryPerson(String sName)
{
if("notasas-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org".contains(sName.Replace("z", "sas")))
{
return "it's a you";
}

return "AH-AH-AH!/n YOU DIDN'T/n SAY THE/n MAGIC WORD/n"; //Jurassic park quote :p
}

Now lets think ... ;)

Back