Any Update On The Wifi?

Klarth said:
What's the maximum possible wifi speed on Pandora?
Theoretically 96Mb/s, 96 million bits per second = about 12 megabytes per second. Due to overhead and imperfect conditions, probably more like 1-3MB per second I would guess, but that's just a BStimate. Last I think we've been told is a successful 50KB/s connection.

fusion_power said:
When all this SDIO<->LINUX problmems are known for a long time, Why was SDIO choosen for connecting the WIFI Chip? I've read in the german Forums, that "SPI" don't have any such problems so why wasn't SPI choosen instead of SDIO? ^_^
Do the Devs like challenges ore are there other reasons?
Don't have SPI. There was a free I2C line that could have been used, and was originally going to be available on the EXT port, but the nubs were changed and given that I2C line. SPI also has a top standards bit rate of 70Mb/s (I recall the OMAP3 is actually a lot slower but don't know the real value) whereas SDIO is 24Mhz quad bits for a max of 96Mb/s.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
Theoretically 96Mb/s, 96 million bits per second = about 12 megabytes per second. Due to overhead and imperfect conditions, probably more like 1-3MB per second I would guess, but that's just a BStimate. Last I think we've been told is a successful 50KB/s connection.
Before anyone gets upset, the theoretical max speed of 802.11g is 54 Mbit/s (about 6 MB/s), so the SPI bus won't be the limiting factor here.

On the other hand, I have wireless-G here and I've never gotten more than 16-18 Mbit/s (copying files over LAN, of course, my Internet connection's nowhere near fast enough for Wi-Fi to be a bottleneck). I can't be sure that it's impossible to get more, but I've never heard of anyone getting more than 20-24 Mbit/s.

Tom` said:
Before anyone gets upset, the theoretical max speed of 802.11g is 54 Mbit/s (about 6 MB/s), so the SPI bus won't be the limiting factor here.

On the other hand, I have wireless-G here and I've never gotten more than 16-18 Mbit/s (copying files over LAN, of course, my Internet connection's nowhere near fast enough for Wi-Fi to be a bottleneck). I can't be sure that it's impossible to get more, but I've never heard of anyone getting more than 20-24 Mbit/s.
People always forget the half-duplex nature of radio links. 802.11b/g normally passes all traffic through the AP, so you'd get half the network speed copying things from one wireless node to another, at best. Maybe they did something about that with 802.11N, but that won't matter to the Pandora. Ad-hoc networks, on the other hand, do direct transfers but pay for it in battery life, as they don't have rest periods with scheduled wakeups. And I recall the specs forbidding G speeds (>11Mbps) in ad-hoc mode, though many drivers could be tweaked to do it anyway.

Yeah, we're all pretty busy with this :)
We're narrowing the issue more and more... can't tell how fast we'll get it fully working, could be today, could be tomorrow, could be in a month... but basically the whole team is working for nearly 24/7 on this... we're trying the best we can.

Please don't ask me for case / board / etc. updates, as I'm also fully concentrating on WiFi right now (tweaking, testing, etc.) so I didn't have time to follow the case production process recently... Fatih will take good care of that, I'm sure :)

Okay, back to WiFi :)

EvilDragon said:
Yeah, we're all pretty busy with this :)
We're narrowing the issue more and more... can't tell how fast we'll get it fully working, could be today, could be tomorrow, could be in a month... but basically the whole team is working for nearly 24/7 on this... we're trying the best we can.

Please don't ask me for case / board / etc. updates, as I'm also fully concentrating on WiFi right now (tweaking, testing, etc.) so I didn't have time to follow the case production process recently... Fatih will take good care of that, I'm sure :)

Okay, back to WiFi :)

Thank you sir, your work is beyond appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

Back